The MMA Thread

I thought Rampage looked good and he starting to work inside and then yep…still no ground game. Kudos to JJ. 0-1

REAL happy to see Nate Diaz submit Gomi. Diaz’s boxing looked sharp and his bjj was slick. 0-2

Kos by KO. Good bye Matt. 1-2

And Hunt makes a meatball sammich out of Rothwell’s face. 2-2

I end up even. Should never have bet against Diaz. :doh:

Oh and nice to see the lurker from Banciao.Hope you got home alright. :thumbsup:

Chick The Cat

Watching Jon Bones Jones toy with Rampage this morning, I was reminded of the most amazing thing I ever saw.

In what was yet to become the shadow of TriStar Gym in La Belle Ville, PQ, I first met Chick The Cat. The year was 1991 and I had just begun my “professional” acting career. I was sooooo broke, and about to be homeless, when I answered a roommate wanted ad on a bulletin board in what has since become McGill University’s William Shatner Hall. That was the day I met Sarah T and her cat Chick. Sarah and I hit it off right away and agreed to cohabit a nice little apartment in Le Plateau. Chick and I? Not so much. I am not especially fond of cats, but that had nothing to do with our relational discord. Chick The Cat was in fact, justifiably timid of all things. The previous fall, poor Chick had been smacked by a car and broke her rear right leg. In healing, Chick would sit, as cats do, but with her injured extremity fully extended in front of her. It was quite a pathetic little pose this brave little feline struck.

As spring crispened into summer, Chick the Cat discovered something that turned her from fearful little mouse-cat into Super-Cat. She developed a penchant for pigeons. Oh she became so enamoured of her own skill, she would often boast of her prowess to Sarah by presenting her with approximately a pigeon carcass a week. I could always tell the two were engaging in their strange ritual from the telltale sign of a trail of pigeon feathers leading down the hall to Sarah’s bedroom as I emerged from my own slumber.

One such morning, Sarah happened to be away visitng her partner in Toronto. The feathers were abundant that morning and lead straight through Sarah’s ajar bedroom door and directly to a pile of laundry she had sitting there. As she would be gone for at least 3 days, I overstepped the roommatequitte and gave the pile a quick rumaging. Alas no carcass.

I swept up the feathers and made myself a coffee. While rinsing out a cup, I see chick, to my right, in our bathroom. I say, “Oh Hi Chick.” Chick the Cat jumps out the window onto our back veranda where she is fond of sunning herself on one of our two framed couches that take up a good 70% of the available space between outer bathroom wall and 3-foot-high picket fencing that runs the length of our second floor veranda, leaving a narrow path between the door and stairs that take us down into the common yard filled with patchy grass and washing machine shells, punctuated by a couple of rusted out dead cars. Trust me, this is all important to the narrative. Please get a good picture of this veranda in your mind before continuing down the page.

I’ll wait.

Got it?

Okay, so Chick jumps out onto the balcony and I…take…double take…lean/gawk… and slide/squint…

Holy Pigeon Shit Batman, there’s the sky rat in my bathroom, hobbling about, injured, obviously, but still very much alive.

I grab the teatowel and slowly advance on the bird and with a deft toss, covered and scooped it up and carried it out to the veranda where I give the poor creature a gentle toss into the morning sky. It flaps furiously, struggling with every flutter to gain what little altitude it could, in such obvious distress. It flies away for about 5 meters when it gives up the effort and decides to u-turn and fly right back at me as if it wants to land on the picket fencing between us. When it was about two feet from completing its seeming mission, from beneath the framed couch behind me, springing in what can ONLY be described as cat-like quickness, a full two feet above and two feet over the fence comes Chick The Cat. Snatching the pigeon midair (by the throat no less) and 4 meters between her and the pigeon, and terra firma, Chick The Cat now using her preternatural Tai Chi, allows the momentum of her much lighter prey to propel herself back over to my side of the fence, where she lands on all fours, at my feet, tail in the air, pigeon in her jaws and wagging her ass, as she heads on down the stairs, her preferred method of descent, over the 4 meter fall she was faced with mere seconds ago. I had to check and make sure I wasn’t living in a cartoon.

Amazing. The Most Amazing Thing I Ever Saw.

