The Islands Thread

This is in reply to several poster who asked about things to do in Penghu, Jinmen and Matsu in January.

BRRRR!!! FYI, that’s generally speaking a very cold and windy time to be visiting islands in the Taiwan Strait.

We will be in Jinmen first part of June for a weekend. We will be attending an event there. A list of hotels have been provided but does anyone have recommendations of where to stay. Perhaps someone’s recommendation is on the list. Also what about transportation. We do not ride a motorbike. What other ways to get around? What about taxi service?

I’m looking for a travel buddy to cycle down to Kenting this winter.

I’ve been thinking to do it for quite some time now.Dont have that cool-crazy friend.Wasnt able to start a new topic so had to post here.If you know anyone whos in same kinda situation let me know

Some alternative information on Penghu - still ‘work-in-progess’ - but I hope to have detailed information on most of the beaches, coves & diving/snorkelling sites;

penghu-info.weebly.com

I was goaded into setting up this site simply because its easier than having to answer everyone’s request of where to go etc… been a lot of such requests recently…(my other domain name got cancelled)

Travel in Taiwan article about Kinmen:

http://issuu.com/travelintaiwan/docs/travel_in_taiwan_2014-9-10/12-13

Hannes, congratulations for your magazine. It looks really nice.

I haven’t visited any of the islands yet, and I really wanted to visit at least one this summer…

[quote=“jesus80”]Hannes, congratulations for your magazine. It looks really nice.

I haven’t visited any of the islands yet, and I really wanted to visit at least one this summer…[/quote]

Thanks! We visited Matsu, Penghu, Lanyu, and Kinmen in the last two years.

I think I liked Matsu best. They have mountains and trees, old villages, military stuff, not many tourists, some island hopping, and it overall felt nice.

Lanyu was great too. The villages are a bit ugly, but the scenery is awesome.

Kinmen was a pleasant trip too. I liked to bag those cute wind lion statues, I managed to find like 20 despite my travel companions having not much interest in them and therefore getting a bit impatient with me (“another wind lion? really?”)

In Penghu I liked the columnar basalt (“stone waterfall”) on Xiyu’s west coast and Wang’an Island, but of the four places, Penghu is my least favorite. I like less tourists and more trees (Matsu) :slight_smile: