The Jordan Peterson Thread

I mean, I get that legal reports are long, c’mon. My point was that their handling of the case was poor–it should have been dismissed.

1 Like

This Mr Smith vs Ms Smith thing couldn’t but remind me of this:

To me this represents to some degree what is going on. Regretfully.

1 Like

Any chance we can remove these ramblings on Canadian law and alien abductions to another thread that isn’t supposed to be about Peterson and his ideas?

It’s all related, I think.

Thrown out the minute the file got to the desk. The first complaint was about refusal to wax his/her balls just to remind everyone how ridiculous it was.

I know yyy called it a failed attempt to use the law. But tying people up for months and years with legal fees and uncertainty is a form of screwing people. Which was clearly the original intent.

1 Like

There’s a real cost to that. Sometimes the law has to go through these things in its own way, but I don’t get that one.

1 Like

I think the farther it gets from JP’s signature issue (the pronoun wars), the more suited it is to one of the zillion other threads we have about this stuff than this thread. :cactus:

If you’d like to do a split, go for it! I’m not really sure there’s a call for in-depth discussion of JP’s thoughts, specifically. But, I may be wrong, or at least @mithrandir thinks so.

We have this thread, Canadian civil rights law and related issues which seems to be more relevant for many of the last hundred posts or so.

I just mean, I don’t think this thread needs to serve as a dumping ground for rants about cancel culture or “aren’t transwomen funny when they’re angry?” videos (@mad_masala), except for rants specifically about JP getting canceled or transwomen getting angry at JP.

The fact that we’ve wasted so much interweb breath on Jessica Yaniv is sad, but the point of that was human rights tribunals in Canada, so it’s arguably relevant.

2 Likes

But the video illustrates so well the current situation: angry minorities who are louder than anyone else are taking advantage (when not just plainly abusing) of people’s respect and empathy for mostly in the past oppressed minorities for impossing on the rest of humanity their vision on things which is… Not really matching other people’s perception of reality.

And this is in essence part of what JP is denouncing.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is still coming back to the main point of “Did JP have a point or not at all”, I guess. But I agree with you about more tangent-ish stuff.

If only there was a thread on topic to that…

A quick search for “human rights tribunals” reveals they have come up in the Slippery Slope™ thread – surprise, surprise. :sleeping: Plus a few other threads.

Rather than snark, we could just put these posts in the relevant thread that the other posts in this thread were placed.

I originally wasn’t sure with JP whether he was too clever for me to understand, or if he was spouting a lot of nonsense. I lean towards the latter, now.

I think he’s a delusional chancer.

5 Likes

this is exactly the point.

am i allowed to the the rule you guys try in IP and tell you how you’re not allowed to talk about Canadian laws because you don’t have a passport? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

the obsession with that story was not normal

Isn’t this a good reason to be careful with what they are based on, and how they are written?

I think it has already been mentioned above, probably more than once, that this argument can work both ways: if the progressive left (or however we want to homogenize the anti-JP crowd) hadn’t responded to JP in the way that they did, it wouldn’t have blown up quite the same. I remember three things that happened right after the videos that to me validated his stand on this specific issue: the TVO ‘debate’ with Nicholas Matte (shout out my Ontario peeps), the letter from UofT’s legal department saying he should stop what he was doing, and the ‘free speech’ rally he attended at UofT. All of this happened at what I would consider a peak woke time that served to bolster the attention (a few years earlier or later wouldn’t have been the same).

For the record, trans people don’t freak me out. I consider myself progressive, but also think that over-wokeness is counterproductive. I took interest in the JP story because I was a doctoral student at a Canadian university when this happened. In academe (especially North America, and humanities/social sciences) these topics are not just trendy, they are the expected discourse and attitude. That these things are not really up for discussion in universities is, to me, unacceptable. This is some of my motivation for being interested in this topic, which has evolved more along the lines of more interesting thinkers like Stephen Fry (heehee!) and Jonathan Haidt.

You may be here devoting attention to this trendy topic because gender identity freaks you out. That is fine (sucks for you if it is the case, which I kinda doubt anyways). I’m here because this is one of the more interesting threads in my opinion (some of the viewpoints, sources, and writing styles on the other threads are beyond my interest).

Are there other reasons why this could have received a lot of attention? Probably, I’m not going to sit here thinking of hypotheticals for a point that I think is sufficiently proven.

3 Likes