Later that day, I see the same pigeon, come hobbling out of one of the shells in the Washing Machine Graveyard. Still alive.

Suddenly, a mighty paw slashes out from the darkness of the Maytag sarcophagus, trapping the poor pigeon now being helplessly tortured by Chick the Cat. And Chick The Cat looked me square in the eyes and…smiled.

During today’s UFC Main Event, Quentin Rampage Jackson reminded me of that pigeon.

And the look in Jon Bones Jones’ eyes was identical to Chick’s self-satisfied, “I can do whatever I want to you” look.

I saw the pigeon again that day. As the sun was setting on Le Plateau, my playwright friend visited me and was helping me run lines for the one man show he’d created for me (nice guy) for The Montreal Fringe. I was telling him the same story I’ve been telling you when, right on cue, the pigeon once again emerges from beneath some refuse or other and attempts to take flight over the now Alcatraz-like walls trapping it’s now flightless frame within the confines of our backyard. We decided that it had gone on long enough and we euthanized the poor thing. It was a very brave fight, but in the end, the pigeon wore it’s heart on it’s chest, quite literally. We had no choice, as sensitive human beings, but to put this pigeon out of it’s misery.

I felt and still feel what we did that day was in service to the pigeon. It had suffered enough and it needed to be over. I write this today in an attempt to perform the same service for Mr. Quentin “Pigeon” Jackson. You were brave, you had a good run, but in The New UFC, there is Jon Bones Jones. Shhhhhh, Quentin…everything is gonna be allright…just close your eyes…

Medical suspensions from 135 are out:

[quote]
Despite finishing the night without a visible scratch, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will be forced to sit out of action for six months for his victory in UFC 135’s headlining fight against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies’ Office of Boxing (DORA) handing down official medical suspensions on Tuesday, and Jones’ name is at the top of the list. Details regarding the injury list have not been disclosed[/quote]

Lots of rumors about this one. Jones was shown with lots of ice on his feets after the fight. Maybe broke a bone when Rampage (finally) checked a leg kick; also rumors that JJ busted his spinning elbow when it came into contact with Rampage’s thick skull.

[quote]The full list of UFC 135 medical suspensions includes:

Jon Jones: Suspended 180 days (or 45 days with physican clearance)
Quinton Jackson: Suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days
Matt Hughes: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
Mark Hunt: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
Ben Rothwell: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
Takanori Gomi: Suspended 30 days
Aaron Riley: Suspended 180 days (or 90 days with physician clearance)
Nick Ring: Suspended 30 days
Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days
Cole Escovedo: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
Ricardo Romero: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
James Te Huna: Suspended 180 days for injuries (or a minimum 30 Days with physician clearance)[/quote]

Feel real bad for Aaron Riley. Spencer Fischer broke his jaws years back and he got it broken again…midround…and he stuck it out to the bell…while repeatedly getting hit…in the face. :astonished:

Te Huna I think hurt his hand on the first uppercut he threw. Sucks. I want to see him fight again and soon! :bravo:

mmaint.com/ufcversus6-livestream :thumbsup: :popcorn:

[quote]Dana White announced on Twitter that UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones will defend the tile against former champion Lyoto Machida ay UFC 140. Rashad Evans was slated for a title shot against Jones, but a hand injury suffered in the fight with Tito Ortiz will keep him out of the title bout. UFC 140 takes place on December 10th from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with the following card…

• Champion Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida (UFC Light Heavyweight Title Bout)
  • Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  • Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz
  • Brian Ebersole vs. Rory MacDonald
  • Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung
  • Mark Bocek vs. Nik Lentz
  • Igor Pokrajac vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
  • Rich Attonito vs. Claude Patrick
  • Dennis Hallman​ vs. John Makdessi
  • John Cholish vs. Mitch Clarke[/quote]

Man, Rashad cannot get a break in the right direction.

UFC 136 this weekend:[quote]
Main card

Lightweight bout: United States Melvin Guillard vs. United States Joe Lauzon[1]

Featherweight bout: United States Leonard Garcia vs. United States Nam Phan[1]

Middleweight bout: United States Chael Sonnen vs. United States Brian Stann[1]

Featherweight Championship bout: Brazil José Aldo (c) vs. United States Kenny Florian[1]

Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States Gray Maynard[1][/quote]

I’ll be camping so I’ll have to catch this one on the dl.

