The Great Run On Toilet Paper 2018 & 2020 & 2021 & 2022!?

I’ve noticed the same thing with PX Mart. Seriously?!? These guys are logistics masters. One wonders if they’re next in line for some sort of fine…

Guy

20180313_174738
20180313_174740

This was at a fairly new PX Mart in Dayuan last week.

It took years, but finally my collection of slightly used but still in mint conditions toilet paper sheets is gaining value.

1 Like

I still wonder where average people living in average jail-houses put the tones of toilet paper they bought.

Resold to or given as gift to visiting relatives from motherland?

Actually, here in Taiwan I would suspect the opposite.

The PX used to be «government» owned, military stores. It has taken them years to get into normal stuff. Like, they started accepting credit cards just a couple of years ago.

Their prices AFAIK are still the most reasonable. That they sell out because they are simply out of stock, and that the makers prefer to supply other outlets would be a simple explanation.

I really think PX Mart depends on the location.

There’s three all within 10 minute walking distance from home and 2/3 have been out of TP. The store that has them in stock is the smallest of the three, so I assume people are expecting it to be out of stock (or have no variety).

If the market runs on supply and demand surely prices will tumble. Or maybe a huge black market on TP will emerge. Cos there are a whole bunch of dickheads who can’t move in their 28 ping apartments due to the mountains of TP they got stashed.

#thiscountrysinsomuchfuckingtrouble

Wouldn’t that be more of… a brown market?

2 Likes

Apparently, that is an actual thing:

1 Like

I am thinking those TP hoarders were expecting to make a bundle by reselling. Unless there is a severe “drought” of paper, the outlook is not promising on recouping their investment.

Luckily, TP is teh kind of thing that can be stored practically indefinetively, though humidity and plagues like insects or rats could wreck such investment.

TP crisis might be a conspiracy. The timing of its in-and-out conspicuously coinsided with the cronation of the new emperor.

Case study of UDN news sequence:
Feb 23
[People swarm to urgently buy tissue in American-style supermarket.](https://udn.com/news/story/11844/299688

[Conspiracy behind the scene: the Red-Blue fifth column chose a supermarket and sent its army to buy up the tissue paper there.]

Then the next day, UDN reliably reported:
Feb 25
Tissue paper will increase price - nothing left
(The photo in the news report showed empty shelves. Notice that the location of this supermarket happens to within a Deep Blue Constituency.)

Feb 25
Robbing tissue paper has become a whole-population movement; Restaurants want to lower TP supply too.

Feb 25
Why rob-buying tissue paper? Scholar: herd behavior + populace has no confidence on Tsai govrenmen

[The next day, other pro-Nationalit media launched from side line:]
Apple Daily Online reported that
UDN reports that price inflation of tissue paper is just the first gun-shot. These will be the next- he says.

The next is, of course, more news about the low-class, stupidity and vulgality of native Taiwanese.
meta-message: Kowtou to the emperor for he has the power and resources.

Even commentators in Forumosa fell into that trap.

Is UDN the local version of CNN?

UDN was founded by a military general at a time when no new newspaper could be published leagally during the Martial Law era. It has worked as an integral part of Chinese Nationalist Supremacy. Before on its frontpage headlines, it mainly advocated two things: loyalty for Leader Chiang and punishment for democratic dissidents.

However, when Lee Deng-hui became the first Taiwanese president of ROC, UDN suffered lose of purpose. It may have found one under the emperor.

I heard with my own ears a certain owner of a magazine say don’t waste your time reading several papers, only one is neede. Guess which one? Which BTW was also the paper of choice at gummit sources.

It si very worrisome that, with China’s plentiful money and the control over media that the deep blue have, they can sway economy worse than the mess they do on the stock exchange.

In other news, several months after the debacle, my favorite brand of TP is still missing from the supermarket shelves. Alas, I must conlude they have left the market or something.

1 Like

Look for the shiitter in the park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnuOa7tDco

1 Like

The problem is not finding a replacement. The question is why only this brand? Or maybe others, I dunno. But the two big ones are consolidating their monopoly and that I dunno like. Someone may orchestrate another TP run again later far too easily that way.

We may be about to see a resurgence of the madness! Now that the hoarders have been denied their fun with Face Masks they are moving onto toilet paper. A rumour has started that all made in China goods will become extremely scarce in coming weeks and months with TP being identified as the number 1 item.

Costco has already been hit hard both online and instore, lots of photo’s of trolleys piled high on local facebook groups. Get your BH TP before it’s too late!!!
:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: