The Hiking Thread 2010

Please give me any tips you can about the Wulai to Sanxia route. …flickr.com/photos/53879542@N … 245954918/

-We’re going to run much of it, I have read that the first 5 km is clear and well maintained-is it like that the whole way? Is it mainly flat, and at what stage of the hike are the steepest hills?

-From here how do we get to the exact start?
maps.google.com/maps?q=Sindian+C … 6&t=h&z=18

-How long does it take from Shindian MRT to the start of the hike?

Thanks

EDIT:
Thanks Chris, that’s excellent. 1 quick q: how far would it be from from the red bridge to the pumping station?

From Xindian MRT Station, take the Wulai bus and get off at Chenggong Village, which is just past the 11.5km marker. There’s a side street that goes down to the river; it’s marked by a brown sign pointing to Jiajiuliao. The road takes you to the red bridge.

Once across the red bridge, walk up the road until you reach a pumping station next to a small river (the Jiajiujiao). It’s next to a bridge…don’t cross that bridge. Instead, you’ll see a set of stairs going up on to its left of the pumping station…go up and follow the path. When you come to a stairway going up to the left, that’s where you want to go. The stairs take you up to the main path, which is quite level and well maintained. This main path takes you all the way to Xiongkong.

Beware some of the bridges…you’ll need to cross a few of them gingerly, especially the one just before the shelter.

Soon after the shelter, you’ll come to a place where you have to cross the creek, and once across you’ll come to another creek (which doesn’t need to be crossed). You’ll come to a few switchbacks, and after that the trail is pretty level for a while (but with a couple places where you’ll have to slow down and watch your footing), and then the serious climb begins after that.

Once over the pass, it’s all downhill or level stretches.

Thanks Chris for the write up above. I am curious how far the pumping station is up the road, but it can’t be too far. We’re meeting at 8:30am at Shindian MRT station, so if anyone wants to hike-go with us to the start, you’re welcome, or if you want to run with us, then cool. We won’t be taking it slow, though. Looking forward to this, hope the rain holds off.

Chris, one last question: I hate snakes, have seen at least 15 while hiking, and worry that running will be more dangerous. However, seems a bit cold as yet for snakes to be out. Correct?

Thanks for the invite, but I have an aversion to running: way too bouncy and jolting! Oh my knees, oh my guts! Give me a nice walk any day!

The pumping station is very close… just about 200 meters up the road after crossing the big red bridge. You pass a few houses, and the station is on the left, just before the little bridge over the Jiajiuliao Creek.

As for snakes: it’s winter, the time they’re least likely to come out. I’ve seen snakes along that trail, but all during warmer weather. Even if they were up and about, the sound of your running would scare them away.

GPS of Chenggong Village

24.880087 N
121.542553 E

GPS of trailhead:

24.884108 N
121.539181 E

GPS of other end of trail at Xiongkong:

24.853660 N
121.466857 E

Again, excellent. Thanks heaps, a supau for you whenever we meet. I plugged those GPS coordinates into google, and understand the route more now. I had originally thought the trail would start to the right of that valley road.

BTW, I dispute your comment: I run smoothly, not like an elephant. I doubt a snake would get out the way-and that turned out to be true last year on a run near Chung He. The d*mn thing just didn’t give a hoot about me, taking it’s sweet time to get across the path. Another one, later on the same day was different, however: it must have been beside the trail, by the time I got to it (running up a small hill) it was sliding away into the undergrowth. It was a hot day, as well. I’d love to extend this trail running into longer stuff-30-40k routes, all day type runs. However, I am cautious about standing on something. Maybe the gaiters I just got would help.

EDIT: Yep, going with teggs.

Well, good luck on your run.

Is anyone going with you?

The trail is quite evident, but there are some side trails and a remote possibility of getting lost… if going alone, perhaps a survival kit would be in order, just in case? And you can eat the fruit of the cluster fig tree and the baby leaves of the bird’s nest fern (both are flavorless, but they would keep you alive). :wink:

Oh, another thing to remember is that there are two river crossings; a small one on the way up, soon after the huts, and a larger one on the way back down to Xiongkong. The larger one should be more of a concern if it’s been raining heavily, but it’s been a couple weeks since the last rains, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Thanks Chris for the good tips, they got us through most of the hike/run-although there were a couple of sections we needed to discuss carefully. Loved the nature, views, and quietness. Saw some bright blue berries, not sure what they were, and didn’t want to eat them to see. We were lucky with the many little rock crossings of the clean mountain streams, and never got our feet wet. I wore sandals as usual, but gaiters might have been comfortable with all the overhanging plants on the path. Took us just under 3 hours, other comments are on the trail running thread.viewtopic.php?f=54&t=68559&start=60

Glad you enjoyed the trail!

