The job pressure and stress working at a Buxiban is making me sick

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced health problems caused by working in a Buxiban? I have recently been diagnosed as suffering from stress and anxiety and I am sure that it is all caused by the Buxiban working environment. After developing symptoms of shaking, difficulty breathing, trouble sleeping and constant anxiety about travial work related matters I went for a check-up and found that my heat rate was higher than normal and I was suggested to take some medication.

Does anyone else not find it all really stressful?

I work in a “proper” buxiban - if such a thing exists. They don’t call themselves a “hardcore foreign run buxiban” but I would certainly consider it as one. I very rarely throw a sticky ball and have to speed through the curriculum to cover everything that is required. There is so much pressure from the head foreign managers to get the kids to learn well, achieve good scores on the in-house tests that we need to give, keep student numbers up and complete all of the test marking and progress reports. The parents are also really demanding and regularly have complaints/ suggestions or just want to enter into a dialogue. Break times are spent listening to kids read through one ear whilst helping the weaker kids to prepare for their tests or complete their unfinished work. Then there is the fact that elementary school kids are still kids at the end of the day and controlling them to complete the work, sit and learn or just not disturb each other is a task in itself. Plus every teacher has a few problem students in their classes don’t they?

All of this has lead me to just want to pack it all in and call it a day. The damage to my health just isn’t worth the $600 an hour that they offer. Should I transfer to work at a chain school where I am the foreign monkey - go in, throw the ball around and get out. That sort of a gig seems mighty appealing to me right now.

Or is it all the same shit - just in a different pot?

I don’t get the impression things have been right for you since you left Australia. Sorry to be blunt, but you haven’t really had much positive to say for the last two years. I think you need to evaluate what is going on in your whole life.

Sorry (again) to be so blunt, but you’ve been through an absolute ton emotionally these past few years, and now your job is making you sick… take a step back and maybe a solo holiday. Figure out what you want from your life.

The sad thing is the kids are getting all this uptight energy from their parents and now the foreign monkey too. When I was teaching for a cram school the manager was constantly on my ass about keeping up with the curriculum. I was always behind anyway and didn’t take my boss too seriously since I knew they didn’t want to have to replace me. I feel sorry for the teachers nowadays getting pinched and prodded by management that knows they can be easily replaced. Despite being a lesson or 2 behind, my class always scored above average in listening comprehension. They smiled more than some of the other classes too. It was pretty obvious that many of my students never had anyone that bothered to really listen to what they had to say. It’s a shame when the human element is minimized in an academic setting. It’s probably the single most important factor in a student’s development

You are correct that what you are doing is NOT worth your health. I had a good friend who worked for years for NT$ 500 or less an hour because she really liked the environment she worked in and really liked her boss. It made the work environment very relaxed. She knew for SURE that her boss would take care of discipline issues. In fact, because this was a tiny place owned by the boss, if the boss couldn’t deal with the behavior issues well enough she’d just ask the parents to find a different place for their children. This person actually cared more about every other kid’s chances to learn than about one kid’s tuition. But this is the only such boss I’ve ever heard of in Taiwan!

This is all to say that the environment you work in is very, very important. The people you work with, the attitude of your superiors and your co-workers–and your own attitude–these things matter. And the only part of any of this that you have any control over is your own attitude and behavior.

If you’ve done all you can do on your own behalf in an attempt to stay in your job, then you owe it to yourself to do what you can on your behalf and get out. Find a better job (if possible), find a different kind of job (if possible), or seriously re-think the direction your life is taking and what you might do to change that.

Whatever you do, YOU are the ONLY ONE who can do what’s right for YOU. And YOU are the only one who WILL do what’s best for you. Everyone else out there wants something from you, or couldn’t care less. Friends will care and give advice if they’re close enough, but in the end you will be the one to make your life better or worse. And what YOU can and should do may not be the same as what someone else could our would do. What’s right for most might not work for you.

Many people get so into life in Taiwan–addicted to the place–that they don’t even want to entertain ideas that don’t include living there. But it sounds like you’re in a place right now where you need to put all the cards on the table and take a good look at the game you’re playing.

Good luck.

Agree.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]Hi,

Has anyone else experienced health problems caused by working in a Buxiban? I have recently been diagnosed as suffering from stress and anxiety and I am sure that it is all caused by the Buxiban working environment. After developing symptoms of shaking, difficulty breathing, trouble sleeping and constant anxiety about travial work related matters I went for a check-up and found that my heat rate was higher than normal and I was suggested to take some medication.

Does anyone else not find it all really stressful?

