The Hiking Thread 2010

I’ve earned some points with the wife by taking the kids to the US by myself for three weeks over Christmas. That means I should be even more likely to be able to join in a hike sometime very soon. I still can’t make it every weekend, and Saturdays are still better than Sundays, but I think I’ll be able to join in before long. If we do a child-friendly hike near Taipei, then I can try to bring my wife and children along for that as well.

I hope everybody is staying warm and dry.

I just checked weather forecast, this weekend will be sunny and balmy. Is there anyone interested in hiking on Sunday?

I will be doing the JiaLou Hu 加羅湖 hike on 1/22-23 with a group of very experienced Taiwanese mountaineers.

I appreciate all the advice, links and tips. Thanks once again, for your help.

Major equipment purchases so far:

Lowe Alpine triplepoint waterproof jacket (2009 model) NT$5 000
Scarpa Lite Trek GTX boots NT$ 4 500
wildland hiking pants NT$ 1 500
fleece pants NT$ 100 (from the day market, no draw string :laughing: )

I either have or will be borrowing the rest of the gadgets.

Uhm… YES.

Yes indeedly doodly!

Hi, my GF and I are traveling to TW later next week, and we plan to try the Santiaoling waterfall hike on 27th morn. I read on Robert Kelly’s blog that it’s a pretty simple hike. I plan to hike to the Pipa Dong Falls, the back to Santiaoling stn and take the train to Sifen to see the Sifen waterfall. If the waterfal still accessable?

Anyone knows the route and happens to be free on 27th morn, care to show us the way?

27th is a work day, so I can’t.

Once you get to Pipa Dong cave, you may as well continue walking to Shifen Waterfall, as it would take a lot more time to walk back to Sandiaoling and take the train to Shifen.

Don’t know if Shifen Waterfall is open to the public yet… the county government is supposed to be taking charge of it and opening it to tourism for free. It used to be privately owned and tourists were charged a whopping fee to see it.

Uhm… YES.[/quote]

Great!
It seems only three of us can go hiking tomorrow. I think we can explore a trail near Xuanfen elementary school. We can either go there by taxi or bus.

Is it okay that we meet at Xindian MRT station 10:30am tomorrow, guys?

Sounds good to me!

[quote=“kate.lin”]
Great!
It seems only three of us can go hiking tomorrow. I think we can explore a trail near Xuanfen elementary school. We can either go there by taxi or bus.

Is it okay that we meet at Xindian MRT station 10:30am tomorrow, guys?[/quote]

ooh, count me in as well! It’ll be good to get out, and 10:30 is such a nice civilized (ie not too early :slight_smile: ) time to get going

Oh, and Shifen waterfall was closed when I was there in late Oct…

[quote=“Chris”]27th is a work day, so I can’t.

Once you get to Pipa Dong cave, you may as well continue walking to Shifen Waterfall, as it would take a lot more time to walk back to Sandiaoling and take the train to Shifen.

Don’t know if Shifen Waterfall is open to the public yet… the county government is supposed to be taking charge of it and opening it to tourism for free. It used to be privately owned and tourists were charged a whopping fee to see it.[/quote]

Really? I read that the first 3 falls are within a couple of hours trek? I have to be back to my hotel in Ximending area by maybe 4pm, so I can only do a 1/2 day hike. Is it possible to walk to Sifen by say 2pm?

[quote=“Garrison”][quote=“Chris”]27th is a work day, so I can’t.

Don’t know if Shifen Waterfall is open to the public yet… the county government is supposed to be taking charge of it and opening it to tourism for free. It used to be privately owned and tourists were charged a whopping fee to see it.[/quote]

Really? I read that the first 3 falls are within a couple of hours trek? I have to be back to my hotel in Ximending area by maybe 4pm, so I can only do a 1/2 day hike. Is it possible to walk to Sifen by say 2pm?[/quote]

Once you climb Pipa Dong and Motian Waterfalls, you’re about an hour’s walk from the town of Shifen, where you can either catch a bus to Taipei, or catch a train to Jingtong and then catch a bus to Taipei.

But in any case, if you want to get back to Ximending by 4pm, I’d suggest you depart as early as you can, and make sure you keep an eye on your time.

[quote=“kate.lin”] I think we can explore a trail near Xuanfen elementary school. We can either go there by taxi or bus.
Is it okay that we meet at Xindian MRT station 10:30am tomorrow, guys?[/quote]
I am going to bring the car. See you then.

Okay, looks like 4 of us. I’d like to bring the dogs, but only room for Xien Tsao plus four of us. please let me know if you have ANY issue at all with having a dog in the car. I won’t bring her if it causes anyone discomfort.

Hey Omni… any chance your family can join us this time? Would be lovely to see you again.

How many people will we be? Kitty is planning to come along.

That makes 5, so no Xien Tsao, unless people want to hold her on their laps.

Kate
Chris
Kitty
zyzzx
Kage

[quote=“kage”]That makes 5, so no Xien Tsao, unless people want to hold her on their laps.

Kate
Chris
Kitty
zyzzx
Kage[/quote]

Yes, there will be 5. But kage, I can ride my scooter, therefore, there will be a seat for Miss XienTsao. :slight_smile:

I can return the waffle iron to you, kage! :slight_smile:

If you use it, you can keep it.

Kate - too cold to ride a scooter. She can hang out at home with Dodger. That way he won’t be lonely.

[quote=“kage”]
Kate - too cold to ride a scooter. She can hang out with Dodger. Then he won’t be lonely.[/quote]

Don’t worry, it’s a short ride from Xindian MRT to the trailhead. And I love to ride on the mountain road. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Chris”]

Once you climb Pipa Dong and Motian Waterfalls, you’re about an hour’s walk from the town of Shifen, where you can either catch a bus to Taipei, or catch a train to Jingtong and then catch a bus to Taipei.

But in any case, if you want to get back to Ximending by 4pm, I’d suggest you depart as early as you can, and make sure you keep an eye on your time.[/quote]

But it seems from Pipa Dong onwards, the way is not so straight forward, some turns and forks. Which is why I thought of turning back to Sandiaoling. From what I read in Lonely Planet Guide, it’s an hour to the third fall.

BTW is bus from Sifen or Jintong faster than takin train all the way back to Taipei?