The Jayson Blair Project

for what? breach of disingeniousness? or posthaste de riegeur?

THIS JUST IN: DEVELOPING…

Asked by the Daily News whether Raines, Boyd or any other staffer involved with Blair offered to resign because of the scandal, Sulzberger said no.

“The person who did this is Jayson Blair,” he said.

Meanwhile, staffers buzzed about whether Blair’s relationship with a woman who is a friend of Raines’ wife helped win him favored treatment.

Sources said the woman, Zuza Glowacka, has worked in The Times’ photo department.

The Times reported Sunday that Blair, when confronted with a charge of plagiarizing a story about a Texas family, was able to describe their house in detail, possibly because he had seen the paper’s “computerized photo archives.”

Glowacka, 23, a Polish emigre who could not be reached yesterday, is said to be a friend of Raines’ Polish-born wife, Krystyna Stachowiak, whom the editor married in March.

Stachowiak, a former …

sandie, see? cribbing versus plagiarising:

“As editor of the New Republic in the mid-'90s, Sullivan protected and defended the young Shalit in an almost identical fashion as she sloppily cribbed and plagiarized again and again after being busted in public again and again.”

Wasn’t Oliver cribbing there? Oh maybe not

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar … May13.html

turns out, see photo, the guy is like 4 feet 11 inches tall. short.

‘‘During a brief telephone conversation with his mother, Frances Blair, I heard a woman at once hurt and relieved, as if a child had been seriously injured but not killed in a terrible accident. “We are all doing just fine,” she said with a sigh.’’

i think i figured it out now. blair did this, as a pathology of his personality, not because he is black or short or crafty, althou he is all three. He did it… drum roll… because he was raped 10 years ago by a relative and he has been trying to overcome the trauma of that unreported crime (he only told his family, mom and dad) ever since and he warped his sense of reality and life values. period.

NEWS: ‘‘Disgraced former New York Times reporter Jayson Blair may be out of work and out of friends - but he could be looking at up to a $1 million payday if he wants to come clean in a tell-all book.
“I think the book would be worth around seven figures,” said Robert Gottlieb, a literary agent at Trident Media. “A story like that goes right to the core of the Times editorial management.”’’

Tiger Woods’ mommy is Thai.
So why don’t we hear about what a great Thai golfer Tiger is?

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Tiger Woods’ mommy is Thai.
So why don’t we hear about what a great Thai golfer Tiger is?[/quote]

In Thailand you do.

edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiap … ranscript/

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Tiger Woods’ mommy is Thai.

Thai people don’t think of Tiger Woods as Thai. They blame it on the fact that his mother never taught him how to speak Thai. I also think there is a bit of racism involved too.

[quote=“wix”][quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Tiger Woods’ mommy is Thai.

Thai people don’t think of Tiger Woods as Thai. They blame it on the fact that his mother never taught him how to speak Thai. I also think there is a bit of racism involved too.[/quote]

Quite right. There was a big stink when the government planned to give him honorary Thai citizenship. Thai women lose their citizenship and property rights when they marry a foreigner.

i think of Tiger as Thai, always have. african american and thai. he is not a black.

but wolfman, get back on message. what do you EMINENCE GRISE of the Taiwan reportial corps, think of what he did, and did anyone in Taiwan ever do things like this, that u know of? Read my earlier posts here. Someone told me once there was a dude just like Jayson Blair at the TT, and he was also half black half hawaiiwan. and he got fired for cheating on someone else’s articles. is that true or just a baroom story?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

Jayson $$$$$$$$$$ Blair is ready for his closeup.
has hired an agent to scope out book and TV deals that could net him a mid-six-figure paycheck

I amazed no one has mentioned Stephen Glass. There’s a movie being made about him, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Blair is given similar treatment.

hk pjoeey you are right of course. glass and blair, tweedledum and tweedledee

i can’t believe it. the US media, Internet media, is now posting Jayosn Blair’s street address, snail mail address:

200 Vessey Street, New York, New York 10285

It seems that this is a major breech of privacy! Who’s business is it? The address appears in a story website about Blair’s unpaid AMEX bills.

