The Hiking Thread (2007-2008)

Really nice pictures there Kate, looks like you had a great afternoon. Short report from up here, clear sky and I see stars… :smiley:

Basecamp is operating already again. :wink:

You are welcome. It’s a hill in city and it’s really close to MRT Xindain station. You can visit there with your family when you have free time. It will be a pleasant experience. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Chris”]Good luck, kate! Don’t get lost in the woods and eaten by wild animals!
[/quote]

I went hiking in the afternoon or near the evening in the past two days. And I think near evening is the time that squirrels start their day. They become active. I bumped into other squirrels in Lion Head Mountain. :slight_smile:

I think I probably would see more birds than squirrels if I get up early.

But I just got email from my boss that she asked me to get in office tomorrow. I will be confined in my office so no hiking on Saturday. :frowning:

I can’t believe that you have seen Monty Python! Aren’t you Austrian?

Yes, Austrian indeed, but they are Brits, so not that far away I guess and I have seen them all I guess, just love them. Oh, and take care if it is an African or an European swallow, I mean just in case you come to a bridge and someone asks. :wink:

[quote=“mingshah”]Really nice pictures there Kate, looks like you had a great afternoon. Short report from up here, clear sky and I see stars… :smiley:

Basecamp is operating already again. :wink:[/quote]

I saw your tubing pictures…haha…
Instead of enjoying the nature up there, you probably would be more busy “helping” young Taiwanese girls tubing down the river. he…he… :laughing:

Hey I just make sure there are not too much people drowning on my favourite campsite, might otherwise sooner or later lead to a closing of it. :smiley:

I am not a hiking person.
I go hiking sometimes but just being around my hometown.

There’s a popular hiking place “ming feng gu dao” in Miaoli.

gohiking.myweb.hinet.net/w5/lMLImingfeng.htm
tonyhuang39.com/tony0413/tony0413.html
I am sorry I don’t have any pictures of it,so I put the link here.

The view is very beautiful .
Has any of you been there before?

[quote=“wisher”]I am not a hiking person.
I go hiking sometimes but just being around my hometown.

There’s a popular hiking place “ming feng gu dao” in Miaoli.

gohiking.myweb.hinet.net/w5/lMLImingfeng.htm
tonyhuang39.com/tony0413/tony0413.html
I am sorry I don’t have any pictures of it,so I put the link here.

The view is very beautiful .
Has any of you been there before?[/quote]

Thank you for your info, I’ve never been there.

I rearranged my work schedule and went hiking in Hutong yesterday. I started the hike at 9:15 and finished it around 13:30. My entry of this hike was No. 15-16 on Huliao Rd. The first section of the trail is a steep stairway and natural trail follows. It a one-hour hike up to the ridge and 30-min hike to the branch to the Relic of Hutong (Hutong House.) Along the ridge, the breeze from the valley is really cool and nice. It’s a good trail for summer hike. The branch to Hutong House is a narrow and slippery trail down to the valley. Along the trail there are many trunks and rocks blocking the trail. After reach the valley, there is a lovely stream which hikers can take a rest. I spent one hour going down to the Hutong House and about 45 minutes going up back to the ridge. The Hutong House now is a Yiming temple which worships the Taiwanese who died for fighting against ruling party. (Japanese colonial government in this case). About a five-minute walk from the Yiming temple, there is the Thirteenth Tranch, a burial ground of the Hutong residents.

I learned few things from this hike.
First of all, I shouldn’t be so ignorant and arrogant. I shouldn’t go this hike alone. After I reached the ridge, I checked the trail down to Hutong House and thought I shouldn’t continue the hike. I luckily bumped into few Taiwanese hikers and I joined them so I could finish the hike. They taught me a lot on the trail.
And I made a huge mistake. I went to Cloud9 to tell friends that I was going to go hiking to Hutong, but I didn’t come back to inform them I had finished the hike for some reasons. This is a huge mistake that could lead to fatal situation. I am terribly sorry to cause friends to worry about me and I promise I won’t make the mistake again.

