The Lighthouse Bar and Grill in Kaohsiung

https://www.google.com.tw/maps/place/燈塔美式酒館+%2F+The+Lighthouse+Bar+%26+Grill/@22.6642479,120.3065669,19.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x346e0504f23f34a9:0x302b1d75d451184e!8m2!3d22.6647222!4d120.3066666?hl=zh-TW

Anyone else been to this place? I thought it was comfy, and the bleu cheese bacon burger wasn’t bad.

I was going to go to Foster Hewitt’s 2, which is right across the park from there, but honestly Hewitt’s looked kind of dirty. Any opinions on which is better?

Another question: Above the building where the restaurant is located there’s a sign reading “K Town Diner.” Was The Lighthouse formerly known as the K Town Diner?

Thanks, I have not tried but will try to visit. The burger sounds good.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that thinks The Lighthouse is overrated? Went there on a Saturday night last year and it was so crowded and so loud that I lasted about two beers before finding a locals bar down the street that was freaking amazing.

Loud and crowded sounds great I have yet to see it like that. I’ve only been a couple times though.

And? Quiet and not crowded? Why was amazing and what the name, cough up the details

The lLghthouse Bar thread comments are rather sparse.

Kind of… for pub food I prefer Foster Hewitt’s or Legends. But it’s got a nice atmosphere for having a drink.

Don’t remember the name, I don’t speak Chinese and I know they didn’t have an English sign outside, just that it was about two blocks away from The Lighthouse. Would have to ask the wife, as I was quite inebriated after six beers and several free shots of bourbon.

Wasn’t too crowded, everybody in the place had somewhere to sit. Also didn’t have the blaring music The Lighthouse had going. They were playing Asian pop music of some stripe, and had kung fu movies on the TV.

1 Like

Even on the slowest of Saturday nights, I’m pretty sure the Lighthouse won’t put kung fu movies on any of their TVs. They pride themselves on showing sports, any sports, for people to go watch on weekends.

As for the music, they usually have it at a level that is appropriate enough so that conversations can be had and heard, although I imagine the odd time it’s turned up at a request of a customer(s) who enjoy a song. Most of their clientele are locals so it’s not surprising that Asian pop gets requested at times. I know because my wife, after a few drinks, will ask Ellie (the owner and her good friend) to put on a song or two and Ellie gladly does.

The K Town Diner was a restaurant around the corner from the Lighthouse that they had for a couple of years. Quite good food and a nice atmosphere. They shut it down a few years ago.

2 Likes

Right. I don’t think the food is great (it’s okay), but it has a generally nice atmosphere and nice people. I also didn’t notice any “blaring music.” It’s nice enough I took my in-laws there once to try some “American food” as they were interested in it (plus it has some fall-back Chinese and Taiwanese options on the menu if they don’t like it). I’ve also had a couple students who have worked there. So I’m pro-Lighthouse.

1 Like

The ribs are delicious!

I usually go with the quesadillas (not great, but there’s no great Mexican food in Kaohsiung anyway), or the Buffalo chicken sandwich. Funnily enough, my wife says the Kungpao chicken is amazing… better than most of the local places. You wouldn’t expect a western pub to have good Kungpao, but I guess it does.

I visited for the first time, had a burger and a beer at the bar. Food was ok, Arkansas diner’s burger is better. Didn’t care much for the dividers that meant I didn’t have anything to look at except a sliver of the bar, but there were some folks around.

After that I went to Legends for a beer. The only other customer was a large white woman who stared daggers when she picked up her order and then left immediately. I felt more at home in the dive-style of Lighthouse.

Walked past Foster Hewit’s twice thinking to complete the trifecta, but the first time it was too empty and the second time it was too full!

2 Likes

For burgers, you need to go to beast!

1 Like

it’s already on my list, i only recently moved outta the sticks so lots of places to try!

Putting on my old-man-yelling-at-the-clouds hat…I’ve never had a good burger in Asia. The beef patty is always over cooked and dry, the bun is always too hard and bready, the cheese is usually boring American, so I gave up a while ago. Some burgers (usually from expat joints) are passable, but nothing great. I don’t know. I’ll try Beast though I guess.