🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

Not true. Baseball is doing just fine in the U.S.

forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/ 
 be-stupid/[/quote]

Superbowl just hit a 50 rating, baseball is lucky to get anything approaching 10 and has been declining rapidly the past 3 decades. Once upon a time a 30 rating was not unheard of for them. Build a water park what is this baseball shit.

Wasting that much money on a stadium
is criminal in a country like Taiwan with many people living on basically nothing, makes me sick that they take tax revenue from poor workers and give it to big business in the richest city.
Poor people here can’t even get health insurance if they can’t pay for it.

be-stupid/[/quote]

Superbowl just hit a 50 rating, baseball is lucky to get anything approaching 10 and has been declining rapidly the past 3 decades. Once upon a time a 30 rating was not unheard of for them. Build a water park what is this baseball shit.[/quote]

If you use the wrong metrics you can make an argument for or against just about anything. Baseball revenues (pays for the stadium) are skyrocketing despite lower TV ratings.

Attendance would be a better measure than TV ratings.

I would consider 70% stadium capacity to be doing extremely well. It’s not like football but that’s filling up stadiums 7 days/wk for 6 months instead on once on Sunday for 4 months. Football is no doubt America’s #1 sport but that isn’t a particularly useful metric to use for baseball popularity tanking.

The problem is not baseball. The problem is CPBL. I’ve been a fan since the 2nd year they started playing.

CPBL has to go. Disband.

I want NPB (npb.or.jp) to expand into Taiwan. That’s right, I want the entire NPB system. Have Taiwan form two teams to join each league (Centre & Pacific). It’s only a 3-hr flight. Considering that Canada has only 1 team in NBA and 1 team in MLB, this is not a bad idea.

be-stupid/[/quote]

Superbowl just hit a 50 rating, baseball is lucky to get anything approaching 10 and has been declining rapidly the past 3 decades. Once upon a time a 30 rating was not unheard of for them. Build a water park what is this baseball shit.[/quote]

You didn’t read the article, did you? You can’t judge baseball’s popularity on the TV ratings. Football has 16 games a year and a short single-elimination playoff system. Baseball teams play 162 games. With the playoff series, a baseball team can play nearly 200 games a year. Profits are continuously rising for baseball teams. Attendance is stable and FAR higher than any other sport (due largely to the number of games).

Okay. YOU don’t like baseball
but it’s a very popular sport here and is gaining popularity throughout Asia. When the significant international tournaments take place, this island is abuzz with news of the games. Taiwan definitely deserves and will make use of a worthy international baseball venue.

The problem is not baseball. The problem is CPBL. I’ve been a fan since the 2nd year they started playing.

CPBL has to go. Disband.

I want NPB (npb.or.jp) to expand into Taiwan. That’s right, I want the entire NPB system. Have Taiwan form two teams to join each league (Centre & Pacific). It’s only a 3-hr flight. Considering that Canada has only 1 team in NBA and 1 team in MLB, this is not a bad idea.[/quote]

This would be awesome. I wouldn’t build the Taipei Dome to do it though until there was a commitment from the the NPB to do it though. Somehow I highly doubt that NPB would consider it but I don’t follow it closely.

[quote=“Abacus”]
This would be awesome. I wouldn’t build the Taipei Dome to do it though until there was a commitment from the the NPB to do it though. Somehow I highly doubt that NPB would consider it but I don’t follow it closely.[/quote]

NPB would not consider it. It’s as futile as the decision makers in CPBL keeps dreaming about “opening up the Chinese market”. I guess at least in the latter case, the ball is in Taiwan’s hands, somewhat. Japan is barely interested enough to keep Asia Series going. Japan is more xenophobic and leans towards protectionism than Taiwan in most aspects. Just look at Kano’s word of mouth popularity in Japan, and still it is only screened in 62 theaters across Japan.

Only having 1 team in the NPB is also terrible for Taiwan’s baseball community. There are 2 ways where this could go:

1. Taiwanese players considered as Japanese players in NPB:
    The most unlikely situation. On the surface it would appear this opens up a chance to play in any team in Japan for capable Taiwanese players, however, due to the nature of Japan’s protectionism, this is the worse that could happen. Only a handful of Taiwanese players would actually be in the roster of various teams across Japan. Even the team in Taiwan would be consisted of mostly Japanese and American players.