I’ll go with Lauzon, Garcia, Sonnen, Aldo and Edgar.

Sweetness!!! ASN is showing Maynard/Edgar live at 9:00AM. Then rugby at Speakeasy at 1PM and Bruins/Lightning back on ASN for a nightcap. Sunday Sporty Sunday!!!

Predictions:

Maynard G&Ps Edgar to a 4th round submission, most likely an RNC.

Aldo easily handles Ken Flo, 2nd round TKO

And in the bout of the night, Sonnen ends Stann’s smarmy semper fie cockiness. 1st round KO.

Back to the undercards marine. The few, the proud, the ground and pounded. Sonnen rocks. Best post fight interview ever!

Wow. Hats off to The Answer. He is the Champ. No dispute there.

So meanwhile, Rashad is out on an injured thumb (?) and it’s Jones v. Lyoto way off in December. I have high hopes for Lyoto! I can easily imagine him spending three or four rounds dancing out of range, using his unparalleled footwork to land some strikes here and there, and eventually capitalizing on a mistake – and Jones does make plenty of mistakes. Thoughts?

I don’t think either stand a chance against Jones. I admire both those fighters but JBJ is here to stay. It’ll be more interesting to watch Lyoto as it’ll be more of a striking affair, but Jones is a machine. JBJ and Cain in a 215 catch weight or Silva at 200? The Reem v JBJ? I don’t think LHW Div has anything to challenge JBJ. Not even close. Then again, Big Nog? Or is he a HW?

The UFC is just about sewn up. Every belt has a champ that will likely hold on to it for awhile to come. Cain may have the toughest road ahead as Jr. Dos Santos is no trifling opponent and Reem waiting in the wings. But think about it? Cruz? Pretty stable. Aldo? Looked a little less than form against KenFlo, but I don’t see anyone coming up to challenge. I was pretty sure LW was a potential hot bed of challenge, but I don’t anymore. Edgar may be the best pound for pounder out there. Letting him out of the first round is like kicking to Hester. You don’t kick to Hester. GSP? Maybe Rory McDonald? Doubtful, but maybe. Every div sewn up for at least the next two years. Thoughts?

I don’t recall seeing LC fighting off his back. If JBJ takes him down…ouch. LC will do fine counter striking from the outside I think, but when JBJ bullrushes him, look out. LC will have to kick the spring out of JBJ’s legs for three rounds. When he slows down, like he did in the rampage fight, he could be in danger of the quick in and out right and left straights to the chin.

UFC 137 is this weekend and it should be GREAT btw.

[quote]
Main card

Welterweight Championship: Canada Georges St.Pierre vs. United States Carlos Condit[1]
Welterweight bout: United States BJ Penn vs. United States Nick Diaz[1]
Heavyweight bout: France Cheick Kongo vs. United States Matt Mitrione[1]
Heavyweight bout: Croatia Mirko Filipović vs. United States Roy Nelson[1]
Featherweight bout: Japan Hatsu Hioki vs. United States George Roop[1][/quote]

I’ll go with CC over GSP, simply because I cannot stand GSP and if CC gets his back, goodnight, eh.

Penn and Diaz looks to be fargin amazing. I’ll take Diaz, given his reach and boxing skills which probably surpass BJ’s. But oh man, I haven’t ever wanted to see a fight go to the ground like this one!

MM over Kongo.

Cro Cop’s last hurrah? Big Country can’t be knocked out? We’ll see. CC by liver kick.

[quote]
[edit] Preliminary card (Spike TV)

Lightweight bout: Germany Dennis Siver vs. United States Donald Cerrone[1]
Featherweight bout: United States Tyson Griffin vs. Poland Bart Palaszewski[1][/quote]

BIG LW ramifications…I’ll take Cerrone, but he’s got to get Siver down.

Tyson Griffin on the verge of a cut I’d say. He needs a definitive rebound victory here.

btw, my 136 picks were pretty darn good! :laughing:

I honestly thought Garcia had won it.

I predict Nate Diaz and Joe Laozon in the near future.

