The Importance of Being Decent

A couple of weeks ago, I had the good fortune to run into Andy, an old friend, who I worked with for a very long time.

He related to me a story that I had forgotten, but might serve as a cautionary tale for all half crazed newbee English teachers to Taiwan.

We had employed a Canadian-Irish guy called Patty. Pat was a pretty funny guy for the most part, but he was more than a little pent up and trouble followed him as night follows day.

He hadn’t been in Taiwan long when we first employed him so his Chinese ability was rank. He was up to, “Dwo hsiao chien?” But the numbers left him cold. Andy had arranged him a teaching gig at a company in Chungli. He could take the train to the station and from the station he had to take a taxi. Because at that time taxis outside of Taipei generally had but didn’t turn on their meters, Andy told him the fair should be no more than “yi bai quai” (100nt).

When Pat arrived at the station he hailed a taxi driver who unbeknownst to him turned on the meter (probably for the first time in the history of Chungli). When they arrived at the company the driver turned his head and said, “BaShir quai. Syi, Syi.” (80nt, thanks).

To which… Pat flew off the handle. Indignant to the point of protruding veins on his temples, and spittle forming on the edges of his mouth, he started screaming at the driver, " Yi bai quai. It’s yi bai quai. You deceitful piece of Chinese shit. Yi bai fucking quai.!" He then got out of the cab and waving his hallowed 100nt note by the front passenger window, he spat on the ground, dropped the 100nt note onto the glob and rubbed it in to the dirt with the sole of his shoe, all the time repeating, “It’s yi bai fucking quai.”

Pat then stormed off to his class with steam clearly visible rising from his form. 10 minutes into his class the front gate guard arrived at the classroom door with one of the personnel managers and asked if Pat would come to the front gate to sort out some kind of misunderstanding with a disgruntled taxi driver who was refusing to move his car from in front of the gate until that foreigner came and picked up the 100nt note and handed it to him personally in a civilized manner.

As Pat walked back to the taxi, he had to pass almost the entire staff of this company as they waited totally pissed off at this taxi driver who for all its worth was going to strike at least one blow for human decency and his own personal dignity.

I’ve heard this story before. But the guys name was Mick.

And the cab driver was a transvestite who preferred being called Mona.

I really hate stories like that becuase I am usually on the reserving end of it., People seem to think and I probably allow them to treat me as if I am a second rate citizen to them.

My friend and I were talking the other day how people just didn’t care anymore and it breaks my heart. I am so tired of it all. People exaust me and hoever much I would love to live on an island(hehehe) where people didn’t matter can anyone give me some tips on dealing with this cause I am seeing red more and more frequently.

Push me out of the way. Hunny, you are going down. I stop myself of coure but what if one day I snap and I just do something really rude like fight back or be mean.

I need to toughen up I guess. Taiwan shows this to you in a big way.
Do they really pick it up through the media or what the hell is going on?

Sorry for any typos. iIt is Saturday and I have a really really bad month behind me and I’m not typind like myself. Will probably try and put me in a phych ward for that too.

Anyway…carry on

TC,

I know it sounds like an Irish joke, but it’s a true story. Sandman and Maoman can back me up.

SPIW,

I don’t know how to respond to that post. You might wish to check out the Community Services Website.

I enjoyed this thread when it first came on and I’m surprised it didn’t last.

Being decent is a learn behavior like any other. I think learning it depends on how much will power one has to understand his/her reaction to a situation before the respone to it barges out.

I find this very useful in these forums, especially when I first went into the IP forum. It is so hard to get a feel for somene’s personality in that forum and I almost REACTED a few times, before I had understood what my reaction was.

A negative reaction may be anger, confusion, disbelief or disgust, and all of these emotions can come out of posting just about in any forum. But to step back before the SUBMIT button is clicked, and say to oneself, “Why am I so pissed at this guy?” and “What the hell good is it going to do if I flame back?”

This step back has allowed me a bit of time to develop a more mature, nicer, more decent response (I’m not perfect…sarcasm seeps out at times, it’s a foundation problem, as the door does not perfectly fit the doorframe in my personality :slight_smile:

So, It’s a trick I actually picked up listeneing to the Dalai Lama a few years back in Taoyuan. Your reaction and your response need not be the same thing.

They can be separated. And sometimes it takes a walk around the room before SUBMIT is a done deal.

“Your reaction and your response need not be the same thing.” There it is. In a nutshell. :notworthy:

Actually in my view being decent is a lot more than what you say and how you say it. That 's good manners. They’re important, but decency and being truly decent transcends morality.

I was talking with a friend of mine in a bind over his marriage breakup and how to look after his 8-year-old son. His wife is a Taiwanese of the hopeless gambler delinquent in responsibility variety; whilst, he finds it difficult to keep it together long enough in any job to build a stable environment for his son. His wife is a total player when it comes to any dealings with him including access to his son. He knows that his wife is neglectful and he knows that under the law he can extricate his son and try to place him in a more suitable environment (his own parents for example). He also knows his wife and son have a loving albeit desperate relationship and doesn’t want to have to completely separate them. However, in the end he says should he take that route it would mean war.

