'The Inconvenient Obama'

Obama is definitely not above the fray anymore.

[quote]
ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Sen. Barack Obama has a problem. And it lives in a hut.

His name is George Hussein Onyango Obama, and he is the 26-year-old half brother of Mr. Obama, the multimillionaire autobiographer who neglected to write that his paternal sibling lives on less than a dollar a month in the outer slums of Nairobi, Kenya.

They have met twice.

Unearthed by Italian Vanity Fair and virtually ignored by the American press, the inconvenient George Obama could emerge as a compelling character in the freshman senator’s carefully edited road-to-the-White-House narrative - especially now that his campaign has unleashed a personal attack on Sen. John McCain’s station in life.

The Obama hit job on Mr. McCain seizes on his clumsiness in answering a reporter’s question about how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own. “I think - I’ll have my staff get to you,” Mr. McCain fumbled. In a well-funded nationally televised ad spot titled “Seven,” Mr. Obama’s messenger twice repeats the correct answer as the words on the screen reinforce the meme of class warfare.

“Seven. Worth $13 million.”

The Sunday morning shows parroted Mr. Obama’s shocking discovery that the McCain family is well-off. Smarting Obamaniacs campaigning for their messiah are now scripted to ask voters in battleground states how many houses they own and participate in an official campaign contest, “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: McCain Edition.” Winners receive hope, change and fist bumps - spoils of the “new kind of politics.”

Someone who made $4.2 million last year and lives in a mansion that a mobster helped pay for should not be throwing stones. When Mr. Obama’s flesh-and-blood lives in squalor, raising the standard of living of his opponent’s extended family is probably not a smart idea.

It’s scary to think that this could be a preview of an Obama presidency in which attacking the rich is all the rage, and the rich in the news media pretend it’s OK. Hugo Chavez is having a helluva run bringing down his formerly prosperous nation of Venezuela with that formula. [/quote][quote]

Mr. McCain, of course, would be publicly eviscerated if he funded an ad campaign called “12” - as in the amount of dollars a year Mr. Obama’s half-brother subsists on. The message also could accurately point out that Mr. Obama and his wife, Michelle, have consistently fallen short of the national average in charitable contributions since they entered the highest income bracket - despite their ballyhooed “progressive” religious faith that touts “economic equality.”

It would also be fair game now to point out that preaching “social justice” pays better than being a United States senator. The Trinity United Church of Christ is building a mansion for the Rev. Jeremiah Wright that includes an elevator, a butler’s pantry, a bar, a rubberized exercise room - and the 10,000-square-foot estate backs up to the Odyssey Country Club. (Memo to wealthy Caucasian Republican members of the golf club: “Fore!”)

Attached to Mr. Wright’s church-funded property is a peculiar $10 million line of credit - presumably, none of which will be given to George Obama.

Mr. McCain’s ad also could highlight that Michelle Obama is on leave from her $317,000-a-year job at the University of Chicago Medical Center, which is now under scrutiny - along with Obama campaign chief David Axelrod and two other staffers - for a scheme that, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, “steers patients who don’t have private insurance - primarily poor, black people - to other health care facilities.”

“The medical professionals who have come to me are accusing the university of dumping patients on its neighboring institutions,” Toni Preckwinkle, alderman for the 4th Ward, told the paper.

Patient-dumping poor blacks may be interesting, but not quite as newsworthy as John McCain marrying a beer heiress 28 years ago.

Does anyone think if Mr. McCain had a sibling living in a trailer park making minimum wage (892 times more than Mr. Obama’s half brother’s yearly income) that the mainstream media and the Obama campaign wouldn’t notice?

In fact, last week National Public Radio ran a piece titled, “Cindy McCain’s Half Sister ‘Angry’ She’s Hidden,” highlighting that Mr. McCain’s wife’s half sister was left out of her father’s will. The piece was duly filed under the publicly funded network’s “conservative compassion deficit” media template.

Yet Mr. Obama has a half brother who lives in Africa on three cents a day, and the story breaks in an Italian magazine and is picked up by a London newspaper and a few others in Australia. Perhaps the story would be carried widely in America if they could figure out how to blame President Bush. But as Bob Geldof pointed out, he “has done more [for Africa] than any other president,” and of the press harshly judged, “You guys didn’t pay attention.”

Nor will they pay attention that the McCains have adopted a poor Bangladeshi child and done untold amounts of humanitarian and charity work.

