The IPO Thread 2020-2021

Bad sign. A lot of rubbish newly launched onto the market with no scrutiny .

Pass the parcel .

I’m not an options trader, but WKHS is still in the news and that’s good for me.

To capitalize, I have two trade ideas to consider.

My Two Favorite WKHS Stock Options Trades

The sky-high premiums in options land are more than justified given the stock’s wild nature. It allows for some exciting trade ideas if you’re looking for either a lower cost/limited risk alternative to buying shares or if you desire a higher probability of profit.

Keep in mind, the baseline odds of purchasing stock is 50-50. It’s a coinflip in the short run. Part of the appeal of using options is to shift the odds in your favor, to create a position with a probability of profit well north of 50%. For a low-priced ticker like WKHS, naked puts are my instrument of choice for accomplishing this.

Suppose, for instance, that you’re comfortable wagering Workhorse will remain above $19 moving into year-end. As long as it doesn’t decline more than 26% from Friday’s close, your bet will payout.

Naked Put : Sell the December $19 put for 95 cents.

The max gain is limited to the initial $95 received per contract. The potential loss arises from the obligation you’re under by selling the put. In exchange for getting paid the 95 cents per share, you promise to buy shares at the strike of $19 if the put sits in-the-money at expiration. Because of the 95 cent premium, however, your actual cost will be $18.05.

If that’s an acceptable proposition, then let the short put ride to expiration. Otherwise, you could repurchase it to exit if WKHS stock falls below $19. The initial margin required is only around $200, so this naked put play offers an attractive return on the initial investment of nearly 50%.

The second idea amps up the return but requires Workhorse to rise past $30 by January.

Bull Call : Buy the January $25/$30 call vertical for $1.65.

The risk is limited to $1.65 and will be lost if the stock is below $25 at expiration. On the upside, you have the potential to capture a profit of $3.35 if it rises past $30. That translates into a return of 203%.

1 Like

Most SPAC deals don’t come with benevolent billionaires attached. In fact, if history is any guide, the average post-merger SPAC investor is in for a fleecing not unlike the ones dealt out in the shoddy blind-pool deals peddled by those bucket shops of the 1980s and ’90s.

I feel like I should call a waaaambulance.

The only fleecing I have is in my winter coat. Invest wisely. Don’t speculate more than you’re willing to lose.

I think folks wouldbe better off putting their money in the big blue chips and industrials surely.

Airbnb is scheduled to price its initial public offering on Dec. 9 and trade Dec. 10, three people familiar with the situation said. The start-up is expected to trade on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the ticker ABNB. Morgan Stanley (ticker: MS) and Goldman Sachs (GS) are lead underwriters on the deal, according to Airbnb’s prospectus.

The offering from Airbnb is expected to raise $3 billion, making it one of the year’s biggest. The timing of the deal could change, one of the people said.

Earlier this month, Airbnb made public the regulatory filing for the offering. The San Francisco-based start-up is expected to file an updated prospectus with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday, one of the people said, detailing the number of shares Airbnb is offering and a range of potential prices.

Morgan Stanley didn’t respond to messages seeking comment, while Goldman declined to comment.

Several other companies will also begin trading next week with plans to make their debuts the day before Airbnb. The best-known one is DoorDash, the food-delivery company backed by SoftBank (SFTBY). DoorDash is slated to price its IPO on Dec. 8 and begin trading on Dec. 9.

DoorDash declined to comment.

DoorDash on Monday set out terms for its offering. The start-up is selling 33 million shares at $75 to $85 each, a filing said. The company is expected to trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DASH. Goldman and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) are lead underwriters on the IPO, an SEC filing said.

C3.ai, the enterprise artificial-intelligence software company, and the advertising technology firm PubMatic are expected to price their IPOs and begin trading on the same schedule as DoorDash, people said. On Monday, c3.ai filed to sell 15.5 million shares at $31 to $34 each. The company is expected to trade under the symbol AI on the New York Stock Exchange.

Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan and BofA Securities are lead underwriters on the c3.ai deal, a filing said. C3.ai has yet to say when it will price the deal and list the stock, a spokeswoman said.

PubMatic said Monday in a filing with the SEC that it is offering 5.9 million shares at $16 to $18 each via lead underwriters Jefferies (JEF) and RBC Capital Markets. The company is slated to trade on the Nasdaq under the symbol PUBM.

PubMatic offers a cloud infrastructure platform that enables programmatic advertising transactions, the SEC filing said. Programmatic refers to the use of software to buy advertising instead of the traditional process involving negotiations. PubMatic declined to comment.

1 Like

Read a book that mentioned this company.

very interesting story:

By Jarrett Banks

Investors looking for a certified B Corp. couldn’t do better than AgTech startup AppHarvest, which combines more than purpose and profit: It is reviving an entire region whose residents desperately want it there.