He realizes this is a situation that plagues his decency. It

[quote=“Fox”]He knows that his wife is neglectful and he knows that under the law he can extricate his son and try to place him in a more suitable environment (his own parents for example). He also knows his wife and son have a loving albeit desperate relationship and doesn’t want to have to completely separate them. However, in the end he says should he take that route it would mean war.

He realizes this is a situation that plagues his decency. It

The ubiquitous dishonesty in Asian culture makes a foreigner overcautious. A guy fresh off the plane might be cheated many times in a row and become punchy.

If any readers haven’t been to Mainland know you’ll be cheated more often than in Taiwan … one must mentally prepare for the discomfort and remain calm.

Your post is a good warning.

[quote=“austin”]The ubiquitous dishonesty in Asian culture makes a foreigner overcautious. A guy fresh off the plane might be cheated many times in a row and become punchy.

If any readers haven’t been to Mainland know you’ll be cheated more often than in Taiwan … one must mentally prepare for the discomfort and remain calm.

Your post is a good warning.[/quote]

Wow. Thems powerful words and I wonder about their accuracy. Western morality and ethics and decency are more defined and guided by western judeo-christian culture as a whole, and I’ve found by observation that Taiwanese thoughts of right and wrong are much more individually based, which may be a lot more chaotic and hard to follow to a foreigner.

For example: A western shop owner probably wouldn’t try to overcharge anyone. But a Taiwanese shop owner MIGHT (and this is theoretical ONLY) think, I’ll gouge that guy because I know for a fact that he gouges his customers.

I for one can not recall once being deliberately cheated in Taiwan. Been here 10 years. But I’ve seen them cheat each other.

Ironically, western people may be less ignorant about the concepts of right and wrong, but Chinese people may have more experience deciding for themselves what is right and wrong in their daily lives.

I have to say, I saw a display of decency the other day that was jaw dropping.

It was 914 handling a drunk in a pub (not me). I worked in bars for years as a barman and manager and I’ve never seen anybody placate a guy being a drunk asshole with such class.

I don’t understand how the person in the story was competent enough to assume the fare was $100 (Yi-bai) when the real fare was only $80. Something seems illogical…

Maybe he was trained to listen to Yi Bai Quai and had no idea what Ba SHr Quai was. If he was just off the plane I could understand his frustration.

If you really want to get ripped off go to Manila…man

Grasshopper is right.

Andy explained to him that it would be one hundred nt and that’s all he knew to listen for. When he heard 80, he immediately thought he was being ripped off.

Ahhh… Now this makes sense. Thanks!

I couldn’t get a box the correct size for something I wanted to post today, so the post office woman directed me to a nearby small factory that makes cardboard boxes.
Although they normally make orders that are in the hundreds, they were happy to measure up my item, change all the settings on their cutting and creasing machines and make me a single custom-sized box, for which they charged me NT$30.
I call that pretty damn decent.

[quote=“sandman”]I couldn’t get a box the correct size for something I wanted to post today, so the post office woman directed me to a nearby small factory that makes cardboard boxes.
Although they normally make orders that are in the hundreds, they were happy to measure up my item, change all the settings on their cutting and creasing machines and make me a single custom-sized box, for which they charged me NT$30.
I call that pretty damn decent.[/quote]

I would have said something like:

San shr kwai? Cow! Tai gwai le. Ni shr bin dan. Wo hway foo yi pei kwai.

[quote=“The Gumper”][quote=“sandman”]I couldn’t get a box the correct size for something I wanted to post today, so the post office woman directed me to a nearby small factory that makes cardboard boxes.

San shr kwai? Cow! Tai gwai le. Ni shr bin dan. Wo hway foo yi pei kwai.[/quote]
Well, I tried to get them to take NT$100 for their trouble but they refused point-blank. Considering the sheet of bubble wrap I bought from the PO cost NT$40, I thought NT$30 was very reasonable. Plus they were friendly, polite and gracious. Worth every penny.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“The Gumper”][quote=“sandman”]I couldn’t get a box the correct size for something I wanted to post today, so the post office woman directed me to a nearby small factory that makes cardboard boxes.

San shr kwai? Cow! Tai gwai le. Ni shr bin dan. Wo hway foo yi pei kwai.[/quote]
Well, I tried to get them to take NT$100 for their trouble but they refused point-blank. Considering the sheet of bubble wrap I bought from the PO cost NT$40, I thought NT$30 was very reasonable. Plus they were friendly, polite and gracious. Worth every penny.[/quote]

So what are you sending me? Is it valuable? Breakable? Drinkable? I await the post with baited breath.

[quote=“Fox”]I have to say, I saw a display of decency the other day that was jaw dropping.

It was 914 handling a drunk in a pub (not me). I worked in bars for years as a barman and manager and I’ve never seen anybody placate a guy being a drunk asshole with such class.[/quote]

Thanks, Fox. That guy was :loco:

He wouldn’t survive in Taibei if he acted like that each time he got drunk. Very scary guy. Looks like a shit starter, most def.

Losers are everywhere (in the English teaching world), aren’t they?