I work in a “proper” buxiban - if such a thing exists. They don’t call themselves a “hardcore foreign run buxiban” but I would certainly consider it as one. I very rarely throw a sticky ball and have to speed through the curriculum to cover everything that is required. There is so much pressure from the head foreign managers to get the kids to learn well, achieve good scores on the in-house tests that we need to give, keep student numbers up and complete all of the test marking and progress reports. The parents are also really demanding and regularly have complaints/ suggestions or just want to enter into a dialogue. Break times are spent listening to kids read through one ear whilst helping the weaker kids to prepare for their tests or complete their unfinished work. Then there is the fact that elementary school kids are still kids at the end of the day and controlling them to complete the work, sit and learn or just not disturb each other is a task in itself. Plus every teacher has a few problem students in their classes don’t they?

All of this has lead me to just want to pack it all in and call it a day. The damage to my health just isn’t worth the $600 an hour that they offer. Should I transfer to work at a chain school where I am the foreign monkey - go in, throw the ball around and get out. That sort of a gig seems mighty appealing to me right now.

Or is it all the same shit - just in a different pot?[/quote]

Could it be that you have a great fear of being fired?
You need to evaluate all your given tasks, and see if they are required within a reasonable time-frame.
If it’s not manageable, draw a line and tell your management that you can’t do it. Keep your arguments logical and reasonable.
For example; your lesson plan says, have each kid come to the board, choose one item and talk about his/her feelings blablabla.
20 children = 20 X coming to the board each 20 seconds + talking about feelings 1-2 minutes = 90 seconds X 20 = 30 minutes.
If you are required to do 5 of those activities within one hour, it’s impossible to do.

Relax and draw a line. Don’t worry about getting laid off. If you are calm and relaxed, the chance for this to happen decreases dramatically.
Getting laid off is part of the experience anyway.

Experienced teacher looking for work!
Surviving this long already earns you a medal.

The foreign managers are the worst. They are just glorified buxiban teachers with inflated senses of importance. I am a manager, I have made it in life…woooo woooo.

And for 600 an hour? Fuck that. You bwill earn more than that being a monkey.

Teach in a junior high school if you can, less stress overall. I had a stressful job for a few years and recognize everything you wrote there, in the end you will quit sooner or later. As the pay is not very high and working environment poor quitting earlier sounds pretty good, if you can.

WOW,hamletintaiwan,thats what I want to hear…sounds experienced :thumbsup:

Arguably it’s the privilege of those of us from the first world, but getting stressed out to the point of illness for 600 an hour? We are blessed with so many more options than that.

Deleted. Nastiness Isn’t my forte anymore. :bow:

I was on your side until now. Sure Ironlady hasn’t examined IELTS and she doesn’t know the band indicators for an 8 and she hates everyone that doesn’t agree with her. Sure Hamlet (check the spelling here) intaiwan is mean to you and ehophi (whatever that means) is a grammar junky, but are you following people around on here making stupid comments or is it just me?

Do not feed the troll.

I was on your side until now. Sure Ironlady hasn’t examined IELTS and she doesn’t know the band indicators for an 8 and she hates everyone that doesn’t agree with her. Sure Hamlet (check the spelling here) intaiwan is mean to you and ehophi (whatever that means) is a grammar junky, but are you following people around on here making stupid comments or is it just me?[/quote]

I had the same feeling so I started to get mean, but only a little.

Anyhow, if you are stalking me, stop it or… :bluemad:

I was on your side until now. Sure Ironlady hasn’t examined IELTS and she doesn’t know the band indicators for an 8 and she hates everyone that doesn’t agree with her. Sure Hamlet (check the spelling here) intaiwan is mean to you and ehophi (whatever that means) is a grammar junky, but are you following people around on here making stupid comments or is it just me?[/quote]

What, hanging out with IELTS examiners doesn’t count? :unamused:

Well, EYE did IELTS examining and I say IL’s assessment was not incorrect. And we like to hang out when we have the chance, so she’s correct there, too. And who cares? It’s a silly troll and I can’t understand why anyone keeps engaging it.

Maybe one has to DRINK with the IELTS examiners. That could explain it.

Well,its rather be silly then to stress till sick.not worth dear :laughing:

So why is it still posting? :ponder:

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]Hi,

Has anyone else experienced health problems caused by working in a Buxiban? (…) [/quote]

I have little advice to offer here, but I just wanted to let you know you’re not alone. I’ve been working at a similar “proper buxiban” and though I haven’t had health problems from it, it’s definitely incredibly stressful and frequently impractical. Things have gotten much better since the first 2-3 months but it was a bit of a nightmare in the beginning.

Keep busy, get out on the weekend, get your mind off it… and hang in there. You’ll get through this.