The Military Version of Free Speech

[quote]CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine is facing dismissal from the military for posting Facebook images of President Obama’s face superimposed on a jackass and for selling “Nobama” bumper stickers online, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Sgt. Gary Stein, 26, acted irresponsibly and disregarded repeated warnings that his anti-administration postings violated Pentagon policy involving members of the military, Marine CorpsCapt. John Torresala said during a hearing at Camp Pendleton.

Comments that were prejudicial to good order and discipline were posted on the Facebook page used by military meteorologists and could have influenced junior Marines, the prosecutor said.

Sgt. Stein’s security clearance was taken away and he has no future in the Marine Corps because he can’t do his job, Capt. Torresala said.

Backed by a team of lawyers and congressmen, Sgt. Stein is fighting to stay in the military and test its longtime policy of limiting the free speech of members.

His lawyers and the American Civil Liberties Union contend his views are protected by the First Amendment.
washingtontimes.com/news/201 … -stickers/[/quote]

No surprise, really, but I am all for it. One cannot serve a GOC, if one does not believe. That said, we can’t really have the ranks stepping out because they think the CO is a poof-da, now can we?!

This story resonates, not least of all on this site, due to much questioning amongst foreign and domestic U.S. service folks, upon this issue of leadership.
And, all that THAT entails.

Asshats will try and level it down to a “my cuntry, write, or long!” angle, but, I do well declare the issue at hand is far more complicated than that.