The K-man's finest hour(s)

Google 1天100塊 and you’ll soon realize that this is pretty old news.

From a foreigner’s perspective? In the middle of all the bad press, it is a welcomed change.

1 Like

Like 15 years ago Ian Lamont did a whole page feature in China Post (?), it wasn’t just eating on NT$100, he did a thing about how to spend a whole day, like places to hang out and get free water and stuff. The part I remember most was him sticking 2 tea eggs in a hot dog bun at 7-11 for breakfast…it cost (then) around NT$15, with free condiments!!!

When I got here, 100 NTD was my daily budget for food, but I bought drinks and tea at the supermarket by the dozen, much cheaper than any convenient store. 15ntd sandwiches were available on the street stalls, 40 to 50 ntd bientang with meat and veggies, and for dinner 25 ntd would get you a bag of meat buns, or a bowl of noodles with some slices of duck or whatever. We all filled our bottles of water at school, or bought the gallons at the 10 ntd machines.

Locals now have a very tight existence. Higher prices, bigger responsibilities. One thing is a tourist or a student doing this for a while, other really living that life. The piles of pao mien are not for love of the stuff.

I used to live off of Super Supau in the summers. I remember in the convenience stores used to be 19NT. Then it hit 23NT and not too long after that it went up to 25NT.

That’s my only gauge.

An all liquid diet…respect.

I’m concerned about my lunch budget; it’s gone skyrocket these last years. that’s why every now and then I go to Carrefour and customize some crappy meal with chicken legs and rice/noodles/veggies/pizza. I guess I should just cook more at home.

I used to go a long way on a bag of wuxiang peanuts and a donggua cha

[quote=“Icon, post:345, topic:167831, full:true”]
When I got here, 100 NTD was my daily budget for food[/quote]

Yes, but when you got here, the New Taiwan Dollar was actually new.:wink:

2 Likes

Taiwan English News is like the New York Times of Taiwan: It is not being ripped-off by the other media: it is just exerting a less than subtle influence on them.

You nasty, man!

FG%20burn

hashtag%20burn

1 Like

OK, so this is posted as “news” but its a report of a report in a Facebook group. I don’t understand how this is news without some attempt at independent verification or even editorial comment. “Netizens outraged by sad expression on face of Ughur woman…”

2 Likes

News about a news report.

That’s quite original.

I’ve noticed that’s where the K-man gets all his news from. Almost every “article” mentions getting the scoop from a Facebook page called “Breaking News Commune (爆料公社)”.

They must have read about “cultural enrichment” but it seems as if they didn’t get the memo on how to apply it!

That is where local news outlets and TV stations get their news from.

I swear, one more article mentioning “outraged netizens” and I’m a gonna blow.

3 Likes

Journalization at its finest.

Would you say you’d be outraged? On the net, as it were? Thanks, there may be a story in that!

2 Likes

It’d be pretty meta if K-man did an article on outraged Netizen “the bear” and his outrage at K-man’s outrageous journalistic practices.

4 Likes