The limitations of text based conversations

I am falling out of love with talking on the internet. The words just sit there, and can be interpreted in all manner of ways. You can walk away from the words, mull them over, and they are still there. It just isn’t good. And then there is the loss of tone and most vitally of body language. We pick up, what, 80% of meaning from body language and tone, and the words are of little importance. But on the internet the words are all you have, and in some cases you can’t even delete them. They just sit there, for people to fester over.
I am tired of misunderstanding and of being misunderstood. It leads to pointless silly arguments where people fall out over the dumbest of sentences.

Anybody else feel this way?

Very seldom. I know of two examples of what you’re talking about – one on here a few minutes ago and the other someplace else written by someone else – and I had no trouble “getting” exactly what was written by both parties on each occasion. I did see how it seemed to upset you quite a lot, though, and it really came as a surprise, as I thought (rightly) that both things were written in a very light-hearted way with no venom or nastiness whatsoever.
You’re TOM fucking HILL, for chrissakes! EVERYBODY loves TomHill!

[quote=“sandman”]Very seldom. I know of two examples of what you’re talking about – one on here a few minutes ago and the other someplace else written by someone else – and I had no trouble “getting” exactly what was written by both parties on each occasion. I did see how it seemed to upset you quite a lot, though, and it really came as a surprise, as I thought (rightly) that both things were written in a very light-hearted way with no venom or nastiness whatsoever.
You’re TOM fucking HILL, for chrissakes! EVERYBODY loves TomHill![/quote]

I think I MUST have swine flu. I am being a real pig this week. I can’t drink booze or suck on my pipe. I’ll start shouting at myself soon.

That’s what smilies are for. :cactus:

[quote=“TomHill”]

…or suck on my pipe.[/quote]

You can usually do that? Ew, you didn’t buy into Loretta’s latest money-making scheme, did you? His ‘Yoga for Self-Abusers’ DVD?

[quote=“TomHill”]I am falling out of love with talking on the internet. The words just sit there, and can be interpreted in all manner of ways. You can walk away from the words, mull them over, and they are still there. It just isn’t good. And then there is the loss of tone and most vitally of body language. We pick up, what, 80% of meaning from body language and tone, and the words are of little importance. But on the internet the words are all you have, and in some cases you can’t even delete them. They just sit there, for people to fester over.
I am tired of misunderstanding and of being misunderstood. It leads to pointless silly arguments where people fall out over the dumbest of sentences.

Anybody else feel this way?[/quote]

Don’t expect verbal conversations to be any better. The problem isn’t the written form, it’s the immediacy - the less time it takes to respond, the less time people take to think about what they’re saying.

Written words - opinion columns, letters, what have you - used to be measured responses and calculated statements. When somebody said something, it was for a reason; they took their time to write it and because newspapers, letters and magazine articles took time, they weren’t in any rush. And when you received the letter or print media, you took your time reading it and mulled over what was said before responding. Nowadays because of email, SMS, chat and other immediate ways of responding, people write literally and take everything literally, and usually out of context to falsely claim something else was said. Such people are more worried about “newbies” than nuances.

In conversation, it’s worse. Just as people used to think before writing and could write with a sense of respect for others’ ideological opponents, people used to have the respect to listen to others’ opinions and be quiet while others spoke. Now you “win” arguments by outshouting people, by silencing them with noise and preventing them from talking, not by having a stronger argument.

If you think online text is bad, just look at how the media handles “debates” and “interviews”. It’s all about wasting enough time spewing lies and character assassination to prevent people from having time to talk about and address the facts. At least with online text you don’t have to deal with interruptions and challenging liars is possible, if it’s not a hit-and-run troll doing it.

Too much information there, Tom.

You’re communicating with people you usually don’t know, of varying levels of intelligence and sobriety, some of whom are deliberately going to misunderstand in order to pick a fight. Other people are going to twist what the OP means in order to say something they want to say, which doesn’t neatly fit the topic. Others just want to make themselves sound clever, which always seems a bit pointless to me when the poster’s anonymous, or call someone else out when they get something wrong. A few are clinically insane.

This is what makes it all so much fun.

If I ever cross the line I always blame it on the beer (which isn’t always true).

rotfl wt the fk r u tlking abt Tom?

I think some of the girls here are really guys.

No eyes to read, tone to decipher, or reflexes to gauge. Huge amounts lost in translation.
But so what?
It’s all kinda like free-fallin’…

[quote=“TomHill”]I am falling out of love with talking on the internet. The words just sit there, and can be interpreted in all manner of ways. You can walk away from the words, mull them over, and they are still there. It just isn’t good. And then there is the loss of tone and most vitally of body language. We pick up, what, 80% of meaning from body language and tone, and the words are of little importance. But on the internet the words are all you have, and in some cases you can’t even delete them. They just sit there, for people to fester over.

Anybody else feel this way?[/quote]

Try writing a book. The effect would be the same but your frustration would be even worse.