The mobile classroom

Language learning is a different beast from what it was in the past. In this day and age you can fit ALL of the best language learning tools in your backpack and take them with you everywhere you go. For anyone serious about learning another language I think this is the best way to acomplish whatever goal you’re trying to reach. Expecially for people with really busy schedules that don’t have time for a regular class.

This is how you can set things up:
A CD player for listening.
A PDA for flashcards (and other language tools ie dictionary).
The language book/s you’re studying.
And a trusty notepad and pen/pencil

Optional:
Digital camera for taking pictures of things you don’t understand.
A recorder to record things you don’t understand (usually built into a PDA).

What else do you need? The only other missing element is time to actually use what you’ve learned. This can easily be accomplished with a private tutor or a language exchange.

The reason I’m writing all of this is because I’m thinking about being a “Language Consultant”. My clients would hire me to help them create a method for language learning (make flashcards, find books to use, etc.)

What do you guys think? Would you use such a service?

All I know is I see a lot of people throw money away on language (English and Chinese) classes that get them no where (fast).

I think time (the time to read, study, practice, soak in another langauge) and an interest or desire on the learner’s part are very important.

Unfortunately, as a language consultant, I am not sure how much control you would have over these two elements. Sure, you can tell a busy top-level exec that if he or she want to improve his or her English/Chinese then he or she will have to put time aside and pick up a book (instead of relaxing after a long day in the office). But you can’t make them do this.

Some people seem to think if they pay enough or hire a language consultant, then the results will come. I don’t think that this will be the case–unless the people are willing to give the time and energy to the language learning.

Anyway, that’s just grumbling on my part. I wish you the best of luck with your language consulting, and I am sure that you will come up with some creative solutions to the challenges I just mentioned.