The Maffematics Thread

P1 to P5 are definitions of N. You cannot assume N.

They are rules. They are the smallest set of rules that will describe the natural numbers.

I don’t care about 1 + 1, but I’d like to see a proof that it’s actually the smallest set of rules. Maybe another mathematician could actually come up with a smaller set.

You are right. They are generally considered to be the smallest set of rules. If you can find a smaller set of rules, let me know.

1+1=11

Instead of arguing about the theories why don’t you guys just do a simple experiment?

Take one of something.
Add one more.
Count them.

I tried this with Bacardi and cokes last night.

1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = 2 Bacardi and cokes

I’m certain of this. I repeated the experiment three or four times. Every time I ordered a drink I ordered another one, and it always resulted in me having 2 drinks. 1+1=2

Interestingly I found myself inadvertantly venturing into Quantum territory later on. You’ve heard that stuff about how the act of measuring something affects the outcome of the experiment? Well it’s true!

1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = 2 Bacardi and cokes, but 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = lots of Bacardi and cokes + a headache - lots of money.

All that maths made my head spin too.

[quote=“tmwc”]Instead of arguing about the theories why don’t you guys just do a simple experiment?

Take one of something.
Add one more.
Count them.

I tried this with Bacardi and cokes last night.

1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = 2 Bacardi and cokes

I’m certain of this. I repeated the experiment three or four times. Every time I ordered a drink I ordered another one, and it always resulted in me having 2 drinks. 1+1=2

Interestingly I found myself inadvertantly venturing into Quantum territory later on. You’ve heard that stuff about how the act of measuring something affects the outcome of the experiment? Well it’s true!

1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = 2 Bacardi and cokes, but 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke + 1 Bacardi and coke = lots of Bacardi and cokes + a headache - lots of money.

All that maths made my head spin too.[/quote]

This reminds me of another proof.

10(Bacardi + coke ) = hangover
10(Whisky + coke ) = hangover
10( Vodka + coke) = hangover

Deduction : Coke causes hangover…