Photos of Hutong Trail: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13050164@N07/

By the way, I think the scenery along the trail is really breathtaking. (literally and metaphorically speaking)

I was out of breath on the way up the the ridge but the woods along the trail was really beautiful. Many interesting and colorful mushrooms grows along the trail. And there was many little yellow flowers raining down on the trail. Lovely. :slight_smile:

[quote=“kate.lin”]I learned few things from this hike.
First of all, I shouldn’t be so ignorant and arrogant. I shouldn’t go this hike alone. After I reached the ridge, I checked the trail down to Hutong House and thought I shouldn’t continue the hike. I luckily bumped into few Taiwanese hikers and I joined them so I could finish the hike. They taught me a lot on the trail.
And I made a huge mistake. I went to Cloud9 to tell friends that I was going to go hiking to Hutong, but I didn’t come back to inform them I had finished the hike for some reasons. This is a huge mistake that could lead to fatal situation. I am terribly sorry to cause friends to worry about me and I promise I won’t make the mistake again.
[/quote]

That’s it, I’m locking you in your room. :fume:

Well, alright, I reckon our little Kate is all grown up now.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“kate.lin”]I learned few things from this hike.
[/quote]

That’s it, I’m locking you in your room. :fume:

Well, alright, I reckon our little Kate is all grown up now.[/quote]

Yes, Sir! I have learned the lesson and I will never make the mistake again.

After the training of the past two weeks, I found that my pshycial condition has been improved. I don’t get tired easily after climbing stairs. I should keep my training going. :slight_smile:

[quote=“kate.lin”]

After the training of the past two weeks, I found that my pshycial condition has been improved. I don’t get tired easily after climbing stairs. I should keep my training going. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Right … didn’t show on Saturday … you wouldn’t even get in the water for a swim … shame!

Yes…I miss a lot of fun because of being a non-swimmer. I wish I could swim as good as Charley does.
But usually I would jump into the river even though I can’t swim. I didn’t do it was because it was not a good idea to walk in the river when I wore jeans. It would be really difficult to move around in the river.

I will prepare fishman shoes and bathing suit next time I go up to Cloud9. :slight_smile:

I am reading something about Trig points of Taiwan. I feel it is amazing that those pioneers went to high and remote mountains or hills to build up trig points.
Trig points seem to be a fantastic attraction to some hikers or moutain climbers and would be fun to go hiking for ‘collecting’ various kinds of trig points.

Yeah, you better do, told you what will happen if not. :smiley:

And Muzha man, yes, she is grown up but sometimes she still needs a “little slap on the fingers”. There were some people just going to lunch a rescue mission on here when she had the luck of a guy checking his e-mail account before heading off. That would have been “expensive” for you Kate. :wink:

See you next weekend up there, need to lead some groups down the river, conditions should be great after the Typhoon rain this week. Might also lead some people up the small gorge on the other side of the camp ground. I better start moving up there.

On a other side some not so good information. Found three “fish traps” yeasterday in the grade A swimming hole. Some fisherman spanned lines through the river from one side to the other, attached to it every 2 m a smaller line with a hook, some with small still alive fishes. This guy knew there is a camp ground and there were even kids playing in the water. He must have done that short after most people started to pack and head off but we still came down with one group on the river. I went through and deinstalled all this stuff. I was so mad, I guess I would have just punched this guy down or kick his ass all way down to Xindian. :fume:
It’s one thing to fish and use a standard rod but doing something like this is just insane on a part of the river next to campground with lots of swimmers, kayakers, river tubers and other activaties in the water.
:fume: :fume: :fume:

Please clarify … ?

Some fuckwit fisherman strung 3 lines across the swimming hole with baited hooks every two meters where people where swimming/tubing across.

He wanted to find this fisherman and kick his ass all the way to Shindian.

He took the lines down.

Geez, translating for you guys is a real pain…Next time I want money.

:smiley:

Might be worth mentioning here that there’s still a moratorium of river fishing here, with very large fines for those caught. Just in case that fisherman decides that you removing his gear has caused him a loss of face that requires retribution.

Some fuckwit fisherman strung 3 lines across the swimming hole with baited hooks every two meters where people where swimming/tubing across.

He wanted to find this fisherman and kick his ass all the way to Xindian.

He took the lines down.

Geez, translating for you guys is a real pain…Next time I want money.

:smiley:[/quote]

Not that, I know … I was there … I saw it with my own two eyes (20/20 eyesight) … BTW, those things are called ‘long lines’, they leave it in the water for up to a day or more … but they are morons anyhow and poachers on top of it …

What I meant was for Kate to clarify … trig point … ???

Triangulation point. Used for surveying.