JFC. Now we have to wait for that. So is Diaz/Penn a 5 rounder now that’s it’s the main event? If so, Penn is in deep shit.

Noop…unless it changes again/ :unamused: [quote]
Nick Diaz’s Manager Cesar Gracie Wants Main Event of UFC 137 To be Five Rounds
Posted by Chad Webb on 10.18.2011

He wants to convince B.J. Penn…

UFC President Dana White recently announced that the new main event for UFC 137, between Nick Diaz and B.J. Penn, would not be a five-round match. Diaz manager Cesar Gracie recently made some comments about wanting to make it five rounds. Check out the highlights of what he said:

On wanting to convince Penn on making it five rounds: “We kind of want to make it a five-rounder.”

On what five rounds will prove to the UFC: “This kind of proves he’s ready to [fight for the title]. We really want it to show that Nick is ready. If you can’t go five rounds, how are you going to fight GSP?”[/quote]

UFC 137 is a done deal.

spoilers follow:

I picked:
Cerone over Siver. Check. Cowboy got him down with a shin to the mush and choked him out. Hello Frankie Edgar. :thumbsup:

Meathead over Kongo. Noop, and man, what a stinker of a fight. :thumbsdown:

Cro Cop over Big Country. Noop. Shame too. CC lost his knee in the Gonzaga fight years ago and never got it back. :thumbsdown:

Nick Diaz over BJ Penn. Check, and not only that, Diaz retired BJ. :thumbsup:

Diaz looked great, as usual. He stayed in the pocket and went to the body like Rocky Balboa. BJ’s face was a mess. i don’t want to see Diaz and Fitch. Sit him out until GSP/Condit is done. Believe the hype!

aaaand Dana has dropped da bomb! Diaz will fight GSP superbowl weekend!

FUCK YEAH! :discodance: :thumbsup:

Don’t be scared homey! :laughing:

Sweet. Condit stepping aside to let GSP and Diaz have a rip.

Great post fight picture of BJ and Nick Diaz.

Bj can barely get that hang loose up there! :laughing:

UFC on FOX 1 is done and man, some great fights!

The big two were

Clay Guida vs Bendo Henderson and thank you Jesus, we will NOT have to see Guida grapplef*ck his way to the UFC LW belt.

Bendo vs Edgar. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And the big one!

JDS vs Cain V was quick and painful. JDS is the new HW champ in a time of 1:04. Line up the cans, cause I don’t see anyone taking it from him.

Oh, and if you are into M-1, Aleksander.Emelianenko.vs.Magomed.Malikov.at M-1 Challenge 28. Fedor’s little brother got KTFO in about 10 seconds. :astonished:

btw, these videos can be seen at mma-core.com. :thumbsup:

UFC 139 is here!

What a month of fights![quote]

Main card

Light Heavyweight bout: United States Stephan Bonnar vs. United States Kyle Kingsbury[1]

Welterweight bout: Denmark Martin Kampmann vs. United States Rick Story[1]

Bantamweight bout: United States Urijah Faber vs. United States Brian Bowles[1]

Middleweight bout: Brazil Wanderlei Silva vs. South Vietnam Cung Le[1]

Light Heavyweight bout: Brazil Maurício Rua vs. United States Dan Henderson[1][/quote]

I’ll pick Bonner by bloody decision
Kampmann by dec
Bowels over mr overrated
Silva over Le by KO…why did they make these two fight? I love Le and would have enjoyed him kicking the shit out of Bisping!
I’ll go with Hendo, 4th rd KO.

edit:
Bonner by dominating bjj, but no blood. Check.
Kampmann by dec. Check.
Faber tkos Bowels. Crap…and I will admit that UF looked great. Cruz best be on his game for that fight.
Silva smashes Le’s nose to pieces and gets the tko. Check
Hendo gets the 5 rd dec in a fantastic back and forth fight. Check.

4/5 :thumbsup:

Hendo moves on and leaves Shogun rudderless in the division.

I saw on Facebook that there is a local MMA federation putting on a event on December 18th? PRO Fighting 6 I think it is called facebook.com/pages/PRO-Figh … 3370330207. I’m new to Taiwan but like to watch a good fight, anyone been? Any good?

I’ve been to all of them. It’s a rippin’ good time.