The joys of Windows update

Yesterday I got home around 8.30pm. In this period all volleyball matches are played abroad and they are just qualifier matches, so the league isn’t sending me there. Since I managed to catch up with all the photos I decided to take this time before the international championships starting in July/August to clean up my PC, delete some photos and maybe edit a few more of the hundreds that were not my first choices.

I turned on my pc:“Windows is installing some trash, come back later, you scum”…ok, I guess I’ll have a shower. I go back to my studio: 51% done. Fuck me…well, I wait a bit more on the bed and when I check the monitor everything is done, yay. I open my photo editor and notice that no photos show up in the preview…odd, since just last night I had some work to edit…well, no worries, file -> open ->…my hard disks are not in the list of drives.

Jesus appeared in front of me and asked me to forgive him. I told him:“Ok, but help me out a bit here…”

My first thought was that the system needed an extra restart to be back to its former glory, so I restart it: nope, my 3 hard drives that I use for storage (6TB) are missing, the only available drives are the ssd where Windows is installed and an old 1tb drive that I use to legally download legal backup copies of legally owned movies and music.

I check online, people are having issues with Intel and Toshiba SSDs after the update. My C: is an Intel ssd, fuck me…but no one is having the same problem as me, so before going downstairs and committing seppuku I decide to see if it’s something that I can fix or bypass by myself.

My motherboard’s bios shows no problem, all the drives are there. Just for safety I decided to update the hd controller but it made no difference, for Windows there were no disks to be found.

I noticed that along with my storage hard drives even my second ssd was missing: that’s my backup ssd, a WD drive of the same size at the Intel where I keep a clone image of the main hard drive. I open the tower, unplug the Intel ssd and go back to bios, setting the WD disk as boot disk. Windows starts and the older version shows all my drives properly. I recover from the heart attack and I immediately turn off Windows updates. Whatever happened, it’s not an hardware issue of the hard disks, so all my photos are safe and sound. Windows 10 April update was the equivalent of ebola for my Intel ssd.

After that, all software worked just as expected and the only lost data where a few pics I downloaded from 4chan during the few days from the last time I cloned my main ssd.

Now I can only wonder: what will happen when I get home tonight? Has anyone else felt the joy of the April update?

Will he ever recover?

After update, you could not see the partitions in Disk Management?

Nope, that was the odd thing! My bios showed me all disks correctly, ma the disk management was missing 4 drives (1 ssd + 3 hdd) and it would not detect them at all. I even started my cloning software (can’t remember the name) and it wouldn’t show me those drives.

Yes, they were recent Doom Paul images from the Kilauea thread, easy to find.

Weird as.

After the April Update my computer assigned a drive letter to the system reserved partition on my main Intel SSD. I didn’t think too much about it at the time and just unassigned it (as I kept getting the low disk space notification for said partition), but now that you’ve posted this, it’s probably the April Update :).

Have you tried switching it on and off again ? :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:regards , control , alt, delete xx

1 Like

Windows10 does not fully reboot.
It keeps a lot of settings in a ramdisk.
That’s why linux can’t see all the windows mounted disks, if fast boot is enabled, which is the default.
go to settings and disable this under boot options.

My guess, Something important was updated, and it sees the partitions as reserved for another OS