The K-man's finest hour(s)

What a pack of degenerates!

“Taiwanese netizens are lining up to grab themselves a piece of the putrid pastry.”

Not bad, not bad at all Mr K.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m sure you guys didn’t notice it but as a Taiwanese I’m not an English native speaker… is this grammatically correct?

“Taiwanese netizens delighted by durian cake a customer complained was too stinky”

Shouldn’t it be “Taiwanese netizens delighted by a durian cake a customer complained was too stinky”?

Probably more like:

Taiwanese netizens delighted by a customer complaining that a durian cake was too stinky

Ayways, yeah, their grammar is fucked.

I also considered that, but I thought that he might want to highlight people’s supportive reaction; In response to the barbarian complaints about the cake, Taiwanese would say “Oh, I love this cake and the foreigner is an idiot”. Maybe not in that order.

Apparently his first draft referred to the durian cake as a “rotting entity” but the powers that be asked him to tone it down a bit.

1 Like

Or like Shakespeare says Something is rotten in the state of (insert your favorite place)

This abbreviated style, with dropped articles and “be” verbs is typical in headlines, and correct in that context. “Man attacked by rabid macaque”

3 Likes

Yes and no, because he does use another “a” later: “a customer complained”

Yes. The phrase in question appears in the sub-title. Note the dropped “be” verb as well, where “Taiwanese nezitens are delighted…” would be expected.

I know. Still it’s weird that he uses it in one case and not another.

Oh I see what you’re saying. Most people wouldn’t drop that “a” I think. It’s part of an adjective clause modifying “durian cake”, and if we analyzed it I’m sure we’d find that that’s the reason. That goes for the “was” in there as well

1 Like

Isn’t the issue whether said cake is in the singular or did Mr Baker produce a plurality of said putrid pastries?

No, I was wrong, I thought it was about “netizens” (boy I’m really starting to hate that fucking word) liking the story, but it is, in fact, about them getting excited about the stinky-assed cake itself.
So technically the grammar is OK, but it’s still crappily written, hence everyone’s confusion.

As long as the comments are accurately translated, it doesn’t matter.

The comments are translated with google translator. Or maybe the way people express themselves in Chinese is just too different from the rest of the language of this and other planets.

“Excuse me Mister Owner, can I order a cake from you?”

Anyone having a problem with that has been eating too many durian cakes.

Nothing special about K-man, but it’s interesting to see that he’s always on the front line in this cases. We can rely on him!

Also: goddammit all these fucknuts who try to get a free plane ticket by acting like subhuman trash. Between this guy, the one who “happens to sexually harass women because he has a condition that forces him to stretch his arms”, and then (Iranian?) guy who kept bashing people on the road each time he was released…just leave them in jail then drop them on Small Lanyu days before a typhoon, ffs.

It’s weird how they’ve started routinely blanking out their faces. That never used to be the case.

It’s a bit of a fail in this instance as at the bottom of the story is a picture which shows the guy’s face.

Jesus, that’s a bonkers story. He needs to be locked up for everyone’s sake but sounds like he’s in the grips of a serious mental breakdown. Either that or he’s the saddest sexpat ever.