The Harvey Weinstein Scandal

I’m not making it a left/right thing. It has already been made a left /right thing.

Except I didn’t ignore this did I? I linked to a post where I condemned Trump for this kind of behavior. I condemn anyone from any political background or position of power that acts in this way.

Now, where’s your post condemning Bill Clinton?

I get what you’re saying. But we’ve. And I’m not directing at you solely @Mick. But we have started to distract at the real issue. This is a systematic issue that far reaching and not just in the US. So us talking about US politics into this and political parties and ideology is getting a bit out of touch with the original purpose.

I also think you are with me and see that too. I’m just think we’ve gotten no where with this type of dialogue which I think you would agree as well.

1 Like

Yes and I’m seeing what your point is. And I agree. But you’ve said what you had to said and I think everyone got your point. If they didn’t they won’t now. I’m not saying you saying again somehow invalidates the what you’re saying. As I said im with you on many of the things that you have said on trump. But I’m just saying repeating it isn’t moving the conversation along.

We are in agreement Andrew. JB could have saved me from re-posting the question if he had addressed it in his last reply.

Which is why I have said to him earlier his type of discussion feels very similar to debating a climate denier. Avoid noting when the person you are in discussion with makes valid points, avoid addressing issues that you know will not support your argument then change the subject, move the goal posts, rinse and repeat forever.

To be fair, I get why we want to keep politics out of this, and if JB wants to have a political slanted discussion related to this is welcome to do so in IP. That being said, it’s hard to remove the politics completely. Harvey Weinstein was the Clintons next door neighbor, held fund raisers for Hillary and provided legal support (I think funds) for Bill as well as being a big donor himself.

Then you have Hollywood, who are well known for leaning towards the Democrats lecturing anyone who voted for Donald Trump as deplorable, and yet, the irony, their own industry is rampant with sexual abuse and everyone knew about it.

Worse, his company knew about it and paid people off to keep them quiet and let this go on for years. I don’t understand how they are not criminally culpable too.

Awesome work here from Axios. They compare Weinstein’s record with that of Cosby, O’Reilly, Ailes, and D. Trump in a single graphic showing when individual cases allegedly happened, when they were brought public, and when they were settled or otherwise removed from the public eye. What’s really insidious about Harvey’s record is not just how many women are now accusing him (so far), but how few ever took it public – and how quickly his team shut them up. I guess it’s all about containment. Fucking frightening.

4 Likes

They seemed to have forgotten Bill Clinton.

4 Likes

Clinton is war criminal scumbag. His harassments and predatory behavior is just one of many reasons I cannot defend him in anyway. Taiwan and Yugoslavia are others. He, among others, was a main reason I could not and would not support his wife. What more do you want me to say?

Let me say this, any person who uses their position in power to force sexual favors from another person deserves to hung, flayed, and burned alive. ANYONE. Presidents, CEOs, priests, teachers, whoever.

If I seem or have seemed biased against any one person, then that is my fault. I should have been clearer.

The reason I did point him out specifically is that in THIS thread, many are tossing the dems/left into the same pot with weinstein. No side has clean hands in this, but it has -and not by me- been politicized.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Your point is valid and accepted. Finger-pointing solves nothing, but we need to be reminded that this is not an isolated incident and no side owns it. This problem has become endemic in our global village, now we should try to find a way to stop it. These crimes cannot be dismissed by settlements (pay-offs in other lingo) and should not be let go. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

In terms of rape, molestations, and harassments the states should have no say. This should be a federal issue and they should be procescuted as capital offenses. The death penalty should be invoked as needed and/or the fines have to be levied. Maybe public canings for the convicted. Think people will finally straighten up if they know their ass will be left with a few scars?

1 Like

Well the allegations and controversy of bill were a while back. Not defending him. But the ones mentioned are ones that are more fresh on readers mind. I mean how many do you need to list for you to be happy. Are you really going to be like no this isn’t valid because he didn’t name bill someone, their political party or ideaolgy look bad instead of focusing on the point. Is your train of thought really something like this didn’t mention more democrats? If so, you completely missed the point.

