The local lunatic

I’ve been living in Taiwan now for 18 odd months. From what I’ve come to understand and really admire about their culture is the respect and care given to the elderly. However recently it’s started to dawn on me that there can be a negative side too.

There is an elderly gentleman who looks to be in his late 60’s to early 70’s, his pastime is to shout and ramble at people that pass him by and he will switch to really bad english when he spots me.

He used to show up and handful of times per week and would spread himself about the local area so I would just go about my business and ignore him. However for the past couple of months he has parked himself on the corner of my street right outside my home for 12 or more hours a day, this means whenever I leave my house I have to pass him and put up with him being a knob.

There has been several occasions where he has followed me for a little way down the street or into any local shop and continued to harass me.

Yesterday I was carrying my sleeping daughter on my shoulder and he started with his usual bullshit. I made a shushing motion with my finger hoping he would be reasonable but this seemed to push him even further and he launched into a more vicious tirade then usual.

I kind of feel at my wits end and I dread having to walk past him with my daughter again. No one says a word to him as he is an old man and that seems to give him a free pass to be an absolute bell end.

I’d like to hear about others experiences with local crazies and also advice if there’s anything I can do legally or otherwise to deal with it.

That sucks, but it is these kind of situations that make ipods such wonderful devices. Having your earbuds in is great when the local yokels or town clowns start harassing, simply point at your ear and gesture you can’t hear. This discourages these people and they fuck off.

Another option is to bring a local friend with you next time he is around, nothing pisses off a Taiwanese person more than seeing one of their compatriots acting idiotic in front of or towards . Your local friend will likely tear a strip off him verbally and you will feel some kind of satisfaction.

Local lunatics are common in communities around the world.

I agree with DD that in Taiwan the best and most efficient way is to get a local involved, hopefully one not afraid to express his/her opinion verbally. It doesnt need to be rude but a suitable strong comment should flip the switch. A comment from a local to leave the foreigner alone should work. Shopkeepers can serve this purpose and surprising that they haven’t already engaged. I’ve experienced locals helping me out (on their own initiative) in many similar situations where someone was invading my space in some regard.

Talk to the community leader or lizhang. Point out you are concerned about your child’s well being and the well being of teh elderly guy -which is true, the lizhang should be on top of that case.

I’m used to see local crazy people, but recently I’ve been encountering a white guy who is apparently a crazy homeless person, i.e. dirty, shabbily dressed, unwashed, vacant stare, unfocused, etc. He came up to me in the park when I was practicing tai-chi and asked me (in English) what my country was. He seemed to have a European accent but I could be wrong. I told him “Taiwan” and he nodded and left. A couple of weeks later he ran past me down Zhongxiao West Road screaming at everyone, and I’ve seen him hanging around the park since then as well. Kind of strange.

WOW! That’s the same guy who asked me if Tony Blair was still PM on Sunday. I think he has a case of Coprolalia as well, because he was cussing on the top of his lungs.

I’ve got my local Crazy guy too but he’s harmless. He picks up recyclable items everyday, 365 days /year. He wears this kick ass black helmet given by a local to keep him safe when he wanders around the roads. Now he wears it every day even when it’s the blistering summer.

It’s strange because I see policemen interrogating people on the street, vendors and Southeast Asians that hang around the train station, but either they leave that guy alone or he’s got a residence/visa/whatever.

I would really like to confront him and have a go, but I get the feeling he is after a reaction and I don’t want to give him what he wants. I will have to find out who my local community leader is and try that, thanks icon.

I’ve found that wearing headphones discourages normal, rational people from talking to you. But those whose brains don’t operate normally are all too often unable to interpret the symbolism of the headphone: they approach you and say stuff to you anyway.

I mentioned to one yesterday that my family has been discouraged from coming to his shop because of said lunatic. They seemed to sympathize but wether they take any action is another matter entirely.

I usually cuss them out of it, bring it straight back at them and also show them by my body language I mean business (these guys often act mad but they are not completely mad) but I find the most successful (and perhaps more prudent way) to deal with this is to avoid the cretins altogether by living in a gated or secure community. Having a word with the lizhang might be a good idea too.

Scottish accent maybe?

Likes to play the saxophone?

WOW! That’s the same guy who asked me if Tony Blair was still PM on Sunday. I think he has a case of Coprolalia as well, because he was cussing on the top of his lungs. [/quote]
I was just trying to be friendly and make conversation.

Here is a little update, I contacted the lizhang but he told me there is not really much he can do. So my wife has been suggesting I contact the police but I am still undecided on that as I don’t want to waste their time with something they can do nothing about.

I have managed to avoid him since writing this post but just half an hour ago as I was walking home from the station he started to shout at me and follow me down the street again, after about 20 meters i turned around gave him my meanest look and said “wo da dian hua jing cha fuck off” I’m not sure if I told him i was calling the police correctly but by the look on his face I think he got the “fuck off”

WOW! That’s the same guy who asked me if Tony Blair was still PM on Sunday. I think he has a case of Coprolalia as well, because he was cussing on the top of his lungs. [/quote]
I was just trying to be friendly and make conversation.[/quote]

This deserves a separate thread… or is there already a crazy foreigner thread?

[quote=“Jacka”]Here is a little update, I contacted the lizhang but he told me there is not really much he can do. So my wife has been suggesting I contact the police but I am still undecided on that as I don’t want to waste their time with something they can do nothing about.

I have managed to avoid him since writing this post but just half an hour ago as I was walking home from the station he started to shout at me and follow me down the street again, after about 20 meters i turned around gave him my meanest look and said “wo da dian hua jing cha fuck off” I’m not sure if I told him I was calling the police correctly but by the look on his face I think he got the “fuck off”[/quote]

Maybe the police should be contacted so there wil be a recorded precedent. Now at least the lizhang is aware of the problem, in case of escalation. Problem with you using the F word is that now the lunatic -if he had the clearity of mind- can sue you. Yep, he can.

Sorry to hear this situation keeps on going.

Well he can’t sue unless he has proof, plus he’s probably sworn at the OP a hundred times. I would get in the guys face and go crazy back , but that’s just me.

I think that if you want to involve the police and the courts then you will need proper evidence: witnesses and recordings. That could form the basis of a criminal complaint or a lawsuit. Getting the courts involved would also reveal who is his family is, probably, and forcing them into the light might get them to try and control him, maybe. :2cents:

Can’t the police just friendly like ask him to move along? Plus, I believe that kids are legally obliged to care for parents in this society. Find out who he belongs to?

Can you take a video with your phone and youtube it? Maybe you can make money from the ads. And you have evidence.

Having that kind of solid evidence might help the lihzang and cops get off their lazy asses too.