The Harvey Weinstein Scandal

Spare us all the wide eyed disingenuosity.

You bloody well know, as does most anyone else, that term is never reserved for only extreme cases like Ms. MacKinnon.

In truth, as is known, in certain environments, it gets hauled out and slathered around pretty much any time a woman questions or disagrees with a male.

If only there was a word for men who hate and fear women…

Oh yeah, there is.
Gamers.

1 Like

I have no idea why this term is accepted so widely.

I’m sure there are. I’m guessing You’re referring to guys like rush and his followers. Have I ever sounded like I would agree with anything he has to say?

There are a small minority of women who I personal saw use this and made it extremely distasteful. The point of me too was to make men aware how wide spread the problem is? Some took it that men are somehow intrinsically basically dogs to put it mildly. And made no apologies about it, let alone trying to help men see the problem, essentially distracting the movement.

Whatevs.
As long as a dude is packing the old meat & two veg, he has no right whatsoever to tell any woman what is and isn’t misogynist behaviour nor to what actions she has or doesn’t have a right to react badly.

Just like no white guy has the right to tell you what is or ain’t racist.

How is that disingenuous? I was merely pointing out that there are people who fit the term. Just because a term gets misused doesn’t mean it isn’t valid.

This statement is just beyond ridiculous, and racist to boot.

3 Likes

No but it would pretty awful of me trying to say kick all white people out of the country and build a wall wouldn’t it?

This isn’t about me saying what is and isn’t misogynistic behavior. It me saying it’s also not right demonizing men when many of us support it or at least are trying to see the problem.

But I don’t know if no men has the right to say what is and isn’t misogynistic is true. So men can not speak up about the issue themselves? Many men are in support and spoke out about the me too movement. Should they have not? Isn’t it more powerful that men speak out against it at the end because women know the problem is there. Some men don’t see it.

And we can’t post things from someone’s Facebook as a rule. But basically to sum it up, one girl posted I quote from a small section of her rant “men are built to be misogynistic…” which is completely not true. And I find the word misogynistic thrown around in ways I find incorrectly.

But I’ll just let the movement be and not participate or comment. It’s just an internet thing and mostly people using it on social media for likes and stuff.

I can’t have people labeling me a misogynist no matter where I stand. I speak out on it in agreement, hush I have no place and I’m distracting from the movement. I ask questions, or disagree and I’m bombarded with hate. Even if I’m wrong, it would be nice to have a nice conversation about it like human beings instead of being bombarded with hateful comments instead of dialogue. I mean I had a classical education. Reading guys like Plato using dialogue to help me think. It’s sad, a small minority makes it in a way that I just don’t want to do much with the me too movement.

(Just to clarify, the “you” there was directed spcifically at @Andrew0409)

So you’re saying you have the right to tell him when he should and shouldn’t feel like he’s being discriminated against for being Asian?

Or to tell @Bree when she should and shouldn’t feel like she’s being discriminated against for being a woman?

How very patriarchal.

Sorry, but the meaning of that sentence wasn’t very clear. I mistook it as one of those “white people can’t experience racism” statements.

1 Like

You can disagree with me on this and i don’t know how much you’ve seen the me too movement. But I personally feel like there’s a level of trying to get validation or likes and stuff being in social media.

I’m not a women, and the me too movement isn’t only for women. I believe men can also be part of saying me too as people who have been raped or assaulted. I’ve never had either happen, the worst is when a girl keeps trying to touch and grab me when I don’t want it and cried in front of everyone when I didn’t accept her advances. But if I was raped, idk if I would like the me too thing on social media. Maybe I’m not ready to be so open about it or that I feel that some people are saying it for attention?

Either way, i think men should talk about it as well. I feel like men don’t know where to start, and those men who are speaking out against the systematic issue of gender inequality can often be the worst offenders of being quick to bombard other men with hate. It’s not realistic for all men to just all of the sudden get it.

That’s not what I meant there.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have any idea what that is.

I have no doubt you have experienced plenty of objectification in your time, given your physical presentation, which could (reasonably) be every bit as unpleasant and humiliating for you as it would be if you were a young lady with commensurately attractive attributes.
I guess the parallel breaks down when one takes into account that most women can easily experience an accompanying sense of physical danger, or at least lack of control, while you could easily squish the offender’s head like an old pomelo.

I think “talking about it” is a bullshit response.
Our female family members, friends, and co-workers don’t really need men to “talk about it”, they would do much better by dudes just knocking it the fuck off and acting like grown men rather than pubescent 13-year-olds who can’t control their hormonal impulses.

1 Like

Let’s not assume that all men do such things, however, or are inclined to, or approve of or tolerate them. Talking does have to be part of a lack of tolerance, in most cases.

Thus the “mistook.” I wouldn’t presume to lecture people about their own experiences.

I think in a perfect world you’re right. But I guess I’m not saying hey let’s talk about it until it goes away. But more like me going to the club with my friend bob. Bob grabs a girl and keeps grabbing her when she doesn’t want to talk to him. How often do men call bob out and say stop. I know I’ve had to take girls away from my previously more douche bag friends. But I’m not sure that happens very much amongst men.

Yeah, but #notallmen doesn’t really help anyone, especially since it’s about the only contribution that lots of dudes are prepared to make.

What contribution did you have in mind?

Neither would I, but I don’t accept being devoiced about the meaning of any concepts, including racism, and claim the right to basically tell anyone whatever I goddamn well please. (You have the same right, and the right to respond to my statements in any reasonable way.)

2 Likes

You are very welcome.

2 Likes

Say whatever you like.
Fortunately, as a Badge, it’s unlikely that you’ll suffer any repercussions for expressing yourself.

Just don’t try to conflate it with contributing to a solution.

I totally agree. Problems like sexual assault and racism are a matter of law enforcement, but even more a matter of culture. And for positive changes to happen to a culture, honest discussion is required, discussion that involves listening to other people, and also calling out bullshit when required…on all sides. Nobody has a monopoly on the truth.

2 Likes

Good catch. That’s what I get for trusting the internet. How about an Andrea Dworkin quote?

“Under patriarchy, every woman’s son is her potential betrayer and also the inevitable rapist or exploiter of another woman.”