The Last Scottish Hunt

Hunting with hounds finally outlawed in Scotland. Any views on this

I think they might have explored other options than banning it completely, after all it is part of the cultural fabric in the countryside, although mostly for rich folks and gentry.

1 Like

I’m actually kind of worried for the foxes they will probably get gassed now. I like the cultural part of it, though not the killing a wild animal part. I think it’s a difficult one to solve.

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that it’s more egalitarian in Ireland? People from all classes join in. Possibly why it’s not getting banned there.

1 Like

Well even in England there are the “Walkers” and "Terrier men who are working class. "You Walker “open the gate.”
I’ll let Brian answer the Irish question, there was a huge amount of hunting in Ireland, not sure now , but up until ten years ago there was.

3 Likes

also the stable hands, blacksmiths, gamekeepers, rangers, saddlers and various other people who are involved in some aspect. I think it was the burns report that outlined 1000’s of jobs that were linked to hunting in some way.

Edit: Burns Inquiry, not report.

As well as the economic defence of fox hunting that it is necessary to control the population of foxes, lest they cause economic cost to the farmers, it is also argued that fox hunting is a significant economic activity in its own right, providing recreation and jobs for those involved in the hunt and supporting it. The Burns Inquiry identified that between 6,000 and 8,000 full-time jobs depend on hunting in the UK, of which about 700 result from direct hunt employment and 1,500 to 3,000 result from direct employment on hunting-related activities.[1]

Since the ban in the UK, there has been no evidence of significant job losses, and hunts have continued to operate along limited lines, either trail hunting, or claiming to use exemptions in the legislation.[119]

1 Like

Clean boot hunting would be a good way to go. It would actually be pretty good fun. That’s chasing a human with hounds “Obviously not killing the person”. I guess you could chase them down and shoot them with a paint ball gun :rofl:

1 Like

Can we make this optional depending on the person being hunted? :wink:

1 Like

What goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas.

1 Like

I have a friend who could hunt a pair of clean boots anywhere, especially upon a smartly tailored man.

1 Like

Warning horror film link
The Omen “Hound Scene”
Aristocrat Damien Thorne and his Fox hounds versus religious nut jobs