Shouldn’t there be a law to prevent this kind of public info getting out? Too late now!

thesmokinggun.com/archive/blairamex1.html

wolf, you really do have a lot of free time on your hands recently to worry about such dreck. Nobody cares.Why don’t you give us some of your real insights into the Jayson Blair case and how it relates to Taiwan journalismo? Forget all this minor TT stuff. Everyone makes mistakes. so what?

How could anything that happens in “real” journalistic circles like the New York Times, have any relation to what goes on in Taiwan?
Jayson Blair? He stole material. His boss was out of touch and let it slide. Blair gets the ax. End of story. Ho-hum.
Read this if you want more input on the media:
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45

Woldman wrote: “How could anything that happens in “real” journalistic circles like the New York Times, have any relation to what goes on in Taiwan?
Jayson Blair? He stole material. His boss was out of touch and let it slide. Blair gets the ax. End of story. Ho-hum.”

Yeh, but if you had read the Blair thread, someone asked a question about some punkster at the TT a few years back who allegedlydid the same thing, stole quotes from other reporters and then tried to pass them off as his own. If that is true. Since you worked there,maybe you heard of this and if it;s true and if it has anything to do with the Times affair. Maybe not.

I guess I am just talking to myself here now, but hey, I’m a good listener, too!

Turns out the dude was a bigtime coke snuffer! He has just admitted it to CNN. Huge alcohlic and drug freak. In denial until the shite hit the fan. Happens to us all!

Making stuff up is not unique to journalists who are black, or American. Someone mentioned Glass, and there’s Mike Barnicle at the Boston Globe, and then there was a German freelancer living in L.A. a few years ago who made up celebrity quotes.

The root causes of this problem – besides the reporters’ laziness, and/or a desire to deceive – was the editors never checked up on their stories, either because they couldn’t, didn’t want to, didn’t have enough time to, or some other reason.

In addition, there were special factors unique to each case. At the Boston Globe, Barnicle was seen as this sacred personality – a Globe institution, really – that no one could accuse of lying. He was a good writer, grew up in a working-class Boston neighborhood, was a Vietnam vet, had been at the Globe for years, and wrote touching stories about the down and out. I remember two of his columns from the 80s, one about black mothers from the inner city who would pick used diapers from white families out of dumpsters (“Look! This one’s only got piss stains on it!”), and another one about a Vietnam vet with AIDS who had gone back to his hometown in the hills of West Virginia to die. None of these people were named; at the time I thought this was because their situations were so tragic. Now I know the quotes – and perhaps the people – were probably made up. His editors only started questioning him after another columnist at the paper, Patricia Smith, was caught making something up. Both were fired.

The German guy got away with what he did because none of the subjects he wrote about could read German, and translations are never provided to them. Incidentally, this type of situation happens in Taiwan, too (I will get into this in a second)

As for Blair, besides the issue of editors named above, I would say two additional factors allowed him to get away with it for so long: One, the NYT is desperate to hire and promote black reporters; and two, Blair was good at making friends in high places.

Do fabricated quotes make it into the English dailies? The answer is, yes, at least with one Post reporter in the late 90s. It was also the case with several reporters writing for Chinese-language publications, too. Unless reporting and editing practices have radically changed in the last few years, this type of thing is still going on.

I will illustrate with an example: In the late 90s, I worked for one of the English dailies. One day, myself, and about 10 other Taipei reporters, were invited to a roundtable interview with a Hollywood actor. Myself and the Post reporter were the only foreign nationals there, and we were told by the P.R. people to “lead the conversation”, because the other reporters didn’t have the English skills, and no translators would be provided.

The discussion lasted about 30 minutes. Myself and the Post reporter asked most of the questions. The actor talked a lot. I took a few notes, but was counting on my tape recorder (which I used almost every time I conducted an interview) to allow me to review what the actor said, and get a few good quotes. I think only one other Taiwanese reporter who worked for a radio station recorded the interview. No one else had recorders that I could see, and most did not seem to take many notes, either. I found out why as soon as the interview was over. As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed everyone else was still in their seats, not moving to get up. As soon as the actor was out the door, one of the local journos asked “ta shuo shenme?” and they all proceeded to discuss and argue over what the actor had said, and furiously scribble down the details. During the debate, they turned to the Post reporter frequently because she had apparently understood most of the interview and could also speak Chinese with near fluency.

