The Korean Barbecue chef spits a gob while serving

5th year in Taiwan coming up now and I thought I was settling in. Just thinking today that the traffic is not so chaotic and its becoming more comfortable to live here. Great weather right now helps.

My SO and I ventured up to Hsinchu Windance, 4th Floor Korean barbecue. The sort where you have little barbecues for each person and you fiddle with your food and eat as it cooks. The chef guy stands in the circle and adds water or food.

This was all going very nicely when he suddenly decided to gather some flem and spit it out 2 places down from me.

I told him it was not okay and left immediately. I had to come back because my SO was not put off her food at all. Turns out I made no sort of scene or impression because he just went about his business as usual.

What do you do? Perhaps this is normal and I’ve just been missing it up until now.

May be it was on the menu

“Mystery Gristle with Chef Phlegm a la Pyonyang”

I would have added a bit of spew :astonished:

You were lucky … others might spit in the pot :laughing:

Anyways … I had another disturbing run in at the Windance … on the 7th floor is a Japanese buffet, and one of the cooks or what ever he does there was using the restroom, he comes out goes to the sink and looks in the mirror, takes his hands through his hair and walks out, didn’t even bother to wash his hands and went back to work … :noway:

[quote=“belgian pie”]You were lucky … others might spit in the pot :laughing:

Anyways … I had another disturbing run in at the Windance … on the 7th floor is a Japanese buffet, and one of the cooks or what ever he does there was using the restroom, he comes out goes to the sink and looks in the mirror, takes his hands through his hair and walks out, didn’t even bother to wash his hands and went back to work … :noway:[/quote]

I see this all of the time in restaurant bathrooms. Chef takes a big dump, checks his look in the mirror, and walks back into the kitchen. No hand washing. If I’ve got my antibacterial wipes with me and I’m quick on the draw, I will hand him one.

Ohhhh Yeahhhhhh! Gotta love it.

[quote=“Tomas”]. If I’ve got my antibacterial wipes with me and I’m quick on the draw, I will hand him one.

Ohhhh Yeahhhhhh! Gotta love it.[/quote]

You have to admit, its a little better since the SARS thing. Like, wash your hands or die concerns converted a few people to hand washing.

I like the idea of the quick draw wipes. :slight_smile: They probably don’t get it though.

I don’t eat there anymore. Many restaurants in there are filthy and unmaintained cause I think most of the people just work part time there. I had two times huo guo in the restaurant just next to the rolling staircases (named Hongkong?). First time a little roach walked over the table (ok, that can happen right?). Second time I noticed that the waiters hair are all too long and the protective hats are just for decoration. One guy even looked a bit like a dog (couldn’t see his eyes). They are so lucky I don’t speak mandarin. I’d be complaining all time. If you want a good korean bbq drive to Jubei or the JinShan Road area between the Royal Hotel and the Science Park in the east of the city. I always considered Food Courts more hygienic than the usual taiwanese restaurant but if I see Windance I don’t want to go to Food Courts anymore. Be picky about restaurants, and check out the looks of the staff before you order. There are so many amateurs here. Or better, buy your own food and cook it at home if you can.

For fun:

My boss: So you cook at home now?
Me: Yeah, I prefer not overcooked seasonal vegetables,fresh meat.
My boss: But its much more expensive!
Me: I cook western food.
My boss: Oh, so its cheaper.

Quality has its price.

Hot dogs and clam chowder.

A seafood restaurant where my friends and I often have drinks (I don’t eat there…) has one or two massive rats that regularly scuttle across the restaurant floor. The chefs also chew betel nut whilst cooking, dripping red juice everywhere, and also pick their noses whilst preparing food. I’m sure it’s the same in a lot of places, which is why I prefer to cook at home…

We cook western food at home a lot. Costco and Tesco trips to stock up. But, I get cabin fever on a Sunday and have to escape. A Taipei escape to Carnegies is the best option usually. Excellent food.

I did notice that Jusco in Hsinchu have quite a good range of fresh food. We also stocked up there.

Thanks for the reminder of just how bad those restaurants are. I ate at the steak house a couple months back and will never go back. Outside of Jusco the whole windance is a complete flop. Can’t believe that they were allowed to build such a monstrosity when most of the space is unoccupied.

There are decent restaurants in the neighbourhood. The steak house at the lakeshore hotel is nice and has parking.