The Mars Thread

For some time I’ve been following the progress of the Mars rovers at this site: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html There are links here to the panoramic images that Hobbes was referring to, as well as other features.
It’s amazing how long the rovers have lasted, considering that their expected lifespan was estimated at 99 sols (Martian Days)

Here’s a video clip of dust devils on Mars, taken by the Spirit rover at Gusev crater on sol 543.

oh no, you know that in reality the US is secretely exporting their CO2 to Mars, that’s why they don’t want to sign the kyoto agreement. why should they?

How could there be any climate change on Mars otherwise … the US government claims there are no Mars(t)ians … so they are not the cause of the change …

[quote=“belgian pie”]oh no, you know that in reality the US is secretely exporting their CO2 to Mars, that’s why they don’t want to sign the kyoto agreement. why should they?

How could there be any climate change on Mars otherwise … the US government claims there are no Mars(t)ians … so they are not the cause of the change …[/quote]

You just don’t understand Martian culture…

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“belgian pie”]oh no, you know that in reality the US is secretely exporting their CO2 to Mars, that’s why they don’t want to sign the kyoto agreement. why should they?

How could there be any climate change on Mars otherwise … the US government claims there are no Mars(t)ians … so they are not the cause of the change …[/quote]

You just don’t understand Martian culture…[/quote]

LOL :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“Bassman”]If Mars years are twice as long as earth years…

Does that mean that we’d live twice as long? :idunno:[/quote]

No, it means you’d live to be half your age. Say you were 26 years old in Earth years. In Martian years, you’d only be 13. People would retire when they turned 32 and you’d get put in the Guinness Book of Records for celebrating your 60th birthday.

Or perhaps they went underground, built huge shopping malls and transport systems, cities, countries … they might even have a 101, we just can’t see them on the surface … they are not so stupid to come up and freeze their but off like we in Taiwan … :laughing:

Quite the grave-dig, so keep that in mind when reading and replying to what’s upthread.

The Mars Opportunity rover mission is no more, and its demise is making people sentimental …

And apparently this is about Spirit, not Opportunity, but what the heck:

I’m not sure who came up with the extended version:

1 Like

I won’t be surprised if it’s caused by stuff introduced by human space crafts.

We warmed up the moon simply by walking on it…

Oh no ! I have not got round to tabulating the Earth’s issues yet and… look.

Humans think they’re so special. :unamused:

well… we changed the moon’s surface temp by leaving a bunch of foot prints on it.

Here for the Mars content!

Oh…you mean the planet.

1 Like

Mars lost (almost all) of its atmosphere billions of year ago.
Once it had shallow oceans and possibly life in those oceans. Life on Earth may even have started on Mars.
Mars is a giant warning sign for us on Earth (most theories say it lost its atmosphere due to lack of plate tectonics, magnetic field and smaller mass).
It probably has life underground still though overground it’s barren wasteland.

When you study Mars you realise how special life is on Earth.

I don’t get it. Does that mean she has a penis?

1 Like

It’s the planetary symbol for Mars…

Whoops!

For reference:

1 Like

Ah, now I finally get the “men are from Mars, women are from Venus” reference…

1 Like

I appreciate that the symbol for Uranus has a hole in the middle. :grin:

2 Likes

I like how Pluto looks like a P and L together, and Uranus looks like a butthole. Easy to remember.

1 Like