Unfortunately for them, the Post reporter got a lot of it wrong. I know this because I compared my story – which was based on a taped interview – with hers. The “quotes” were simply paraphrased from what she remembered, and were not accurate. Not only did she have the actor saying things that he didn’t actually say, but she misreprented what he meant. These inaccuracies probably made it into the Chinese papers, too, because the reporters depended on her to interpret what the actor allegedly said, and they were too sloppy or pressed for time to record the interview and listen to the tape.

Did the actor notice? Probably not. Even if he did, or other people told him about it, I doubt he would care. After all, this isn’t a political scandal, or testimony that could be used in a criminal case – it’s a fluff piece in the entertainment section, published in an odd little country most people in Hollywood confuse with Thailand.

But it makes you think … if reporters don’t bother recording interviews, and editors don’t check the stories, and the only proof available are some scrawls in a notebook, and perhaps the source (if he or she can be reached) it is very easy for inaccurate or incorrect quotes to make it into the paper. It’s also very easy for reporters to fabricate quotes and sources. It’s this kind of system that allowed Blair, Barnicle, and the German freelancer to get away with lying for so long, and also lets people like the Post reporter and others publish questionable stories without ever getting caught, or having their work called into question.

Klaxon, Blair’s conduct goes way beyond “we don’t understand English, so we relied on someone else to explain to us”. He’s arguably a worse example than Barnicle and Glass; they, at least, were somewhat chastened by their having been found out, while Blair seems to be reveling in it.

Here’s the “cokehead” article, along with some photos so people can see some of the people involved. (I’m only including the third photo because I love the sign that the protester is holding :slight_smile: ).

Former New York Times reporter Jayson Blair is seen in this undated file photograph provided by the New York Times, May 12, 2003. Blair resigned from the Times earlier this month after revelations that he had fabricated facts and quotes in many of his stories. Controversy over revelations of widespread lies by Blair at The New York Times swirled throughout the industry on Monday, leading experts to wonder what could prevent such a problem and what lies ahead at the nation’s most influential newspaper. NO SALES REUTERS/HO/The New York Times

New York Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr., left, walks with Executive Editor Howell Raines, center, and Managing Editor Gerald Boyd on their way to a meeting with the paper’s reporters and editors in New York Wednesday, May 14, 2003. The town hall-style meeting was called to discuss the paper’s handling of former Times reporter Jayson Blair, who was found to have plagiarized or fabricated material in at least three dozen articles. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

New York Times staff members display their identification cards as they arrive for a meeting with the paper’s senior editors in New York Wednesday, May 14, 2003. The town hall-style meeting was called to discuss the paper’s handling of former Times reporter Jayson Blair, who was found to have plagiarized or fabricated material in at least three dozen articles. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&ncid=578&e=8&u=/nm/20030521/ts_nm/media_times_dc

[quote]NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former New York Times reporter Jayson Blair laughed about his journalistic deceptions and “idiot” editors, according to an interview published on Wednesday, his first since resigning under fire.

Blair, whose falsifications shook one of America’s most prestigious newspapers, told the weekly New York Observer newspaper, “I was drunk on assignment,” and he described himself as a “former total cokehead.”

“Drugs and alcohol were definitely part of my self-medication,” Blair said.

He also seemed to take pride in his fraud.

“From my perspective – and I know I shouldn’t be saying this – I fooled some of the most brilliant people in journalism,” he said.

The New York Observer said Blair “claimed he was assigned to ‘idiot’ editors and, as a result, 'began to act out.”’

Blair, 27, pretended to write stories from out of town when he was at home in New York, fabricated quotes and plagiarized from other newspapers, the Times reported on May 11 in a 14,000-word article detailing the reporter’s “long trail of deception.” Blair resigned from the newspaper May 1, when confronted by editors.

“I was young at The New York Times,” Blair said in the interview. “I was black at The New York Times, which is something that hurts you as much as it helps you.”

The New York Observer said Blair was amused by parts of The Times’ description of his transgressions.

In one instance he pretended to have visited the West Virginia home of Pfc. Jessica Lynch, the prisoner of war rescued by U.S. forces in Iraq. He wrote how Lynch’s father had “choked up as he stood on the porch here overlooking the tobacco fields and cattle pastures.”

The Times reported that “the porch overlooks no such thing.”

“The description was just so far off from reality,” Blair said. “I just couldn’t stop laughing” at the Times’ report setting the record straight.[/quote]