The Great Run On Toilet Paper 2018 & 2020 & 2021 & 2022!?

My brother, who lives in the USA, heard about the toilet paper news and e-mailed me about it. So I guess it has spread across both hemispheres.

Sounds like someone isn’t very proficient with tp :grin:

2 Likes

That’s sad.

I have read the comments on this thread and while I do agree that for the most of it what is happening is pathetic, I feel like we should take these things in consideration:

1. Single acts do not make a difference, but attitude does, and attitude implies many single acts. In other words, to turn off a light you don’t need doesn’t save the planet. But to have that attitude (turning off unnecessary electric stuff) does make a difference. Well, it that attitude is shared by many people. Same applies here. To buy toilet paper before prices go up saves little money, but if that’s your attitude (to take advantage of offers, to buy things before prices go up), you are going to save much more money in the long run

2. This action gives people the (false) sense of somewhat defeating the system. True, prices will go up because those motherfuckers up there are greedy, but I’m smart and I will get as many as I can!!!

3. That picture and this whole situation tells you a bit about how people with miserable salaries struggle in Taiwan. Not everybody has three or four expensive cars and studies abroad and owns a factory. For many people who don’t fall in that category, budget is really tight.

So yeah, this is just one more sad thing in Taiwan.

1 Like

Sorry to disagree!
There is no excuse for this low behavior over shitpaper.

When I was a kid most of our neighbors used newspaper to do the business.
And when we ran out from time to time, we did the same.

For cleaning our noses, we used a handkerchief.
My wife just right now asks, "handkerchief? se,she,ma,yi,se?

If you want to keep the price low, you have to boycott the product.
If you want higher salaries, you need to congratulate your coworker who managed to negotiate a higher wage, not work against him/her. etc etc.

The scary thing here is… what if this is a run onto the banks or anything other vital ?

Yet all these young people in Taiwan don’t bat an eye about spending 5000 NT on a Superdry hoodie… or overpriced Abercrombie… and Starbucks is sure always packed here even at a 20% premium in price…

1 Like

I hear what you say. Yes, you are right re salaries and boycotts…but I’m telling you the possible reasons behind this behaviour, it’s not just that they are plain stupid. I think…

Sure, I can’t understand why people, especially those with shitty salary, spend 20k and more in stupid cellphones (just an example).

Not all of them are in the 22k category. More and more kids these days are just…spoiled by their parents.

Nonetheless, for those in the 22k category and buying up iPhones, Superdry, Ultra Boosts and what have yous, what else can they buy? Yes, they can switch jobs and get raises, but for arguments sake let’s just say, they are stuck in the 22k category. I don’t need a calculator to tell you that it’ll take more than a lifetime to save up to buy a car and/or a house.

To be quite fair, iPhones last quite awhile. I got a friend who’s still using an iPhone SE, says screen is small, but it doesn’t have major issues or hasn’t slowed down on him. I know not every iPhone user isn’t like him, but an initial 20k over 3-4 years is just about how much some of us Android users spend on phones in the same time frame.

For Starbucks, it’s an average of 150NT and no service charge to sit for…forever. Yes, there’s Louisa Coffee and other places you can sit and sip coffee for cheaper and unlimited time with no service charge, but some places lack the ambiance Starbucks does and I believe Starbucks has more locations than the other coffee chains in Taiwan. So…convenience.

Who still wears Abercrombie?

You were not here for the bank run when several banks went belly up right before teh credit card “slave” incident?

When was that? 2002 or 2003?

When we came here last centyure, we were told the reson Taiwan had one of teh highest rates of disposable income in the region was that kids had their parents house so everything they earned went to their pockets.

Now, with lower salaries and parents with no house, renting death traps from greedy landowners who own 80 properties and hence do not care about renting price, buying contaminated food and dubious drinks, with no job security and work conditions where harrassment is SOP, can you blame them for the little things that make them happy/raise their self esteem? Moreover, this kids are hustlers, heck if they pay full price for the stuff. They really know how to stretch the NTD and get stuff a quater of the price.

3 Likes

Looks like the run might be over, in my local RT this afternoon and shelves are fully stocked, aisles are blocked with extra stock. Only see one dude sheepishly leaving with 2 packs in his trolley! Prepare to see Costco and online stores overwhelmed with returns!

1 Like

Oh that would be funny…

Yes, local Cosmed and Watson’s had toilet paper piles outside. No signs of struggle.

1 Like

Underrated comment

The budget’s so tight you can afford to buy a whole year’s worth of toilet paper before the price goes up.

That is a first world problem.

paper

1 Like

The Great Toilet Paper Crash
2018-2018
Never Forget…

1 Like

Man I spoke too fast. All I can see in the stairways of the neighborhood are rolls and rolls of TP… like that, but right when you open the main gate, people taking them up, down and sideways. Was there like a community purchase that I was not informed about?

Passed the Wellcome last night and saw a stock of them. No bump rush for them.

According to the Ah Yi co-workers, the price has already went up, so no point in going crazy for them?

An excollegue on FB pointed out that this TPapocalypse was another sign that Taiwan is a “ghost island”.
我證實台灣真的走向鬼島。
Basically, taxes too high, people have no living. Compares this to eating sulfur tainted rice in HK.

Added this link for good measure:
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/哀號買不到衛生紙-她發現原來都在這-苦主現身超無奈-041640174.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Since the stores were all out my wife ordered some online. Delivery delayed for two months :rofl:

Also 7-Eleven and Family Mart apparently do not do packets at the moment. They were overwhelmed by masses of huge packets of toilet paper.

Sheep, they’re all just sheep. Except sheep don’t actually use TP, so they’re worse than sheep.

Anyone else pass by Daan Forest Park last Saturday? Thousands of idiots just stood there waiting for a Pokemon. Weirdest thing I ever did see.

Sheep also don’t play Pokemon.

I’m all about da sheep.

2 Likes