The Little Suicide Bomber Who Could & Other Children's Books

Is this book suitable for children?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

The Ontario Library Association has come under fire by the Canadian Jewish Congress for selecting Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak for a children’s independent reading program.

In this book, Israeli and Palestinian children tell their own stories in their own words. This is without doubt a worthy book, but should it be in a reading program aimed at 9 - 12 year-old kids? Even the publisher recommends grade 6 or above.

I have to agree with the CJC, a book in which children talk about how wonderful it is to be a suicide bomber is not suitable for a children’s reading program. I don’t think libraries should toss it in the bin, but it should be available for more mature readers.

I think any reasonable person would consider this book not to be suitable for such young children. It’s outrageous.

A book which glorifies terrorism isn’t suitable for children but some in the U.S. seem to think that airing any voice from the Palestinian side of the conflict isn’t suitable for anyone of any age:

Rickman slams ‘censorship’ of play about US Gaza activist

“A New York theatre company has put off plans to stage a play about an American activist killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza because of the current “political climate” - a decision the play’s British director, Alan Rickman, denounced yesterday as “censorship”.”

Agreed, it doesn’t seem appropriate for younger kids.

Moreover, I think any reasonable person would consider the experiences that contributed to the stories in this book not to be suitable for such young children.

Children targeted on their way to school, growing up under siege, dodging bullets and bombs. Objectionable books don’t seem so bad in comparison, but none of it is exactly the stuff that childhood dreams are made of.

[quote=“spook”]A book which glorifies terrorism isn’t suitable for children but some in the U.S. seem to think that airing any voice from the Palestinian side of the conflict isn’t suitable for anyone of any age:

“A New York theatre company has put off plans to stage a play about an American activist killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza because of the current “political climate” - a decision the play’s British director, Alan Rickman, denounced yesterday as “censorship”.”[/quote]

Quote"
James Nicola, the artistic director of the New York Theatre Workshop, said it had never formally announced it would be staging the play, My Name is Rachel Corrie, but it had been considering staging it in March

I really don’t think the director of some theatre workshop (New York has hundreds, ya know?) should be referred to as " some in the U.S.
Watch your words. Are you really suggesting this theatre workshop represents as many opinions as the Ontario Library Association or the Canadian Jewish Congress?

[quote=“trebuchet”][quote=“spook”]A book which glorifies terrorism isn’t suitable for children but some in the U.S. seem to think that airing any voice from the Palestinian side of the conflict isn’t suitable for anyone of any age:

“A New York theatre company has put off plans to stage a play about an American activist killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza because of the current “political climate” - a decision the play’s British director, Alan Rickman, denounced yesterday as “censorship”.”[/quote]

Quote"
James Nicola, the artistic director of the New York Theatre Workshop, said it had never formally announced it would be staging the play, My Name is Rachel Corrie, but it had been considering staging it in March

I really don’t think the director of some theatre workshop (New York has hundreds, ya know?) should be referred to as " some in the U.S.
Watch your words. Are you really suggesting this theatre workshop represents as many opinions as the Ontario Library Association or the Canadian Jewish Congress?[/quote]

Maybe this will help clarify the situation:

“In our pre-production planning and our talking around and listening in our communities in New York, what we heard was that after Ariel Sharon’s illness and the election of Hamas, we had a very edgy situation,” Mr Nicola said.

“We found that our plan to present a work of art would be seen as us taking a stand in a political conflict, that we didn’t want to take.”

I read that already. Duh, I visited your link. :unamused:

Back on topic: anyway, I don’t think the book is suitable for young children. The subject matter is very disturbing.