[quote=“kate.lin”]

After the hike, we went to a new restaurant near Garden City in Xindian.

I felt in love with the restaurant after I had their super good Empanadas.
(I am not a person who cares English names of dishes I have, but it’s soo…good that I memorized its name immediately)

I definitely will go to the place again after my hikes somewhere in Wulai.[/quote]

We went up to Wulai today, for a walk along the path beside the river just before Neidong/Wawagu. We stopped at the South American restaurant for lunch along the way, and all enjoyed it very much - the wife and I both loved the food (especially those empanadas), and Emma loved running around and being made a fuss of by the friendly and thoughtful Chilean people who run the place. We’ll definitely be dropping in there again when we head up that way!

Wulai was very crowded, which really surprised me. In the good old days, I could always count on it being all but deserted on the last weekend before the Chinese New Year, as everyone was busy shopping. And today was even supposed to be a normal workday, to boot! How things are changing in Taiwan!

Things have changed, Omni. I used to be able to count on the weeks before CNY as the best time to research even the popular places in Taiwan like Sun Moon Lake. But the news has reported that travel patterns have changed and now lots of people are heading out early to, yes, avoid the crowds. Of course they are just creating new crowds but well…

I plan to have a break from work this Sunday, is there anyone interested in a day-hike?

YES! YES! yesyesyes

How about came to Yilan during CNY?
There’re very frequent bus to JiaoXi and free shuttle bus from train station to the WuFengQi waterfall. From there we can visit the “Notre Dame Mountain hut” tonyhuang39.com/tony0511/tony0511.html
and the very mysterious 月眉坑瀑布 Yuemeikeng waterfall and swimming pool mentioned by Mucha_Man.
skrnet.com/travel/page.php?f=ymkpp

I’ll definitely go if circumstances permit.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]How about came to Yilan during CNY?[/quote] How many days are you thinking?

I would love to join you guys, but Mom will be here for a few days during the Chinese New Year.

Other things rattling about in my head for after Sunday:
Plan A:I still have (on the back burner) the idea we talked about before - hopefully tonight I can get on it. I actually think this is a bit important , and feel badly that I haven’t acted on it yet…

Plan B: If that doesn’t work out, I may consider several days in the hills down south- by myself, unless someone else is keen and experienced.
For plan A, I am gathering people will be ready to go on Tuesday … or?
I might try to leave earlier if I do plan B… maybe. You know how I am about planning…

Trailhacker’s Yilan idea is very appealing, but it depends on how many days people are interested in going.I suppose if others are not interested, I could scooter over by myself… (are scooters allowed in the tunnel, or do I have to take the mountain pass?) as I think car traffic is going to be a nightmare no matter which way you turn. I assume train tickets will also be unobtainable, unless traveling on New Years eve ( SAT 2/13) or New Years day (SUN 2/14, correct?). All other days I presume will be booked solid.
… If I can find dogsitters at this late stage (HA!) , then I’d like to make something of it - multi day.
Thoughts? Anyone eager to participate in any of my unbaked “plans”? (not even half baked)

Or, I may just head down straightaway. Argh! Too scattered - off to face the scooter schoal! (sp?)

I can’t do anything multi-day this holiday period, unfortunately.

I pretty dislike Chinese traditional festivals because something bad always happens to me. I just twisted my right ankle and I can barely walk, definitely can’t hike.

I am very sorry that I won’t be able to hike on Sunday.

[quote=“kate.lin”]I pretty dislike Chinese traditional festivals because something bad always happens to me. I just twisted my right ankle and I can barely walk, definitely can’t hike.

I am very sorry that I won’t be able to hike on Sunday.[/quote]
Oh, no! Sorry to hear that… hope your ankle feels better soon.