2. The team in Taiwan receives special treatment and is not limited by how many Taiwanese players they can have:
    Even in this situation, less than 25 Taiwanese players could play in the first team, some spots must be allocated to American players to remain competitive in NPB. Another 25 or so Taiwanese players would fill out the second team. That’s a drastic reduction in the amount of players that could play professionally compares to CPBL.

In both cases, or a mixture of the 2, less Taiwanese baseball players would be able to play professionally, reducing parents willingness of allowing their kid to play baseball.

they should take up quidditch instead.

They are certain to bang their heads on the roof right on takeoff.

that’s probably the most painless thing that could happen during a quidditch match

be-stupid/[/quote]

You didn’t read the article, did you? You can’t judge baseball’s popularity on the TV ratings. Football has 16 games a year and a short single-elimination playoff system. Baseball teams play 162 games. With the playoff series, a baseball team can play nearly 200 games a year. Profits are continuously rising for baseball teams. Attendance is stable and FAR higher than any other sport (due largely to the number of games.[/quote]

The article just seemed to be making excuses and using deception. The counterargument against you would be, you take the top 16 baseball games on tv and you compare them to the top 16 games of the nfl. Theres still no comparison. Also water park will make much more profit. They always are in hot humid countries, and it would cost 1/10th, and tourism would boom even more. So tell me WHAT IS THIS BASEBALL SHIT?? Noone in taipei cares, noone will go to watch this stuff, I won’t go even once and I love playing baseball.

[quote=“triceratopses”]
The article just seemed to be making excuses and using deception. The counterargument against you would be, you take the top 16 baseball games on tv and you compare them to the top 16 games of the nfl. Theres still no comparison. Also water park will make much more profit. They always are in hot humid countries, and it would cost 1/10th, and tourism would boom even more. So tell me WHAT IS THIS BASEBALL SHIT?? Noone in taipei cares, noone will go to watch this stuff, I won’t go even once and I love playing baseball.[/quote]

So you are going to ignore attendance and revenue numbers and instead focus on mostly meaningless stats? Football is definitely #1 but baseball is as popular as ever based on revenues and attendance data. Their TV contracts are also skyrocketing in value so somebody is very happy with their ratings regardless of how much better football ratings are.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Abacus”]
This would be awesome. I wouldn’t build the Taipei Dome to do it though until there was a commitment from the the NPB to do it though. Somehow I highly doubt that NPB would consider it but I don’t follow it closely.[/quote]

NPB would not consider it. It’s as futile as the decision makers in CPBL keeps dreaming about “opening up the Chinese market”. I guess at least in the latter case, the ball is in Taiwan’s hands, somewhat. Japan is barely interested enough to keep Asia Series going. Japan is more xenophobic and leans towards protectionism than Taiwan in most aspects. Just look at Kano’s word of mouth popularity in Japan, and still it is only screened in 62 theaters across Japan.

Only having 1 team in the NPB is also terrible for Taiwan’s baseball community. There are 2 ways where this could go:

The most unlikely situation. On the surface it would appear this opens up a chance to play in any team in Japan for capable Taiwanese players, however, due to the nature of Japan’s protectionism, this is the worse that could happen. Only a handful of Taiwanese players would actually be in the roaster of various teams across Japan. Even the team in Taiwan would be consisted of mostly Japanese and American players.

2. The team in Taiwan receives special treatment and is not limited by how many Taiwanese players they can have:
    Even in this situation, less than 25 Taiwanese players could play in the first team, some spots must be allocated to American players to remain competitive in NPB. Another 25 or so Taiwanese players would fill out the second team. That’s a drastic reduction in the amount of players that could play professionally compares to CPBL.

In both cases, or a mixture of the 2, less Taiwanese baseball players would be able to play professionally, reducing parents willingness of allowing their kid to play baseball.[/quote]
Prior to 2011 Japan deliberately kept a distance from Taiwan and vice versa too. Times have changed. I won’t go into detail.

NPB actually WOULD be very interested in expanding into Taiwan. That’s 20 million baseball fans added to 127 million. New cities and new teams mean new rivalry and excitement.

There will be plenty of positions in an expanded NPB (major and minor) for quality athletes to vie for. Not to mention many players go to the States, creating space to be filled too.

Better to have two very good, profitable, well-paying teams (and their minor league teams) playing in a top league, than to have four mediocre teams in a poorly managed CPBL. Actually there’d be more opportunities to make it big even if they just stay in the minors to hone their skills or to recuperate from injuries.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Abacus”]

The most unlikely situation. On the surface it would appear this opens up a chance to play in any team in Japan for capable Taiwanese players, however, due to the nature of Japan’s protectionism, this is the worse that could happen. Only a handful of Taiwanese players would actually be in the roaster of various teams across Japan. Even the team in Taiwan would be consisted of mostly Japanese and American players.

