The Jordan Peterson Thread

I think we all need to watch more Jordan Peterson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T47opnLyFw

The case against equity. Pretty interesting read as I am now undergoing a kind of equity training in my school district, and have challenged the ideology directly as being conformative and premised upon revelation while brushing aside any real attempt to gather evidence.

3 Likes

Good luck, man…and stay safe! This is a dangerous fight, but one worth fighting.

2 Likes

Oh it’s great fun…not. All admin, principals and assistant principals, home school coordinators, support staff, teachers. Free flowing kool-aid. I had a ten minute back and forth with one department head about the whole “This is an ideology and ‘White privilege’ is a rhetorical trap and EYE’M not falling for it…” That kind of thing. I ended by telling the group it must really be a safe space to speak your truth because that guy is my boss and he hired me. :whistle:

1 Like

Good video with Jordan Peterson and Milo Yiannopoulos. Most people already know Milo is kind of persona non grata these days, the interesting question is “why”. Some might reply “because he’s a cunt”. I think such an answer would only satisfy the least curious of minds. I think anyone at all curious knows this is a far from complete answer. “Why” as a question is very difficult to answer, the deeper you go into “why” the more interesting a thing becomes.

Quick breakdown
0 to 15min introductions
@ 15 min triggering event that lead to Milo being shunned
@ 30 min Media response
@ 55min Who was responsible for taking him out
@ 1 hour how they took him out
@ 1h15 Catholic church
@ 1h35 Social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHpvI8oGsuQ

edit, seems clicking on play here won’t play, but click on the watch on you tube, will play the video.

2 Likes

Would like to knock a couple of these back with JP

Would JP not choke on the content ? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’d guess most normal joe sixpack on the street has never actually been involved in THE conversation, like irl, via work, city council meeting or a random run in. When that starts happening more frequently, the backlash should be swift.

Hence my 11/20 comment in the other thread as to when the Left will get sick on its own medicine. The Right should just tweet out random small town political jaw droppery.

1 Like

So I finally listened to the whole thing, and I’m glad I did. Some very interesting factoids (eg., about the press and the Catholic Church) that I didn’t know, and some observations worth thinking about.

What particularly struck me is that Milo pretty much ran the conversation - not by being overbearing, but simply by being more interesting. JP was definitely not on top form there. His insistence on prodding Milo with the question “what do you think that experience did to you?” was disingenuous on multiple levels: one, because he himself had quoted a paper which suggested the answer is “not much”; two, because Milo had already pointed out the philosophical/logical problem with figuring out what would have happened if event X had not occurred; and three, because Milo had already answered the question. at least twice,
to the best of his ability (“I don’t know”). Milo stayed remarkably polite where others might have lost patience.

I was also struck by the difference between Milo’s stage persona - which I find unlikable - and the much more intelligent and lucid discourse that he displays here. He comes across as a very, very smart guy. I particularly enjoyed his musings on the fundamentally unresolveable dichotomies that life often presents us with: sometimes there are no right answers. Again, JP pushes him on this point when, ironically, it’s a topic that JP himself often talks about. So not sure what was going on there.

I reckon Milo has an overoptimistic view of his future prospects as a humorist - he’s personable, but I just don’t think he’s particularly funny. I suppose he might find a niche audience, but I can’t see him being a cult figure on the comedy circuit.

1 Like

In my opinion both JP and Milo wear a mask in public and for most of the people they will encounter on a daily basis. The stark contrast between Milo’s “stage persona” as you call it and what you see in the interview, is of course extremely pronounced. I think he can be mildly offensive at times, my curiosity in him was the visceral reaction at Universities, it was like root canal treatment was being performed and he just hit the nerve of all nerves.

JP’s mask is his clinical psychology, intellectual world, universities and academia, Milo touched on that near the end and to be frank even though Milo only commented back on JP at the very end, in terms of illumination, it might have been more illuminating for JP than Milo, and that was with JP with his mask on the whole time, and Milo with it off.

Milo does seem to have a talent for pushing people’s buttons … including JP’s. I think he was spot-on about JP’s engagement with the ‘prestige economy’, and I’m surprised JP took the observation with equanimity.

1 Like

Because he never let his mask drop, he was in clinical psychology mask, protects from all incoming. But I suspect he may mull that over at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwaixIuTrU

2 Likes

Wow. I knew he was in rehab, but I didn’t know exactly why. That’s a pretty rough patch to have to go through. :open_mouth:

1 Like

He did good going into a medical facility for benzo withdrawals, you can die from seizures going cold turkey. They need to taper it off. When I interned at a drug rehab, they always taper it off slowly in maybe 3-7 days. withdrawals are hell from it if you can get 2 weeks clean. First 2 weeks are hell.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/lqnB_L3YHvE?t=21

Because he’s an anti-Semitic neo-Nazi who supports kiddy-diddling?

1 Like

A gay neo Nazi who only dates black men?

:nsfw:

A half Jewish gay married to a black guy who doesn’t support kiddy-diddling but shared a story relating to his abuse as a kid.

Time to wonder if your sources are really representing the truth.

2 Likes