1 Like

Is andrew old enough to remember bill? Weren’t you 10 when he left office? Some context is time-sensitive.

1 Like

#ageist!!!

1 Like

And I like political discussions. I was fortunate that I didn’t grow up with much political ideology fed to me. Besides that as people know here pretty clearly by know that I’m a strong supporter of that taiwan is an independent sovereign nation not part of the PRC. And I want it continue to be a democratic republic. Nothing anyone says will change that and I’m willing to die for that belief if it came down to it. Besides that, I had to formulate my own political ideology and it continues to change and expand. I like talking about it, I know some people say avoid it but for me, it helps having my ideas challenged. It either strengthens it, or I really reconsider my position. And it comes from talking to people like yourself.

But they’re being used to just attack opposition parties here. It’s certainly alarming the affiliation with Clinton. But we don’t know anything for sure. And even if the clintons knew. It’s just they were awful people. Not that democrats or the left or liberals or whatever label we have is also like that. I mean can you really believe that republicans supporters are more likely to be rapists or the other way around? I’m sure both sides have people who are rapists and such. And to me I don’t trust politicians anyways. Especially career ones. I see them as means to an end. I’m sure some of them don’t really believe or practice what they say. I’m more concern on the political side that If someone holding or is running for office, and they knew and did nothing. I want them out.

And the thing with Hollywood being vocal trump haters. You asked me this once, is that what you really think or what the MSM feeds. Although I can’t argue that many people in Hollywood are probably not supporters of trump. But I’m certain many are trump supporters as well. And I why do we care about what celebrities think politically so much. I’m sure you personally don’t put much stock on what justine beiber thinks about trump Not that their points are invalid because they are celebrities as they have just as much right as anyone to speak about their political beliefs. And I think It’s a positive thing they can use their platform to talk about certain things. It’s helped on things on many occasions like say Ali during the civil rights movement. But let’s be honest. How much do most of them really know about politics. You think many of they can have a real conversation about the fiscal policies of the current or past administrations. Or what fiscal policies are haha. Just saying.

I don’t think I was even in the US when he was president or spoke a lick of English haha.

Andrew, like I siad, I think we are on the same page. Here’s Chris Rocks take on things, I think you would agree with this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCgkf25Tus

3 Likes

Comedians are some of the best people in bringing political ideas into perspective.

I was upset however when chris rock who I like, used that one award show trying to bring more diversity into hollywood used that platform to only bring black americans up and re enforced some sterotypes of asians particularly that has kept asian americans from being in roles other than the nerd.

This is hardly a film industry issue. If you follow fashion you’d recognise the name Terry Richardson, who’s absolutely notorious for rape, assaults, and harassment. Plenty of models (some underage) have made accusations against him but since the fashion industry rarely attracts media attention (unless it’s really extreme where people died, like Ruslana Korshenova), nothing is really considered unacceptable. The pig recently got the gig of shooting the 2018 Valentino S/S campaign.

It’s such a common, open secret in all fields. There’s a professor at the law department of NTU who would take snapshots of female students without consent. The pervert recently retired and has suffered nothing other than being an outcast amongst his colleagues. I have also read that it’s especially serious in the field of classical music. In every orchestra there’s at least one guy who constantly harasses other female musicians. There is almost no escape, and people often don’t do anything about it as it’s just easier that way.

And as I said in the other thread, lawsuits take time. Yes, they can take years.

Out of sight, out of mind, not out of the system.

Unfortunately the diversity thing advances at the pace of frozen molasses.

Its an interesting comparison.
One thinks that Cosby and Weinstein benefited from the huge power they had In their industry versus acceptance of it being a part of the industry.
Cosby went on so long because…?
Weinstein I can see why because the studio was so successful and a huge player in Hollywood.