The Morgue 2005 (I)

cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/ … index.html

Congressmen Matsui – dead at 63

[quote]DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP)

[quote]
Airplane drummer Spencer Dryden dead

PETALUMA, California (AP) – Spencer Dryden, drummer for the Jefferson Airplane in the rock band’s glory years, including the breakthrough 1967 album “Surrealistic Pillow” and the Woodstock festival, has died of cancer. He was 66.[/quote]

cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 … index.html

jeffersonairplane.com/

Death of McDonald’s chief is second loss in one year

A second chief executive of McDonald’s Restaurants has died within a year, with Charlie Bell, the first non-American to head the restaurant chain, succumbing to colorectal cancer yesterday.

Mr Bell, 44, replaced James Cantalupo, who died last April after suffering a heart attack while attending a McDonald’s franchisees convention in Florida. He was 60.
Chairman Andrew McKenna said: “This is a company which will be 50 years old soon and for the first 49 years, we were never hit with a situation like this.”
An advocate of his own product who would eat McDonald’s for breakfast with his teenage daughter, Mr Bell’s period as CEO coincided with increasing criticism of the company’s food.
Public health advocates in the US identified obesity as one of the country’s biggest health problems and, as the largest fast-food outlet McDonald’s was a target. Mr Bell, seeking to protect the company’s image and reverse a loss of customers to its rivals, revamped the McDonald’s menu, introducing new salads, low-fat dressing, and brochures advising which items to buy to reduce calories and carbohydrates.
The chain offered to substitute apple slices and juice for fries and a soft drink in kids’ meals.
A few weeks after taking over from Mr Cantalupo, the Australian was told he had cancer, but stayed in job until two months ago, having started working at a Sydney McDonald’s outlet at age 15. Mr Bell become the country’s youngest store manager at 19, and went on to run McDonald’s Asia and Europe.
“I take every job at McDonald’s like it’s going to be my last,” he said in 2003. “If I die in this job, I will be very happy.”
Colorectal cancer is cancer of the colon or rectum. Although a connection to diet is unclear, researchers say regular exercise and plenty of fruit and vegetables offer the best protection.
The company last month spent $300,000 (

johnny carson passed on …

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … _carson_dc

Victoria de los Angeles Operatic super star of the 50s and 60s

smh.com.au/news/Obituaries/A … 44949.html

Nixon’s secretary, Rose Mary Woods, dies

cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/ … index.html

Sad news. :frowning:

Sad news. :frowning:[/quote]

Yes, that is correct sir

Sad news. :frowning:[/quote]

Yes, that is correct sir[/quote]
I remember he wanted his epitaph to read, “I’ll be right back.”

R.I.P. and Thank you.

Remember when the little marsupial took a leak on his head. I thought I’d bust a gut. A true master of comic timing. A real loss.

As an aside, I am glad he was able to live up to his wish to completely retire from public life. I don’t think I’ve heard peep about him since he left The Tonight Show.

Good-bye Johnny. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jim Capaldi, drummer for Traffic. One of the greats.

stevewinwood.com/news.display.item.php?ID=17
billboard.com/bb/daily/artic … 1000779534

my guess is – its only a matter of time

edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europ … index.html

BBC Science Writer Ivan Noble (read his diary)

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4193093.stm

BERLIN - German boxing legend Max Schmeling, one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time, has died at age 99.
Although he was buried earlier today secretly by his family, there will be held a public memorial ceremony later this month with the Federal President Horst K

Cowboy, you beat me to it.

Last night I had a dream where the actor Chris Cooper died. Does that count, or do you only require actual deaths?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

BERLIN - German boxing legend Max Schmeling, one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time, has died at age 99.
Although he was buried earlier today secretly by his family, there will be held a public memorial ceremony later this month with the Federal President Horst K

Louis’s and Schmeling’s first fight, in 1938, was a real corker. Schmeling told the press worldwide that he’d found a weakness in Louis’s style, one he wouldn’t share. He promised a victory, and he delivered in, I believe, the 12th round when Louis lost all heart after being knocked down multiple times.

Problem for Louis was that he didn’t return his left jab to his jaw. Instead, Louis had become accustomed to getting away with returning his left jab to his waist, to an area just above and outside his left hip. This was the weakness Schmeling had accurately identified. Louis had been able to get away with this because he was a devastating puncher. Most of his fights ended before the bell sounded to begin the fifth round. Louis had a devastating right cross - KO power delivered in less than 12 inches of lateral hand movment* - and an equally devastating left hook, and he was as quick as a cat.

In this first fight, Schmeling pounded straight rights over Louis’s left jab, at will. Lous never succeeded in figuring out what Schmeling was doing to win. No fighter can take that kind of punishment. When Louis couldn’t figure out the problem in 36 + 12 = 48 minutes (! - but neither could his corner), his will died and he took a ten-count KO in the twelfth.

As an aside, the punch that knocks you out cleanly is always the one you don’t - or won’t - see with your own eyes. It seems that if your brain doesn’t get a certain warning via the optic nerve only then it immediately stops functioning.

Many, many Americans in what are now called red states celebrated Schmeling’s victory (including my grandfather, who didn’t know why he held Cassius Clay’s vainglorious personality in such bitter regard until he remembered what he’d learned as a youth, from his rascist father and other frightened Kansas white males, about Jack Johnson). Because Louis’s most able predecessor, Jack Johnson, had viciously and openly humiliated the Great White Hope Jim Jeffries in 1910 (Jackson was banned from Texas as a result), Schmeling served as a welcome proxy to Jeffries’s broken 1910 promise. When Schmeling delivered on his promise of KOing Louis it was as if Jeffries had been vindicated in his pitiful effort against Johnson - the white race, too.

Both fights were central to modern black/white relations in today’s America. Johnson’s fight against Jeffries and Louis’s fights against Schmeling are central to understanding modern American race relations.

RIP, Jack Schmeling. You were always the good-hearted, unwitting tool of A. Hitler - and you once figured out how to beat the best pount-for-pound puncher the world has ever known.

*–Louis’s right cross was delivered on a lower-body platform identical to a reversed left-hook platform, less the hook. In other words, while Louis’s right wasn’t technically a hook punch (because it wasn’t delivered at the end of a lower-body rotation, like a horizontal-plane golfing tee shot - I believe this is known as angular velocity and the force is called the moment), Louis’s right hand was delivered at the end of a full hip rotation. It’s just that his right hand’s arc was tangential to the circle defined by his hip rotation. Just as Ted Williams was able to use his lower body to power his baseball swing, Louis was able to use his lower body to deliver devastating KO power even when his right hand had moved less than 12 inches before it struck his opponent’s chin.