The hard facts on diamonds

AMEN to that, brother!

Also, from TNC’s favorite, the “wacko liberal site”:

Diamonds Are a War’s Best Friend: The Trade of Arms for Diamonds in Africa

And sorry if you consider posting that “whining”, TNC.

It’s not bribery. You could see it this way

a diamond is:

1)her prize to put up with you for life

or

2)a ‘thanks for playing’ gift when she puts your arse out on the street.

I guess you’ll go for #1. :smiley:

There will never be equality between the sexes as long as many women think the way you do. :unamused:

I do not pay for my women. Period. Is that clear enough for you?

Do you realize what accepting financial compensation for a relationship makes you? There’s a word for it. It’s not a pleasant word.

[quote=“Quentin”]There will never be equality between the sexes as long as many women think the way you do. :unamused:

I do not pay for my women. Period. Is that clear enough for you?[/quote] no it isn’t. so you don’t pay for anything for the woman you are dating?

[quote]
Do you realize what accepting financial compensation for a relationship makes you? There’s a word for it. It’s not a pleasant word.[/quote]

I never liked the word “socialite” to begin with.

Well, we know what you are. Now we’re only negotiating the price.

Nice avatar Quentin. :sunglasses:

I’m a longtime diamond-atheist. I don’t care about the blood aspect, but for all the usual reasons, I don’t think diamonds are a good buy. At this point, I don’t know how people in the business expect to keep going.

1. Problem–the “overhang.” Solution: Make people want more diamonds.
  2. Problem–artificial diamonds. Solution: emphasise “natural diamond” in marketing; set up certificate system ostinsibly aimed at “blood diamonds.”

My wife was one of those attracted by the glamour of diamonds, but decided that we shouldn’t spend the money. So instead we bought cookies. Why doesn’t somebody do something about the wedding cookie industry?

How many of your Mommas have a diamond ring?

Now lets rethink all stupid comments about a woman being the same as a whore for wanting a diamond ring from the man she marries.

If you don’t want to give the woman you marry a diamond ring and shes’ fine with that - Good for You and Her!
If somebody else has different view - Good for Them!

Lets accept the difference without making the stupid & rude comments equating this decisions by adults to prostitution. Its ignorant and needlessly insulting.

Disclaimer:
I gave my wife the wedding rings my mother had. They included diamonds - she never wears them. She did not ask me for a diamond ring, but when I gave them to her she smiled a lot. Her choice - I respect that.

So what are we discussing? The value of diamonds? If it’s that, I don’t personally think they would be considered a good $ investment, though perhaps a diamond well buy you X years of good service, before it would come time to pony up for another.

If it’s about the war… It’s hard to comment. I checked out the article that Vay posted above but it didn’t tell me much. Perhaps a civil war is what’s needed in Angola. It doesn’t sound like the government there is all that hot. I don’t know much about it.

The trade of diamonds… Well, someone’s going to buy them. If there truly is a limited source of diamond mines and a cartel is in place artificially increasing the value of diamonds, that’s going to make illegally obtained diamonds more valuable.

If actual members of the cartel don’t buy them, someone will (regardless of what the UN or anyone says.)

Again, what is this discussion about?
[ul][li]Fixing a corrupt government?[/li]
[li]Stopping a civil war?[/li]
[li]Whether natural diamonds will be able to hold their value against manufactured ones?[/li][/ul]

Apologies. There used to be a whole long-ass discussion on that link. Democracynow.org seems to be restricting more of their content to “donating” users…

Actually, according to my understanding, the problem is actually getting smaller than it had been, as the number and intensity of conflicts in Africa has been decreasing in recent years. However, if you read another post of mine: “The worst thing I’ve ever read” (don’t have time to find you the link now), you’ll see that it’s certainly NOT a good thing to fund these rebel groups![/quote]

SHOW ME THA MONEY!..LOLOLOLOL!.. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :banana: :banana: :nyah: :nyah: :discodance: :smiley: