The media's war - Thomas Sowell

I included the author name in the title in hopes more will become familiar with his writings. IMO, and more than a few others, he isoe of the finest commentators on the scene today.

[quote]The media’s war
Dec 13, 2005, by Thomas Sowell

The media seem to have come up with a formula that would make any war in history unwinnable and unbearable: They simply emphasize the enemy’s victories and our losses.

Losses suffered by the enemy are not news, no matter how large, how persistent, or how clearly they indicate the enemy’s declining strength.

What are the enemy’s victories in Iraq? The killing of Americans and the killing of Iraqi civilians. Both are big news in the mainstream media, day in and day out, around the clock.

Has anyone ever believed that any war could be fought without deaths on both sides? Every death is a tragedy to the individual killed and to his loved ones. But is there anything about American casualty rates in Iraq that makes them more severe than casualty rates in any other war we have fought?

On the contrary, the American deaths in Iraqi are a fraction of what they have been in other wars in our history. The media have made a big production about the cumulative fatalities in Iraq, hyping the thousandth death with multiple full-page features in the New York Times and comparable coverage on TV. [color=green](rest of article at link)[/color]
townhall.com/opinion/columns … 78822.html[/quote]

Thomas Sowell is a right wing hack. He’s probably on the Bush administration’s dole like the Armstrong guy.

You don’t really need to read Sowell to know what he has to say. The left is evil, the right is incredibly saintly. There, that’s Sowell in a nutshell.

This will save you a lot of time and some seriously bad prose to boot.

$0.02

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
What are the enemy’s victories in Iraq? The killing of Americans and the killing of Iraqi civilians. Both are big news in the mainstream media, day in and day out, around the clock.[/quote]

Is that a true statement? I see almost no coverage these days of U.S. casualties in mainstream media sources. How about Sgt. Julia V. Atkins? Anybody heard her name anywhere this past week?

[quote=“flike”]Thomas Sowell is a right wing hack. He’s probably on the Bush administration’s dole like the Armstrong guy.
You don’t really need to read Sowell to know what he has to say. The left is evil, the right is incredibly saintly. There, that’s Sowell in a nutshell.
$0.02[/quote]flike -
It is highly unlikely that a reasoning person who has actually read Mr. Sowells writings would have the opinion you express.
Hopefully your expressed views will not hinder others from actually reading his articles.
As always, do you have any comments on his writings in [i]this[/i] article that you would like to share?

spook -
Perhaps you might start a thread about Sgt. Atkins. It would help others to know about her and her actions in Iraq.

Wars that the US public supported : WWI , WWII
Wars that (with much fewer casualties) they stopped supporting: Korea, Vietnam, Iraq .

It’s all the media’s fault?

[quote=“flike”]Thomas Sowell is a right wing hack. He’s probably on the Bush administration’s dole like the Armstrong guy.
$0.02[/quote]

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]It is highly unlikely that a reasoning person who has actually read Mr. Sowells writings would have the opinion you express.
Hopefully your expressed views will not hinder others from actually reading his articles.[/quote]
Like I said, if they have some time to burn, go for it. But it’s actually pretty easy to guess what Sowell and Armstrong have to say. It’s never been necessary to read either to know it, either.

The left is not always evil, and the right is rarely saintly.

Flike is a racist.

Flike is probably a KKK member in league with those like Hitler who gased Jews, the weak and Blacks.

You don’t really need to read Flike’s posts to know what he has to say. Blacks suck and whites rule. There, that’s Flike in a nutshell.

This will save you a lot of time in actually using your brain and some seriosly bad prose to boot.

$0.01

That’s what yer mama charged me last night, but I hear yer sister is worth twice as much.

[pinesay, you have buttons!]

Merry Christmas!

:laughing:

The context here is: “The killing of Americans and the killing of Iraqi civilians. Both are big news in the mainstream media, day in and day out, around the clock.”

Sgt. Julia Atkins was a member of the 64th MP Company killed in combat in Iraq last week, one of maybe three dozen women who’ve been killed in combat in Iraq since the war began and the first woman casualty in several months as far as I’m aware. What major news medium even mentioned her name last week?

The media believes that women in uniform are not really women.

Forget her…let’s hear more about Saint Cindy Sheehan! :lovestruck:

Regarding Sgt Atkins:

[quote]
“I’m kind of hurt but I’m also proud of my sister because she was serving her country, and my family feels the same way,” her only brother, Larry Thomas, said Monday.

Atkins joined the Army shortly after getting her GED, in part because of a family history of military service.

“I was in the (1/156th Armor Battalion) and when I came from basic training, she said she was joining the military. But she went active duty instead. My brother-in-law just left Iraq and my step-father is prior military,” her brother said.[/quote]

shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbc … /1002/NEWS

The report was from the Shreveport Times…meanwhile, the New York Times, Forbes, etc continue to murder forests to report on the latest antics of this dumb bitch:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]
[/quote]

[quote]Feelings
Nothing more than feelings
Trying to forget my
Feelings of hate

Imagine
Beating on your face
Trying to forget my
Feelings of hate

Feelings
For all my life, I