AppHarvest’s Kentucky greenhouse is less than a day’s drive from 70% of America’s population, which will reduce fuel and food waste associated with transporting fresh vegetables around the country. The greenhouse grower, which relies on rainwater rather than local water supplies, aims to create jobs in Eastern Kentucky, a region hard hit by the decline of the coal industry.

And with the company going public via a merger with a SPAC called Novus Capital Corp. (Ticker: NOVS), investors have a chance to be a part of the Appalachian food revolution. The combination, which is expected to close late in the fourth quarter of 2020 or early in the first quarter of 2021, is expected to provide $475 million of gross proceeds to the company, including $375 million from a fully committed common stock PIPE at $10.00 per share anchored by existing and new investors – Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Inclusive Capital, and Novus Capital Corp. Investors who buy NOVS shares now will automatically see them convert to shares of the combined company after the merger closes.

The company is one of only 3,600 certified B Corps and will become one of just a dozen publicly traded public benefit corporations. Jonathan Webb, the Founder and CEO of AppHarvest, which will use the ticker APPH when it lists on the Nasdaq, is very outspoken about the need for companies to be “sticky” in the long term. The company aspires to transform American agriculture with large-scale, controlled indoor farms. J.D. Vance, author of national bestseller The Hillbilly Elegy , is on the board of directors.

The company says its farms aim to improve access to non-GMO fruits and vegetables, reduce water usage by 90%, and eliminate agricultural runoff. The company plans to use the $475 million from the transaction to fund more projects in the area.

AppHarvest just announced it has planted its first tomato crop at its high-tech controlled environment agriculture facility in Morehead, Ky. The crop is scheduled to be harvested and available at leading U.S. grocery stores in early 2021. The “Dutch-style” 60-acre facility is one of the world’s biggest high-tech greenhouses (it has strong relationships with companies in the Netherlands, which has the world’s leading high-tech greenhouse industry). The company is also already building a second similar-size facility in nearby Richmond, Ky.

1 Like

I may take a flyer on this one… thanks.

A lot of these spac companies seen to be highly specialized and dependent on one product or service being ‘a hit’, most don’t even have a proper revenue stream yet!

Some yes, others like ABNB do. I am putting up stuff here that catches my eye, specifically for discussion.

LGVW, the Butterfly hand held ultrasound thingy is popping 7% in premarket today btw. They should combine next month, so I’ll take an early bump then gtfo and enjoy xmas. I have learned my lesson about not falling in lurve with freshly minted IPOS. Sold PLTR recently for a 130% gain. Keeping my small positions in EV cars though…just in case. :wink:

I just look at the established big multinational leading companies that still have knocked down evaluations. They are easy 2x within a year without the risk.

Put them up. I’d like to see what you’re looking at. I’m looking hard at GM.

Disney always one of my faves. CCL once people get vaccinated they can go back cruising and it will surely move up . Hotel groups and airlines I guess. I bought some oil stocks before but I don’t want to recommend them.

I’m listening to folks talking up the European/International markets for their projected GDP growth next year, which is double the US projections. China is booming, switching to internal growth.

Ryanair? Don’t know the current stock situation though. Might be a good idea for me to buy EU stocks as held in Euro.

It’s up about 15+% or so since November. I’ll take a look at that. Works well with the GDP info I’ve seen.

Cathie Wood Buys More Workhorse Shares On USPS Delay Sell-Off

9:42 am ET December 3, 2020 (Benzinga) Print

More Workhorse Group Inc (NASDAQ: WKHS) shares were added to one of Cathie Wood’s Ark ETFs Wednesday.

What Happened: Wood added 153,000 shares of Workhorse to the Ark Autonomous Technology & Robotics ETF (BATS: ARKQ).

The ETF now owns 1.36 million shares of Workhorse. The stock is the 18th largest position in the ETF with assets of $27.8 million and makes up 2.4% of the fund’s assets.

Why It’s Important: Workhorse shares fell as news came from Trucks.com that the U.S. Postal Service was delaying a $6 billion contract for 180,000 delivery vehicles. The USPS confirmed the delay.

A decision has now been pushed out to the first three months of 2021, which is the second fiscal quarter for the USPS.

Workhorse is one of three finalists for the contract along with Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK) and Karsan.

Wood could be betting that Workhorse will still win the contract and the market sell-off was an overreaction. The contract award from the USPS has been delayed several times previously.

WKSH Price Action: Shares of Workhorse were down 19% to $20.43 Wednesday. Shares are trading 6% higher to $21.59 in pre-market trading Thursday.

The Ark Autonomous Technology & Robotics ETF is up 86% in 2020.

This 'Cathie Wood buys shares ’ will surely get old soon . :sunglasses:
Still being one of three contenders for that contrsct isn’t bad

Went up 11% after she bought. Wonder how much of that is people following her lead.

1 Like

Folks assume insider knowledge. Fine by me.

I had to check @Brianjones, but yup, she’s backing LGVW and Butterfly thing as well.

It’s very close to the edge of insider trading…No?
And it’s incestuous. Way too easy to bump the stock with an info leak.