The maxi scooter thread

I’m not sure if this has been brought up before. Have you seen the new 500cc scooters around yet?

I’ve seen it a few times now. I think it looks better in real then it does on the pictures. It’s fast and it’s loud. It has a low tone sound to it just like some big bikes.

I don’t think it compares with sport bikes when it comes to performance and handling and the biggest problem with such a heavy bike is that it has little if any engine breaks due to its automatic transmission. It is engineered with pretty strong brakes but it still will not slow down nearly as fast as most recent sport bikes.

On the up side, it looks very comfortable and it would be a whole lot better than a bike on rainy days. What do you think?

Here’s a link to an article.

And here’s a few pics:

bobepine

The review that you linked to was very positive. The same site said very nice things about the Kymco Venox.

It does look like a nice piece of kit, but I suggest to anyone thinking of getting one that they might like to hold off for a little while to allow for any bumps and creases to be ironed out.

If I had enough money for a maxi scooter I’d like to get a Yamaha T-max 500. A bit sporty but still good for touring. Actually has a proper back suspension setup so the wheel moves independently of the transmission, reducing unsprung weight and improving handling.

I was never a scooter fan and always hated the flighty handling… until I had a ride on buddy’s 500cc Suzuki. While I might not choose to buy one over a conventional motorcycle I was very impressed with what it could do. The extra weight and longer wheelbase really works wonders in the handling department.
Don’t worry about engine braking. Cars with automatic transmissions stop just fine :wink:

“In the Far East, by contrast, the cities are infested with hundreds of thousands of little plastic scooters from dozens of makers, as alike as styrofoam cups and almost as disposable.”
:laughing: Too true, too true.

Looks like a Lazy-Boy with wheels.

They come with cup holders?

Where do you put the remote?

Have an outlet for a reading light?

“For Those of You Who are Just too Lazy to Ride Properly.”

This is too easy.

I might get flamed by scooter fans out there but it’s like getting attacked by a chipmunk–kinda cute.

These have been around in the USA for about 5 years now. They asre just starting to catch on in certain areas - SW, Southern states, Florida and the western states. Also in some of the Middle and Eastern Metro areas.
Suzuki has a 400cc model that is and has been getting very positive reviews. Now they’ve added a 600cc model. I think a few other manufacturers have also entered this market segment with 400cc & larger models. Some of the 600cc models have been highly reccomended for ‘touring’ 2-up use by folks who would not have been considering the motorcycle market. The automatic tranny, storage space and comfort factor being the big draws.
I have been trying to get my bro in Florida to take a test spin on one. I think if he did he might add it to his mc collection in his garage - he has 3 already. His wife I think would also like it a lot.

IMO, a 400cc model would be a great cruiser for use on Taiwan. And it has plenty of speed and power for use on the hiways/freeways/expressways or whatever the hell they call them here when/if that becomes a reality.

I think the Yamaha Majesty 400 is available here. That’s had pretty good reviews.

Redwagon, are you sure your friend’s scooter was not a 400cc? The only thing I can find is the Burgman 400 by Suzuki. More classy than sporty this one.

And here’s a pic of the Yamaha T-Max 500. Quite sporty looking indeed. It looks a lot nicer than the kymco I think. I’ve never seen one before.

The Kymco in my first post is a 2004 model, the T-Max is a 2002 model and the Burgman is a 2003 model.

The T-Max is my fav, it looks like an automatic crotch-rocket. Very sweet. I’m sure it has a cup holder too but I doubt it has a reading light or a remote control.

bubba, I think easy is what they aim for. On most days it would be boring compared to a real bike but sometimes it would be nice. Just like sometimes I would trade the stick for an automatic tranny in a car although I like the stick better.