What makes this story newsworthy for Italians, Brits and Aussies, but not Americans, is that the U.S. free press is free to ignore stories that could take down their preordained president. And after the Internet and talk radio-driven “Swift Boat” story unexpectedly sank their last guy, the mainstream American press is taking extra precautions this time around.

If for some inexplicable reason the media are forced by their online and talk radio betters to run with this outrageous and creepy story, key Obama supporter Oprah Winfrey can come to the rescue at the Democratic National Convention. On Night 3, the billionaire television hostess can synthesize her two best show archetypes: the heart-wrenching family reunion and “Oprah’s Favorite Things,” the giveaway of material goods.

Imagine the emotional fireworks when 75,000 Obama supporters at Invesco Field witness Barack Obama reconnecting with his destitute half brother as is he lavished with Kai Body Butter & Buffer, Perfect Endings Cupcakes by Williams-Sonoma, Hand-Blown Crystal Champagne Glasses by Deborah Ehrlich and a Pure Simplicity Pumpkin Purifying Mask.

Controversy averted. Because Democrats care more.

Andrew Breitbart is the founder of the news Web site breitbart.com and is co-author of “Hollywood Interrupted: Insanity Chic in Babylon - the Case Against Celebrity.” [/quote]
washtimes.com/news/2008/aug/26/t … ent-obama/

The entire article. Ouch ouch ouch

He may be Teflon, but Teflon CAN be painted.

Boohoo, the story about his half-brother is old (it was raised here on f.com before) and some of the facts reported in the Vanity Fair article have been proven to be false.
In case you care about the truth: Obama’s brother sets the story straight

[quote]The article implied that Barack, 47, had abandoned his half-brother. The Republican campaign picked up on this and used it to attack the presidential candidate, saying he does not care about family.

“They were portraying the wrong story,” Mr Obama said. “I’ve pretty much had a good life. I think I’ve lived OK. There’s not much I’ve lacked in life. I don’t live on a
dollar per month, that’s not logical. I’ve never lived in the streets. Those guys were tarnishing the Obama name.”[/quote]

Typical smear tactics that remain lies regardless how often you repeat them.

I don’t know what the GOP is trying to project - “OMG Obama has african half-siblings, who live a half-african life - they are poor, why isn’t he helping them?”.

Sure McCain, Hillary or any other candidates don’t have this problem, as they aren’t half kenyan.

And so what, I ask. I read “Dreams from my father”, and found it OK but a tad boring at times.

Obama was born and grew up in the US (OK with a stint in Indoneisa), and he has not lived his life around those siblings.

If I succeded I would hope that more rem ote family would be inspired by it, I would not hand them a cent. What they want they can work for.

Ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly. The Republican party believes that each person should pull themselves up by their OWN bootstraps, rather than relying on others. So by their own principles, any Kenyan relatives of Barack should be relying on themselves. And yet the fact that Obama’s Kenyan relatives are poor is being held against Obama. (Note how convenient it is that wealthy white Republicans from powerful families don’t tend to have poor relatives with darker skin in other countries.)

Take note, folks. The GOP is a VEEEEEEEEEEEERY exclusive club. If you’re black and successful, but related to anyone poor, they’re gonna piss on you for sure. Now, where’s that pointy white hat when you need it?

EDIT: Ok, ok, that was a little over the top, and I certainly don’t mean that all Republicans are racist, but these kinds of smears are really low blows and those among the 'pubs who make (and repeat) them should expect a backlash.

Dragonbones… waaaaay offside.
Edit that one, sir.
:noway:

[quote=“Jaboney”]Dragonbones… waaaaay offside.
Edit that one, sir.
:noway:[/quote]

No he does make a point. The GOP does tend to be exclusive racially. IMO it has been only since this race with Obama’s strong showing that they “realize” they need to campaign among a more diverse crowd. Hispanic voters also had a strong impact on this, as seen in the last election.

You can download it from here

obamalover.googlepages.com/

[quote=“Jaboney”]Dragonbones… waaaaay offside.
Edit that one, sir.
:noway:[/quote]

McCain, himself, was a victim of typical “white-sheet Republican” black-bashing back in 2000, when the Bush campaign spread rumors that his adopted Bangladeshi daughter was actually a “mixed-race love child”. Apparently that help swing the primary voters in the Carolinas at a key time. If the issue were that McCain had a “love child”, then of course they could just say that – fathering a child out of wedlock in addition to his ditching his crippled wife might have indicated some lack of adequate moral fiber. But then of course they have to say it’s a “mixed-race” child – highlighting the child’s dark skin and conjuring images in the Republican voters’ minds of what a horrible “race traitor” McCain must be.

