🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

That is the scaffolding but I thought it had been removed. At least I haven’t noticed it anymore when going past.

Are those aluminum foil sheet metals on top?

1 Like

Titanium! 20K NT$ a pop. (tile)

1 Like

Yes.

Nice. We’re exporting our year-round baseball weather.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rakuten (new Japanese owners of Monkeys) live press conference and team name / uniform reveal

Can somebody please explain to me what Ko Wen-je is up to here?

Guy

From up on a height you can really appreciate how ugly this thing is.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a blast from the 1970s… Back when monstrosities such as the Kingdome was still in fashion.

1 Like

Time to redo SYS too. Far too much concrete…

4 Likes

According to this article and Taipei City Councillors Lin Liang-jun (林亮君), Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培), and Miao Po-ya (苗博雅), there are plenty of violations still not fixed and regulations unmet, when the city government granted FarGlory with a design alteration permit.

Currently the Taipei Dome still hasn’t met article 97 and 127 of Building Technical Regulations. Deviations in emergency escape routes and seating designs are still unresolved.

Back in 2018, the Taipei city government specified that these regulations must be met before issuing a permit.

3 Likes

How is that different from any other dome?

2 Likes

Read the thread!

Roughly from memory:

1. The original design was severely modified to be much larger and closer to the main streets (Zhongxiao East Road, and Guangfu South Road)—effectively making emergency evacuation impossible;

2. It hulks over a national symbol and monument—Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, pictured in the foreground—something that the original architect from Japan carefully avoided;

3. The jackass developers cut down a bunch of old trees along Guangfu South Road, removing much-needed shade and angering arboreal activists;

4. They still have not addressed safety violations brought about by their unlawful modification of the design.

You’re welcome.

Guy

13 Likes

They cut the capacity from 90000 (same as Wembley) to 60000.

I guess that means 60,000 can get out safely and I don’t know.

90000 would make it one of or the largest covered arenas in the world. WTF.

Those numbers just don’t make sense. Doesn’t seem that big and it’s covered.

1 Like

I was wondering about that, they had the remaining trees cordoned off and locked up with official notices plastered all over the walls

arborial activists

lol

Why would people not be able to flood out safely into the wide major arteries and other spaces around the stadium?

At some point…would it just be easier and more cost efficient to just blow it up and build it from scratch?

3 Likes

Spelling corrected—thanks! : D

Guy

Very limited space outside it, difficult to 'flood out ’ to anywhere.

4 Likes

You would be flooding out into traffic. The only space is on the road.

6 Likes

and in case of an emergency, you need the roads to stay clear for the emergency vehicles

6 Likes