It comes down to this I think. [quote]Some of the 600cc models have been highly reccomended for ‘touring’ 2-up use by folks who would not have been considering the motorcycle market. The automatic tranny, storage space and comfort factor being the big draws. [/quote]

Hell you can eat while you ride one of these monsters. You’d need a third hand for the clutch on a real bike. :wink:

bobepine

Yeah, it was probably a 400 and it looked a lot like that first picture. It was a few years ago, and it wasn’t like riding a Ducati or something you’d remember every single nut-and-bolt detail on.

I am not getting old. My memory is not failing.

[quote=“bobepine”]And here’s a pic of the Yamaha T-Max 500. Quite sporty looking indeed. It looks a lot nicer than the kymco I think. I’ve never seen one before…
The T-Max is my fav, it looks like an automatic crotch-rocket. Very sweet. I’m sure it has a cup holder too but I doubt it has a reading light or a remote control.[/quote]I’ve seen a T-max in Taichung and one in Taipei. Bet they cost a lot though.

I think you can fit them out pretty nicely for touring. But yes, the intention is definitely to make an exciting machine.

What about the licensing for these things? Same as a motorcycle?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]What about the licensing for these things? Same as a motorcycle?[/quote]I guess so. They have yellow plates, so that must mean the rider has to do a big-bike test. I would imagine the tax bands are the same as well. I can’t remember but I think a 400cc bike is in a lower band than a 500cc one. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw a 600 c.c. scooter parked down here in Jiayi last week.

I was thinking to myself “Why the hell would you get a scooter if you wanted to spend a lot of money and wanted a 400 c.c. plus engine?” :loco:

I guess some people are afraid to clutch and shift gears and stuff like that. I actually like those big scooters, esp. the Yamahas. I’m not to crazy about the ones that have such a high pillion seat. I heard that girls don’t like to ride that high and it does look somewhat funny.

For that kind of cash I’d still get a “big bike”.

t-max is the way to go for the big scooters… no q about it… and the kymco one is fugly… there’s one at the kawasaki dealership next to my work and … well… fugly…

There are several advantages of a regular scooter over a small motorbike, such as better weather protection, bigger storage space, and not having to change gears constantly (this last one’s a particular advantage here given all the stop lights.)

But these don’t really apply with bigger machines. Some big motorbikes have decent fairings, and most can be fitted with decent luggage systems capable of carrying several full-face helmets. Even the gear thing doesn’t apply so much if your big bike can pull away smoothly and get to a reasonable in-town speed, all in the first couple of gears.

Variety is the spice of life!

[quote=“joesax”]There are several advantages of a regular scooter over a small motorbike, such as better weather protection, bigger storage space, and not having to change gears constantly (this last one’s a particular advantage here given all the stop lights.)

But these don’t really apply with bigger machines. Some big motorbikes have decent fairings, and most can be fitted with decent luggage systems capable of carrying several full-face helmets. Even the gear thing doesn’t apply so much if your big bike can pull away smoothly and get to a reasonable in-town speed, all in the first couple of gears.[/quote]

What ‘stop lights’? :laughing:

I was just reading a bit more about these scooters. Piaggio has a 850cc version.(see pic below) It has a special transmission, all electronically controlled. I imagine it must be a pretty mean scooter.

I still prefer big bikes although I would buy a big scooter before I would buy many types of big bikes. I’m thinking Goldwings and the like.

Piaggio 850CC. I believe they make single and double seats, it vhanhes the look a bit.

bobepine

The Honda Silver Wing is a very nice maxi scooter. Review here:
telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai … wing16.xml

Another review here:
motorcycledaily.com/18march0 … rwing.html

User reviews here:
reviewcentre.com/reviews56617.html

Bobepine, you’ve been very diligent in posting pictures of scooters. Care to post a picture of the Silver Wing?

Hope you don’t mind – I’m changing the thread title as it’s now about maxi scooters in general.

[quote]I’m changing the thread title as it’s now about maxi scooters in general.[/quote]No worries. I didn’t know that big scooters were called maxi scooters.

Pic of the Honda Silverwing:

It looks way too classy for my taste but I bet it’s a smooth ride.

bobepine