The Morgue 2004

Daniel Boorstin

A pity. I really enjoyed reading The Discoverers. Would that there be more historians of his caliber.

Crusty old broad, Hitler fan

Ha! I didn’t even click on your link, ML, because I read in the news this morning that Marge Schott had died and I felt she wasn’t even worth mentioning. Except for the fact that she inherited a fortune and bought a baseball team the old lady never deserved to be in the news.

Why, what a terrible attitude to have toward a unique individual. Have you no respect for the dead? I am shocked, shocked! at you, MT, for denigrating the memory of Ms. Schott.

Spalding Gray

cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ … index.html

Why is it smart, funny guys with a lot of talent end up killing themselves? I really enjoyed Swimming to Cambodia.

As a Cincinnatian, I can say she did more harm for the Reds than Pete Rose’s gambling ever did. Pity she died, but someone at her age with her smoking habit the only surprise was that she hung on for so long.

I’ve always wanted to see that movie. Anybody know where I can get a copy?

Abe, we hardly knew ye.
(the first one didn’t work)

Shouldn’t that be “babe, we hardly knew ye”? Who is/was she?

Old Brazilian midget who screwed Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr, Ava Gardner, Anita Ekberg, and Veronica Lake.

Philistine. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s Abe Vigoda, who played “Fish” on “Barney Miller”.

Bummer. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Next thing you know, Steve Landesberg will be gone too.

Paul Winfield
1941-2004

J.J. Jackson

Another legend passes away.

Oscar-winning actor Sir Peter Ustinov has died aged 82.

He’ll probably be remembered more for his talk-show performances than his movies because he was such a wonderful entertainer and storyteller.

Radio legend Alastair Cooke has died just days after retiring from his epic 58-year radio show. Seems to suggest that it’s better keep working till the end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3581465.stm

[quote=“Closet Queen”]Radio legend Alastair Cooke has died just days after retiring from his epic 58-year radio show. Seems to suggest that it’s better keep working till the end.

http://news.BBC.co.UK/2/hi/entertainment/3581465.stm[/quote]

God, that takes me back. I remember always listening to Letter from America on the car radio while returning home from fishing as a boy with my old man. Nearly 40 years later, Alastair Cookes’ voice still instantly transports me back to a time when it was always a warm summer’s evening, looking out into the blackness of a soft Angus night through a bug-splattered windscreen, with a boot full of fresh-run South Esk sea trout. Childhood memories.

RIP Mr. Cooke.

What a loss, although no less a loss than Ustinov, imo.

My first memory of Cooke, or rather the first program that I vividly remember with Cooke as host of PBS’s Masterpiece Theatre, was the BBC’s I, Claudius.

No! Not the Fish! I need consolation…does someone have Barney Miller on VCD to help me deal with the loss?

I also saw him first on Masterpiece Theatre, and wasn’t aware of “Letter from America” until I lived in Taiwan. On Sundays the BBC World Service would broadcast a couple of music programs and “Letter” … what a nice way to wrap up the weekend!

He was one of the few British journalists whom I felt really understood America, and was able to talk about so many subjects related to the country with incredible insight and an outsider’s perspective. Just by virtue of the fact that he had been around for so long allowed him to make historical connections with current events that was really quite amazing … I mean, he knew Chaplin, covered presidential elections starting in '36 … how many of the stuffed suits in Broadcasting nowadays can draw upon that kind of experience?

RIP, Mr. Cooke …

No zombie jokes, please