The Hall of Shame

The post I think you’re referring to was made more than five years ago, at a time when the current rules were not in place. I think the site was Segue back then. The poster in question (if we’re talking about the same thread) was banned for posting obscene images on the site, in light of his having used racist language in the past. He seems to have been “unbanned” later, and apparently banned again.

It’s true that sandman used profanity in the post in question, and there seems to have been some kind of rule against profanity back then, but it looks as if it was a loose rule, or a “rule honored in the breach.” I think if you go back far enough, offensive posts were simply deleted.

Here’s what the forums looked like in late 2001 (may be slow loading):
web.archive.org/web/200012030042 … timate.cgi

They seem to have had a set of FAQs back in 2001, and they had mods, but I don’t see any site-wide rules (may be slow to load):
web.archive.org/web/200103311230 … b/faq.html

At some point they got a flame forum, and people used to get “flamed” for bad personal attacks, but I don’t know if they got suspended for it. In fact, I don’t think they had suspensions back then; I think they just had occasional bannings.

If there were site-wide rules back then, it seems that a lot of people didn’t know what those rules were. For a pretty good while, if you clicked on the rules, you’d get “filler” in the Italian language (I think I noticed that around the time I joined (with another user name), in late January 2004):

There were various discussions of rules and moderating, what should be acceptable and what should not:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 23&start=0

I’m not sure they had site-wide rules until 2004–I don’t know.

Anyway, the original idea was to use this new technology to form a community:
web.archive.org/web/200104110657 … ND-1.shtml

Now, I’m just sayin’, and I certainly don’t always practice this myself, but, you know . . . :

[quote=“A very long time ago, one of those Christian guys”]. . . love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control[:] [a]gainst such things there is no law.[/quote]–Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)