Now, what exactly is “off-side”? The fact that Republicans have routinely in the past used race-based hatreds to their advantage, drumming up fears of miscegenation, of black men with white women, of blacks robbing, raping and murdering whites, etc.? The fact that Republicans have actively sought to block legit black voters from exercising their voting rights? The popularity of commentators like Hal Turner, David Duke and Sean Hannity (who gave Hal his start), whose every word is lapped up by mainstream GOP members?

Or is it “off-side” to simply point out the glaring racism? There are people who are more upset at allegations of racism than they are at racism in front of their nose. Frankly, I don’t agree. I have children that, sorry to say, would likely not be welcome at many Republican-sponsored events in the United States. That’s not how the Republican party used to be – going back to the party’s origins in the days of Lincoln, there was a time when the Republicans were THE party doing the most to improve matters.

And Dragonbones’ comment is quite accurate in one other respect – the modern Republicans are being a bit inconsistent when they have built a whole mythology about “self-reliance” and “pulling one up by one’s own bootstraps” on one hand and then come screaming because they think that Obama hasn’t given enough handouts to his family members. Which is it? Handouts are now “good” just because they can use it to try to attack Obama with the exaggerated claims of his relative’s lack of money, but they’re “bad” at all other times?

Look at this LGF thread on the Swedish Democrats. It’s full of comments like this

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ … ument_Dump

[quote]That cuts it.

“sub-cultural looks” = fucking SS uniform

I can’t believe we are having this discussion. Joining up with nazis, even tame-looking stealth nazis? What the fuck? That is what comes from reckless talk about nuking Mecca and interning American Muslims.

There are millions of Muslims in Iraq who have joined up with US. I’ll take them over these creeps any day.[/quote]
And George H W Bush and Reagan both told people to vote against Duke.

The GOP has huge issues attracting minority members: no question.
Large swaths of the party are nativist, anti-immigrant, or individualistic to a degree that ignores how that ideology can skew the field. A tiny minority of the party, no doubt, has pointy white hats in the closet.

The party’s also incredibly inconsistent.

But saddling the entire party with pointy white hats takes it to the Fox News end of the spectrum.

Further actually, LGF is at the Fox News end of the spectrum and they’re not keen on neo Nazis.

LGF is pretty far right, but vastly more intelligent than Fox.

[quote=“Jaboney”]The GOP has huge issues attracting minority members: no question.
Large swaths of the party are nativist, anti-immigrant, or individualistic to a degree that ignores how that ideology can skew the field. A tiny minority of the party, no doubt, has pointy white hats in the closet.

The party’s also incredibly inconsistent.

But saddling the entire party with pointy white hats takes it to the Fox News end of the spectrum.[/quote]

I think that’s also a little unfair with regards to Murdoch. He helped fundraise for Hillary and is intrigued with Obama, despite having serious reservations about his foreign policy.

Dragonbones, you’ve got the wrong party when it comes to the pointy hats. There is a history of intolerance in the Democratic Party.

Actually, the things in the article that struck me as real stories

was the comparison of Obama to Hugo Chavez

[quote]
It’s scary to think that this could be a preview of an Obama presidency in which attacking the rich is all the rage, and the rich in the news media pretend it’s OK. Hugo Chavez is having a helluva run bringing down his formerly prosperous nation of Venezuela with that formula.[/quote]

But at least Obama is being consistently hypocritical:

[quote]
Someone who made $4.2 million last year and lives in a mansion that a mobster helped pay for should not be throwing stones.[/quote]

AND Obama is getting that capital gains tax cut!! :laughing:

Really though, the whole bringing in the dirtpoor half brother is a non-story and to be quite honest, I don’t care. The story was revisited in this article, I believe to point to a “what-if McCain had a half brother living in a trailer park somewhere” kind of navel gazing.

It’s snot Obie’s job to take care of his extended family IMO, and in any event I’m sure he gives lots and lots of his money to the poor to make up for this “oversight.”