In both cases, or a mixture of the 2, less Taiwanese baseball players would be able to play professionally, reducing parents willingness of allowing their kid to play baseball.[/quote]

Exactly. A NPB team in Taiwan wouldn’t be a team of Taiwanese players. It’s not like you could have the Taiwan national team playing against the NPB pro teams. If an NPB team were to exist in Taiwan, that would just mean that Taiwan gets a NPB franchise, and would make the Taiwan pro players available on the NPB market. Language would be an issue. It would be hard to get the Japanese pro-players to sign with the Taiwan club. It’s completely unworkable.

be-stupid/[/quote]

You didn’t read the article, did you? You can’t judge baseball’s popularity on the TV ratings. Football has 16 games a year and a short single-elimination playoff system. Baseball teams play 162 games. With the playoff series, a baseball team can play nearly 200 games a year. Profits are continuously rising for baseball teams. Attendance is stable and FAR higher than any other sport (due largely to the number of games.[/quote]

The article just seemed to be making excuses and using deception. The counterargument against you would be, you take the top 16 baseball games on tv and you compare them to the top 16 games of the nfl. Theres still no comparison. Also water park will make much more profit. They always are in hot humid countries, and it would cost 1/10th, and tourism would boom even more. So tell me WHAT IS THIS BASEBALL SHIT?? Noone in taipei cares, noone will go to watch this stuff, I won’t go even once and I love playing baseball.[/quote]

Top 16 games vs. the football season? You aren’t serious, are you?

Taiwan has water parks. Come to Mala Bay in Houli. And since when do governments contract water parks?

[quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Abacus”]

Exactly. A NPB team in Taiwan wouldn’t be a team of Taiwanese players. It’s not like you could have the Taiwan national team playing against the NPB pro teams. If an NPB team were to exist in Taiwan, that would just mean that Taiwan gets a NPB franchise, and would make the Taiwan pro players available on the NPB market. Language would be an issue. It would be hard to get the Japanese pro-players to sign with the Taiwan club. It’s completely unworkable.[/quote]

Why would language be an issue? Just have interepreters like every big sports team in the world. Manchester City has more Spanish speakers than English.

Well
maybe it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but I still think one or two Taiwan-based NPB teams is a complete impossibility.

From former Taiwan National team ace Lin Ying-jie:

[quote]ă€Œæˆ‘ć‰›ć‘æš‚ć€©é·čć ±ćˆ°æ™‚ïŒŒäžçŸ„é“æ˜„èš“èŠćšä»€éșŒäș‹ïŒŒćˆäžæ‡‚æ—„æ–‡ïŒŒä»–ć€‘éƒœäžç†æˆ‘ïŒŒćŸžä»–ć€‘( æ—„æœŹéšŠć‹)è«‡è©±çš„èĄšæƒ…ïŒŒæˆ‘çŸ„é“ä»–ć€‘ćœšć˜ČçŹ‘æˆ‘ïŒŒæƒłçœ‹æˆ‘é€™ć€‹ć€–ćœ‹çƒć“Ąçš„çŹ‘è©±ă€‚ă€

When I first joined the Golden Eagles’ spring training, I didn’t speak any Japanese, and didn’t know how their spring training works. None of the Japanese players would talk to me or show me the ropes. From their expressions I knew they were mocking me, wanting to see me make a fool of myself as a foreigner.[/quote]

Sadaharu Oh was frequently discriminated against in his days, Warren Cromartie described same examples of it in his book.

There are more, but usually reporters rarely go deeper than mentioning the players experienced discrimination. However, even Chen Wei-ying experienced discrimination. The upper management probably have little issues with Taiwanese players, that’s why Taiwanese players are in Japan in the first place, but some teammates maybe hostile to Taiwanese players. It would be worse if all Taiwanese players suddenly are now considered as Japanese players.

[quote=“Taiwanguy”]

Taiwan has water parks. Come to Mala Bay in Houli. And since when do governments contract water parks?[/quote]

Taiwan used to have a truck load of water parks, most of them failed.

by the way, from personal experiences, water parks are much more enjoyable in dry heat. it is not fun standing in a long line under the sun on a hot humid day waiting to get on the best rides wearing damp swimming trunks. no fun at all.