The Life Aquatic

…with steve zissou. for those of you who ever wanted to join the crew of Jaques Cousteau, shoot a movie, reconnect with a long lost son, embark upon one last adventure, or sing a song with david bowie :notworthy:

I haven’t seen this, but the preview made it look really stupid. You liked it? Why?

I’ve heard nothing but good things about this - how’d you watch it Bob? Is it out on DVD here or something?

Out on DVD and at blockbusters. Yes it is kinda stupid but if you watch it twice in a row and drink a bottle of whiskey with the second viewing you’ll probably get it…

Crap crap crap. I loved Wes Anderson’s first two movies, Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but he’s been withdrawing into some sort of twee fantasy world ever since.

You must not have ever wanted to join the crew of Jaques Cousteau, shoot a movie, reconnect with a long lost son, embark upon one last adventure, or sing a song with david bowie…

It’s a farce about childishness in adulthood and the fun and imagination that “can” come from that. Of course it’s stupid. It is SUPPOSED to be stupid. But it is also beautifully scored and the acting is a hoot.

Anyway, if you don’t like camp you won’t like this one that’s for sure…

I watched this last night and was blown away. I absolutely loved it, but then, my early TV experience had the voyages of the Calypso at the top of the list. I believe I also had some kind of certificate denoting me as an honorary crew member of the Calypso when I was 11. I wish they’d had special rings though. That would have been cool. And the guy doing Bowie songs in Portuguese … and Willem Dafoe’s insecure second-in-command …

Brilliant stuff!