The Like Epidemic | Using Word “Like” Excessively

It’s interesting because he clearly does a memorised speech in order to overcome his speech impediment. Must have been tough for him dealing with that.

A guy I went to college with had a really bad stammer. However, he could overcome it by singing.

How about this guy?

I use like, like, all the time, like, when I’m, like, speaking English.

In the right context it’s fine, although it annoys me a lot. However, in say a formal academic or business situation it really isn’t fine.

I’m sure you know when to switch off the like button, but a lot of people don’t and it prevents them from being taken seriously.

One of the trainers at my work says “um” every other fucking word and it makes me feel insane.

It bothers me less than the Mancunian “ehm” filler, or the thing American women do now where they divide “and” into two syllables: aay-und.

What makes it more irritating is people who use loads of meaningless filling words or sounds tend to be the ones who never shut up. They are using the fillers to think of things to carry on talking.

1 Like

I think it’s also just become a bad habit for some of them. Some can’t complete even one lone sentence without an “um.”

1 Like

um, well, like, it’s me.

1 Like

I think if you’re not a native speaker of English (or any language), the use of fillers can be forgiven to some extent. But if English is all you can speak…

I don’t get it that get isn’t like punished.

You don’t get what?

Americanism get’s worldwide, south east UK around 3 years ago my Son age 25 years was saying ‘like’ excessively and so was local mechanic age 55 years. Really getting on my nerves.
I come to Taipei my Girlfriends Daughter age 17 when speaking English was doing it also, She was ‘yeah you know like’ over and over.

That’s hella harsh, dude.

1 Like

As long as your girlfriend’s daughter isn’t saying “la” at the end of every sentence, it’s all good.

1 Like