The gun control discussion thread

The loonies must be ecstatic about that in Kansas.[/quote]

Don’t forget, that’s the same state that believes Bible stories should be taught in science classes.

God and Guns, YEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!

Any stats out there that show that gun control actually works (in the US)?

It was vetoed by the Governor but the legislature over road the veto. The bill came up many times and was always knocked down. There are a lot of things you have to go thru to get a permit. Its not like they are just going to let anyone have the permit. I belive people should have the right to protect themself’s if there life or love ones are in danger. There are only certian time when the use of the gun is allowed to be used.

When I was a a young lad, a friend had got a 25 cal. revoler and we were up in the attic messing with it. Some where along the way he pointed it at my head. He could not have been more than 5 feet from me and pulled the trigger. The gun went off and some how I was on the floor of the attic. Theres no way it should have missed me. Even though I have had that happen to me I belive that guns are not the problem. It is the people that use them for bad that are to blame.

Don’t forget, that’s the same state that believes Bible stories should be taught in science classes.

God and Guns, YEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!![/quote]

Although some of us want guns to protect ourselves from the likes of Bush, and have lost their belief in god due to the fact he is in power.

Only partially serious there.

They should included a clause for those who are regular players of first-person shooters. People who play games of shooting as many people possible probably have an itchier trigger finger than those who do not spend their recreation time trying to get a realistic experience of being an assassin.

It was vetoed by the Governor but the legislature over road the veto. The bill came up many times and was always knocked down. There are a lot of things you have to go thru to get a permit. Its not like they are just going to let anyone have the permit. I belive people should have the right to protect themself’s if there life or love ones are in danger. There are only certian time when the use of the gun is allowed to be used.

When I was a a young lad, a friend had got a 25 cal. revoler and we were up in the attic messing with it. Some where along the way he pointed it at my head. He could not have been more than 5 feet from me and pulled the trigger. The gun went off and some how I was on the floor of the attic. Theres no way it should have missed me. Even though I have had that happen to me I belive that guns are not the problem. It is the people that use them for bad that are to blame.[/quote]
Sure, but the point I made earlier on is that some countries are so tight about these issues, it is very clear to everyone that if you see a handgun in possession of joe public, it IS illegal.
So, in some states it’s very difficult to get a permit to be able to own & conceal a weapon? If some guy acquires one via dubious means (blackmarket, another state etc) you’d still have no clear idea if he should have it or not…unless he started spraying bullets around, that is.

Gun control or not, the problem as it currently stands is there are too many guns in the US.

Actually if we’re going to accept people carrying guns around everyday, I’d rather they be able to carry it open and obviously, instead of concealing it. Hidden guns aren’t much of a deterrence, especially if you can’t get to it quickly.

In most parts of the U.S. I think it’s perfectly legal to walk down the street carrying a gun openly, but you’d spend so much time explaining to the cops why you had it that you’d never get anything done.

Well theres first a back ground check I belive. The state attorney generals office does that. If that goes well You have to pass a 8 hour safety course and be able to pass all that. Then I belive you get a peice of paper to take to the DMV. They give you a new drivers licenice that shows you are a permit holder. So the police know that you have the right to carry the weapon. So only law abiding citizens will have the right to carry the hand gun conceled legally. I also belive that they have agreements that allow the surounding states conceled carry permits holders to carry there gun in this state to.

The first story I heard of some one using a wepon after the law went into effect. Was a man from Oklahoma or Texas that was getting gas at a gas station. When some teenage male decited to rob the store. The man shot the teenage boy. He was not seriously hurt. That is a good example of how the law works it prevented a situation from becoming a worse one.

[quote=“Wisdom Seeker”]

The first story I heard of some one using a wepon after the law went into effect. Was a man from Oklahoma or Texas that was getting gas at a gas station. When some teenage male decited to rob the store. The man shot the teenage boy. He was not seriously hurt. That is a good example of how the law works it prevented a situation from becoming a worse one.[/quote]

How did it prevent a situation becoming worse? The man could have simply snapped a quick photo on a cell-phone camera to show the police, plus I guess there’re security cameras in the gas station. No one would have been shot, and worst case scenario, the teenager would have gotten away with the money.

I don’t see that stealing is worse than shooting someone.

I see I like this if he was stupid enough to try to rob the place. Then he desirves to get shot. How is someone to know what kind of mind set the guy was in when he rob the place. Armed robbery is a serious crime. Who knows how many people lose there lifes during armed robberies. Heres link about that shooting.
ksnt.com/news/local/5300366.html

Ok, read the link. Your initial post about left out the bit about the teenager being armed. However, if the store clerk simply handed over the money in the first place, no one would have been shot and there’d have been no danger.

So by your logic, any armed robber with the sense to wear a mask should basically be able to get away with it? Run that by anyone in Texas or Oklahoma, whichever state this was in, and I think you’ll find they disagree.

Which does not make them right. And it’s not a case of letting him get away with it but rather avoiding a confrontation that leads to injury or death (if it’s “just” a robber). The rest is up to the police.

So by your logic, any armed robber with the sense to wear a mask should basically be able to get away with it? Run that by anyone in Texas or Oklahoma, whichever state this was in, and I think you’ll find they disagree.[/quote]

No, not get away with it. Locard’s Principle comes into play. And no one gets hurt.

All I’m tring to say is that people who obey the laws. Should have a choice if they want to carry a hand gun for protection. So long as they can meet the requirements. I probbly would not get the permit myself. I do however own 2 guns. One was given to me as a gift by my father a few weeks ago which is a AK-47. The other I bought for home protection which is a glock 30 a 45cal. I heard by a local sheriff that the research shows. That the crime level does not go up or down in the states that have the law already. he said that it stays about the same.

No offence Wisdom Seeker, but someone who thinks it’s normal to give/receive an AK47 as a gift needs professional help.

your father gave you an AK-47?

what’s wrong with a book voucher? no one ever got killed by a book voucher…

or a nice set of crayons… :smiley:

I grew up around guns as a child. My father had a FFL to buy and sell guns. So thats why its not that big of a deal. Everyone has a different opinon about gun control and gun rights. So it has been good to hear all the different views.

So at the end of the day if this is a sample of US opinion, nothing will really change at all in the wake of VT. In fact, it seems many people want MORE guns in public hands for ‘protection’.

How long before the next mass shooting occurs, followed by the obligatory week long+ CNN discussion and televised mourning about it? When it next happens, people will have an idea: More guns are required to stop this happening again

Even the dimmest person should be able to make a connection between the fact that US homicide rates are higher than the ones in the richer parts of Europe, and that homicide by firearm is a hell of a lot higher.

More guns - crazy.