Or not…damn, and I’m trying to throw the guy a bone…

[quote]
Mr. Obama and his wife, Michelle, have consistently fallen short of the national average in charitable contributions since they entered the highest income bracket - despite their ballyhooed “progressive” religious faith that touts “economic equality.”[/quote]

BTW, anyone see Cindy McCain’s video biography? :whistle:

This story-to-be I thought was funny, not ha-ha funny, but just funny:[quote]
But as Bob Geldof pointed out, he[Bush] “has done more [for Africa] than any other president,” and of the press harshly judged, “You guys didn’t pay attention.”[/quote]

I think “smear” is so loosely used these days when some facts are off target. Everything need be picture perfect…even posts on quasi-literate forums like this one. Any error is seen as deliberate, or a smear…and I must say, especially when the error is committed by someone with more conservative leanings.

But this kind of smear:

[quote]
Take note, folks. The GOP is a VEEEEEEEEEEEERY exclusive club. If you’re black and successful, but related to anyone poor, they’re gonna piss on you for sure. Now, where’s that pointy white hat when you need it?[/quote]

This kind of smear from someone who yesterday or the day before said he was smarter than the 62 million people who voted for Bush in 2004…well, as I tell my son, “Smart people are ruining the world.” The same moderator leading the charge to get a “racist” thrown off this site a few months back…

Disgrace of the week folks…right here on the flob. :bravo:

So, I guess I’ll see you all in two weeks. :s

[quote=“Jaboney”]The GOP has huge issues attracting minority members: no question.
Large swaths of the party are nativist, anti-immigrant, or individualistic to a degree that ignores how that ideology can skew the field. A tiny minority of the party, no doubt, has pointy white hats in the closet.[/quote]

I don’t think the racist elements in the party are quite so tiny, personally, but I certainly don’t mean all of them. Your point is taken, and my post may have been a bit over the top.

However, I feel it’s the criticisms of Obama in this regard which are offsides, and if they can dish it out, then they should expect to receive in kind.

I really do find the Republican tactics in this area to be quite offensive, and I stand by the overall point. It’s only ‘inconvenient’ to have a poor, black, African relative if one looks down on the poor, blacks, and/or Africans, and it’s certainly also hypocritical of some of the 'pubs to criticize Obama for not supporting some poor relative in Africa when they do nothing but create tax cuts for the rich, and screw the poor every chance they get.

[quote=“Rascal”]Boohoo, the story about his half-brother is old (it was raised here on f.com before) and some of the facts reported in the Vanity Fair article have been proven to be false.
In case you care about the truth: Obama’s brother sets the story straight[/quote]

Oh yeah, stylin in the good life:[quote]
Mr Obama lives in a small, one-room shack made out of corrugated metal in the gritty, impoverished Nairobi neighbourhood of Huruma, where six people were killed during political and ethnic violence that gripped Kenya this year.

An open sewer runs down the middle of the dirt street in front of his house. Inside his room, Mr Obama has a poster of his famous half-brother.[/quote]

But, he says he’s happy! Good on him. I sure wouldn’t be.

So, which is it? Do you believe in handouts or not? Most of the time, we hear GOPpers talking all about “personal responsibility” and “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps” and so on… but as soon as they think that Obama’s got a relative somewhere in the world who is not doing well, it seems y’all are expecting Obama to come to the rescue and buy his relatives TVs, a power station and working plumbing.

But that’s not all – the way most GOPpers act, you’d think that he shouldn’t be happy in Kenya unless he had a flat-tax, a ban on abortion and a constitutional amendment making it illegal for gay couples to marry. :loco:

[quote=“mofangongren”]So, which is it? Do you believe in handouts or not? Most of the time, we hear GOPpers talking all about “personal responsibility” and “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps” and so on… but as soon as they think that Obama’s got a relative somewhere in the world who is not doing well, it seems y’all are expecting Obama to come to the rescue and buy his relatives TVs, a power station and working plumbing.

But that’s not all – the way most GOPpers act, you’d think that he shouldn’t be happy in Kenya unless he had a flat-tax, a ban on abortion and a constitutional amendment making it illegal for gay couples to marry. :loco:[/quote]

I think brother-of-Obama is a non-issue. What I find more telling is Obama not putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to charitable donations and “attacking” the rich when he’s pretty damn rich himself.

It’s idiotic. But then again, this whole erection season has been idiotic.

Tee hee.

During the 2000 Republican convention, George W. was criticized for prominently featuring blacks such as Rice and Powell, as if to cover up the party’s white orientation. (Later he did, in fact, appoint them to high positions.)

The Republicans have at times attempted to reach out to Hispanics, though their success varies a lot by region. Nationally, I think they get at most about 30 percent of the Hispanic vote. And a majority of the Asian vote, if memory serves.