The Layover - Taipei

Here’s the latest episode of Anthony Bourdain’s show that aired this week:

youtube.com/watch?v=bhmGf55ELRQ

I wouldn’t be surprised if it got taken down due to copyright soon.

Overall a decent show. He didn’t seem to be as into Taipei as some of the other Asian capitals that he loves. And I felt he didn’t really click with the local guides he chose. But he really loved those DTF dumplings!

hey cool, my bud was telling me to watch this on tv the other day, good to be able to see it on youtube. thanks for the tip off

[quote=“Oxtail”]Here’s the latest episode of Anthony Bourdain’s show that aired this week:

youtube.com/watch?v=bhmGf55ELRQ

I wouldn’t be surprised if it got taken down due to copyright soon.

Overall a decent show. He didn’t seem to be as into Taipei as some of the other Asian capitals that he loves. And I felt he didn’t really click with the local guides he chose. But he really loved those DTF dumplings![/quote]

ACtually i dont share your sentiment . I thought that he showed his genuine fondness for Taipei and has a great connection with his guides !

And he’s right you know? Many parts of the city are butt ugly looking !! This episode sure made me MISS my old town Taipei ! I miss all that wonderful food.

i got the impression he didnt seem to enamoured with it also. maybe a bit confused to taiwans identity?

I’m sure he liked Taipei. Just didn’t quite have the same spark that he has when he does shows in his favorite cities(Singapore/Tokyo/Saigon). Might have been the distinct lack of alcohol in the episode. Someone should have taken him to a pijiuwu.

A few years ago in an interview, when asked what’s the one dish he would be most likely to fly halfway around the world for, he singled out the XLB at DTF. So all his gushing over them near the end of the episode was pretty genuine.

Yea, he mostly just checked the block to add Taipei to the list. And he managed to make it without saying anything insulting.

Funny, when some of the Taiwanese described Taipei as “laid back” and his eyes flew wide open. Living here, we know what he means. It is a laid-back country town compared to other modern cosmopolitan cities in Asia.

He just looked really tired. Not enough energy to get into it.

I guess Anthony didn’t realize that most of the seafood he was eating in Keelung was probably not caught locally, as described in this CommonWealth Magazine article titled “Not plenty of fish in the sea for Taiwan’s struggling seafood industry”. Link english.cw.com.tw/article.do?act … w&id=13541.

That may be although I thought Keelung was a pretty good choice actually, even if a little far to go.

yes he did seem pretty tired. I think the TV crew were pretty ambitious in their scheduling. In that they only get a very short time in each country.

Should really have a few days to just rest up before doing any shooting i think.

They took four years to shoot Life of Pi and only a few days to shoot this tv episode.

I liked the episode tho, and i thought he was pretty generous in not saying anything at all negative. Other then that Chodufu wasnt his thing. Which is not unusual. How many white people like the stuff?

yes taipei for sure does NOT look or seem anything “laid back” to anyone who has not been to HongKong thats for sure.

Had a laugh out of that one, but yes, many people from HongKong think Taipei is laid back.

I personally dont think so.

And i grew up there. Iv never thought Taipei laid back.

In the sense that you can get to beaches in an hours drive and the mountains in that or less, yes there are laid back things to do easily but the city itself is pretty frantic.

The scoots alone make it that way. Traffic is pretty bad. Just as bad as Bangkok but pretty bad.

Keelung is a nice day trip. But the one thing i loved about that particular nitemarket is the ChuChiao (pigs feet) stand there. That was simply awesome. The rest can be had in any other nite market.

For seafood i prefer this one restaurant on the way to Aoti. And i a handful in NanFangAo.

It’s tough to not look underwhelmed when what is on offer is underwhelming.

:thumbsup:

Disappointing. Kuai Chow on a bus, The Modern Toilet? A posh hot springs resort in Beitou and getting your hair washed at the spa?

Very un-Bourdainish stuff.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]Disappointing. Kuai Chow on a bus, The Modern Toilet? A posh hot springs resort in Beitou and getting your hair washed at the spa?

Very un-Bourdainish stuff.[/quote]

Contractual obligation.

TLC is popular in Taiwan. You really ought to do Taipei, Tony. OK, let’s get it over with.

The guy’s a chef and he knows his food. Thus his performance in this show.

[quote=“tomthorne”]

Contractual obligation.

TLC is popular in Taiwan. You really ought to do Taipei, Tony. OK, let’s get it over with.

The guy’s a chef and he knows his food. Thus his performance in this show.[/quote]

Memo to the Taiwan Tourist Bureau: TLC sending popular TV chef to do a show about food/attractions in Taipei.

Response: My cousin has a friend who’s sister just came back from America. She can be his guide.

Haha pretty true.
The show did a good job at showing so many different places in a short time, good production values. They hit on most of the local food. Having to show ‘Taiwanese’ or ‘Chinese’ food was a bit limiting though, as you can get lots of great Japanese or Asian food in Taipei too and that’s always been part of the charm of the city. They tried their best to show him some of the quirky or unique stuff in Taiwan like shrimp fishing or the hot springs or tai qi, he just didn’t want to participate it seems.

Although the layover format is superior in many ways, I still preferred some no reservations episodes just because I like to see him bitch about the places too!

Just checked the layover in Dublin; oh man he enjoyed the black stuff.

I watched it attentively. No the food, not the must-see places but Anthony himself.

Now, I felt like the title “the layover” was more “the hangover” for Anthony. In the first 15 minutes, his hands were shaken and his “joi de vivre / eating” as in No Reservations was nowhere to be found. Could have been tiredness also as their schedule is hectic but it did not as whole “inspired” me to the extent as seeing him promoting other cities / dishes / places.

Famous places / dishes were overseen like the local hot-pot to name one , or a reference to the 100 NTD restaurants / dishes.
And no, Taoyuan is not “an hour and a half” from Taipei , as it immediately was given a perception that the airports is “far” from downtown as cumbersome to get too)
Yes, a taxi is 40 USD to the City - but a reference to the cheap shuttle buses might have been nice to mention as an alternative.

Giving this one a 5/10, being rather disappointing as Mr. B was this time certainly not himself - or at least his “zest” was not to be seen in the show.