The Japanese man who gets paid to 'do nothing'

Many of these odd jobs now in Japan. Be a friend of lonely person ect

Even jobs for non Japanese

6 Likes

Fascinating .

3 Likes

I think Japan is more Fascinating ., interesting and strange, as always something new pops up. Everytime I go back, I see something different. In Southern Taiwan I go out to search/find something new and fascinating which keeps me interested in life in Taiwan. I am happy that travel is open and no limits for me in Japan/Hawaii (I know some non residents are limited). But the cost outside of Taiwan and Japan is crazy high!

1 Like

That do-nothing guy is kind of a philosopher who accepts that he has no economic value to society but says society shouldn’t need you to have an economic value to live.

Besides he does actually provide a useful service while he is flicking through his phone. There are lots of people who don’t want to be alone when out and about or who just need somebody to share their burden with.

5 Likes

Thus guy is more energetic and productive than some people I have worked with.

4 Likes

Also thinks more than many workers I know (Some do not think at all it seems)

1 Like

Interesting job

I know of a woman in America who is paid >$100k/yr to go to a very nice office in an expensive office building downtown every day to sit at a reception desk and play games or whatever she wants on the computer. She is the only person on the entire floor and answers the phone perhaps once or twice a year and has only ever gotten one visitor.

She works for a large Japanese multinational and the office exists solely for appearance sake. No business is conducted there and her role is simply to save face if somebody should ever show up in person or somehow find the number for that particular office.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good premise for a Black Mirror episode. One day somebody turns up…

2 Likes