The Morgue - 2011

Wow, this thread has been, um, dead lately.

Jack LaLanne, fitness guru, 96

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/sports/24lalanne.html?_r=1&src=me

This is more the way I remember him, though he was older than I am now when I was born:

I remember him. He was awesome! RIP, Jack.

One of my favorite quotes of his is one that I still remember from watching him on TV as a little kid.

“If it tastes good, spit it out!”

Too bad I wasn’t so good at following that one. LOL

Legendary sportswriter Matheson dies

[quote]WINNIPEG – A Winnipeg sportswriting icon died Monday evening after a lengthy illness.

Jack Matheson was 86.

The former sports editor of the Winnipeg Tribune also spent time with radio station CJOB and was a fixture on Winnipeg Blue Bomber broadcasts.[/quote]

[quote]Expos great Woodie Fryman dies
Pitcher won 141 for Montreal and was inducted into club’s hall of fame in 1995

• THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    FEBRUARY 06 2011 12:57 AM EST
    Woodie Fryman, who pitched 18 seasons in the major leagues and was inducted into the Montreal Expos’ Hall of Fame in 1995, has died. He was 70.

Fryman won 141 games from 1966-83 with the Expos, Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies, Detroit Tigers, Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs. He pitched primarily in relief late in his career, saving 17 games for Montreal in 1980.

Fryman had four career one-hitters.

In 1972, Fryman joined the Tigers in the middle of the season and went 10-3 with a 2.06 ERA for them, helping Detroit win the American League East.

Fryman’s death Friday night was confirmed by Price Brothers Funeral Home in Kentucky.

[/quote]

Gary Moore’s gone. irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre … ing25.html

Damn, that’s sad. I loved his early solo stuff.

Shit, shit, shit.

Gary was THE MAN. From just round the corner from me too.

Feck…

RIP Gary.

Tura Satana, who gained cult status for her role in the 1965 Russ Meyer movie “Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!” has died of heart failure at age 72.
Satana’s other credits include the 1963 film “Irma La Douce” and the television shows “Burke’s Law” and " The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

J. Paul Getty III – proof that money can’t buy happiness. Too bad.

[quote]J. Paul Getty III, who was a grandson of the oil baron once believed to be the richest man in the world and who achieved tragic notoriety in 1973 when he was kidnapped by Italian gangsters, died Saturday at his home near London. He was 54. . .

Mr. Getty had been wheelchair-bound since 1981, when a drug overdose caused him to have a stroke that left him severely paralyzed, unable to speak and partly blind.

At the time of his abduction, Mr. Getty was just 16 and living on his own in Rome. . .

Expelled from a private school, the young Mr. Getty was living a bohemian life, frequenting nightclubs, taking part in left-wing demonstrations and reportedly earning a living making jewelry, selling paintings and acting as an extra in movies. He disappeared on July 10, 1973, and two days later his mother, Gail Harris, received a ransom request. No longer married, she said she had little money.

“Get it from London,” she was reportedly told over the phone, a reference either to her former father-in-law, J. Paul Getty, the billionaire founder of the Getty Oil Company, or her former husband, who lived in England.

The amount demanded was about $17 million, but the police were initially skeptical of the kidnapping claim, even after Ms. Harris received a plaintive letter from her son, and a phone call in which a man saying he was a kidnapper offered to send her a severed finger as proof he was still alive. Investigators suspected a possible hoax or an attempt by the young Mr. Getty to squeeze some money from his notoriously penurious relatives.

“Dear Mummy,” his note began, “Since Monday I have fallen into the hands of kidnappers. Don’t let me be killed.”

The eldest Mr. Getty refused to pay the kidnappers anything, declaring that he had 14 grandchildren and “If I pay one penny now, I’ll have 14 kidnapped grandchildren.” His son said he could not afford to pay.

Three months after the abduction, the kidnappers, who turned out to be Calabrian bandits with a possible connection to organized crime, cut off Mr. Getty’s ear and mailed it, along with a lock of his hair, to a Roman newspaper. . .

Eventually the kidnappers reduced their demands to around $3 million. According to the 1995 book, “Painfully Rich: The Outrageous Fortune and Misfortunes of the Heirs of J. Paul Getty” by John Pearson, the eldest Mr. Getty paid $2.2 million, the maximum that his accountants said would be tax deductible. The boy’s father paid the rest, though he had borrow it from his father — at 4 percent interest.

The teenager, malnourished, bruised and missing an ear, was released on Dec. 15; he was found at an abandoned service station, shivering in a driving rainstorm. Nine men eventually were arrested. Two were convicted and sent to prison; the others, including the man prosecutors said was the head of the Calabrian Mafia and the mastermind behind the abduction, were acquitted for lack of evidence.

The aftermath of the ordeal left Mr. Getty as a reckless personality . . . Mr. Getty became a drug user and a heavy drinker. His grandfather had died in 1976, and after his overdose, he sued his father for $28,000 a month to pay for his medical needs. [/quote]
nytimes.com/2011/02/08/world … ml?_r=1&hp

Former Springbok scrumhalf from the 1960s and early 1970s, Dirk de Vos died on Saturday from a heart attack in Potchefstroom at the age of 69. Born on 8 April 1940, De Vos was educated at Graeme College, Grahamstown. He represented Western Province and Western Transvaal in Currie Cup matches.
De Vos represented South Africa in three Test matches, touring Ireland and Scotland in 1965, the United Kingdom in 1969-70 and Australia in 1971.
Altogether he played 18 matches in the green and gold.

Superman’s girlfriend, Lois Lane, has died. Or rather, the woman who inspired the character Lois Lane and who married one of the creators of Superman has died.

Uncle Leo from Seinfeld: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/ap_ … bit_lesser

Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart,
United Nations Intelligence Taskforce

Five rounds rapid!

a.k.a. Nicholas Courtney

Ok, I realize she was 89 years old and before our time, but surely Jane Russell’s passing is noteworthy.

Yoweee!

A blow for the music fans: Ex-Alice in Chains Bassist Mike Starr Dead at 44

Gone, gone, the damage done…

I read last week or so that the lady that is on the cover of Freewheeling, holding hands with Bob Dylan, died. I hope this doesn’t mean that he won’t come to Taiwan. She was his girlfriend I think.

Owsley dead in a car crash.

globalpost.com/dispatch/news … y-dead-lsd

[quote]A 1960s cultural icon, Owsley “Bear” Stanley, died in a car crash in Australia at the age of 76, his family announced Monday.

Stanley worked with The Grateful Dead as a sound engineer and was a prolific LSD producer.[/quote]

From a couple of days ago…

Sabres’ famed French Connection loses a member

[quote]BUFFALO, N.Y. - Two weeks after being reunited on the ice in Buffalo, the Sabres’ famed French Connection lost a member when Rick Martin died Sunday.

Martin was selected fifth overall by the Sabres in the 1971 draft, and immediately made an impact on the team the following season when he scored what was then an NHL rookie record 44 goals. From LaSalle, Que., Richard (Rick) Lionel Martin played left wing on a line with centre Gilbert Perreault and Rene Robert. They were eventually dubbed The French Connection.

The trio is still revered in Buffalo, and at HSBC Arena, where their three banners hang together in a row from the facility’s ceiling.

[/quote]