The (Grateful) Dead Thread

Original Title: The Great Tigerman Challenge of 2005

The challenge? To stump Tigerman with a real or hypothetical situation for which there is no apropos lyric by the Grateful Dead!

Can it be done? I’ll go first:

Sometimes I just feel like a strung out engineer piloting a train that left the central station and the switchman’s asleep and we’re probably going to hit some train that’s on the wrong track…

Okay, joking. No, for real, here goes:

My neighbor’s sister just had liposuction performed on her thighs. She’s pissed about the scars, though, and may sue.

Eh? Tigerman? Stumped you on this one, eh?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]Okay… here goes:

My neighbor’s sister just had liposuction performed on her thighs. She’s pissed about the scars, though, and may sue.

Eh? Tigerman? Stumped you on this one, eh?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m kinda stumped. The first lyrics that come to mind are from the Who’s Its a Legal Matter… and the Dead and The Who were tight. The Dead used The Who’s equipment when they played in Egypt. But, I don’t think the Dead ever played Its a Legal Matter.

The Dead did, however, frequently play Bob Dylan’s Ballad of a Thin Man, often with Dylan and twice without him. Bob Weir, rather than Dylan, sang this. I would tweak the title to this:

Ballad of a Thin Woman

And, I would quote the following lyrics [with the one tweak]:

[quote]You’ve been with the professors
And they all [dis]like your looks
With great lawyers you have
Discussed lepers and crooks[/quote]

Damn. You’re good. Okay, I give. Anyone else?

A man has just been caught in the pigpen having sexual relations with a chicken while standing on his head.

There, let’s see the Dead deal with that :laughing:

[quote=“Tetsuo”]A man has just been caught in the pigpen having sexual relations with a chicken while standing on his head.

There, let’s see the Dead deal with that :laughing:[/quote]

[quote]Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/quote]

–“Scarlet Begonias”

This is not an attemp to stump you Tigerman, I just want to know if you are aware of etree.org. (I think that’s the name, I can check if you want to know) It’s a website where they trade recordings of various tape friendly bands. The Grateful Dead is very popular and people seem to have tons of recordings by them.

I am, thank you. I think twocs also cited that site. Unfortunately, I’m to stupid to figure out how to work that site… I think its the one with bittorrant or something like that. You seem to need to convert file types… and that’s just way over my head in terms of technical capability.

I use Xfactor. Its a good site for my iMac.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]A man has just been caught in the pigpen having sexual relations with a chicken while standing on his head.

There, let’s see the Dead deal with that :laughing:[/quote]

Too easy…

First

Then, with one little lyrical tweak [to change the gender of the subject]:

[quote=“Grateful Dead in Hell in a Bucket”]
Ahh [you] sweetie little soft-core pretender
Somehow baby got hard as it gets
With [his] black leather chrome spiked suspenders
And [his] chair and [his] whip and [his] pets

Well we know you’re the reincarnation
Of the ravenous Catherine the Great
And we know how you love your ovations
And the Z-rated scenes you create
And the Z-rated scenes you create[/quote]

How’s that? :laughing:

I’m well-versed in the Tao of Jerry… :slight_smile:

Damn you! Damn you to HELL! :laughing:

Where is the challenge in this?

Ah, how about making it something more Taiwan specific. See if he gets out of this one… probably will.

I went by the stinky tofu stand tonight and bought some, extra spicy.

Hmmm… This lacks some specificity… but…

[quote=“The Grateful Dead in Can’t Come Down”]
Well I’m flying down desert streets
Wrapped in mother’s winding sheets
Asbestos boots on flaming feet
Dreaming of forbidden treats
When uniforms on nighttime beats
Ask me where I’m going and what I eat[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

[url=http://www.well.com/deadsongs/]A hallmark of the lyrics to Grateful Dead songs is their ability to reveal and conceal simultaneously. Every time you think you have a handle on what a song is about, what a song “means,” someone will come along who has heard it differently, who can offer a different perspective.

This conference will allow for discussion, questions, commentary, interpretive forays, etc., on a song-by-song basis. Alternate readings? Bring 'em on! Complex, well thought out interpretations? Great! Brief glimpses of revealed truth, off-the-wall theories, scholarly footnotes, whatever you think has some bearing on the song? Please share with other readers!

This is an experiment in group-mind lyrical awareness.[/url]

Ahhhhhhh, one last try for the night… let’s put Tigerman and the G/dead in the same situation and see how it goes.

“Tigerman is reported to have quoted greateful dead lyrics with clients when discussing legal matters. It has also been stated that he gets confused between actual laws and dead lyrics.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, from Amgamalin Street Suite, specifically the Roseanne portion thereof:

There are several references to other songs written or covered frequently by the Grateful Dead in this song.

ok, might be a bit tasteless if you think of this as a game, but… I just wonder if the GD have anything to say about…

“The Tsunami hit 12 countries really hard.”

If he can pull this one off, well, TM is a legend.

[quote=“Bassman”]ok, might be a bit tasteless if you think of this as a game, but… I just wonder if the GD have anything to say about…

If he can pull this one off, well, TM is a legend.[/quote]

Its not necessarily tasteless… but, I’m still not comfortable posting any of the many lyrics the Grateful Dead have that deal with natural disasters.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Bassman”]ok, might be a bit tasteless if you think of this as a game, but… I just wonder if the GD have anything to say about…

If he can pull this one off, well, TM is a legend.[/quote]

Its not necessarily tasteless… but, I’m still not comfortable posting any of the many lyrics the Grateful Dead have that deal with natural disasters.[/quote]

No TM, you should post away, there’s always a chance some people will see that natural disasters are a part of life, even if they do cause death.

We await your GD reply…

Do the Dead have lyrics covering a friendly giant who lives in a castle with a talkative rooster inside a bag nailed to the wall and a giraffe who stops by periodically?