The Morgue 2013

nytimes.com/2013/01/03/arts/ … .html?_r=0

:frowning:

That’s Patti Page.

Aaron Swartz Age 26, co-founder of reddit and helped develop RSS standard when he was 14. Facing charges that he might serve 50 years for downloading and with the intention of distributing academic articles from the JSTOR funded by the public, he committed suicide.

50 years for intending to distribute stuff that’s supposed to be free? :fume:

The baseball world has lost a hell of a character in Earl Weaver.

BALTIMORE – Earl Weaver, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who won 1,480 games with the Baltimore Orioles, has died.

Mr Three-Run Homer himself, lovable 'ol Earl bites the dust.

RIP Earl Weaver

…although my wish is that some small(er) ball offense will finally drive a fucking stake in Earl’s baseball “philosophy.” The almighty home-run has just about killed the game.

Stan the Man. A sad sad day for baseball (having lost Earl Weaver, too). Baseball is infinitely poorer for Mizzou’s loss.

RIP Stan Musial

[quote=“flike”]Stan the Man. A sad sad day for baseball (having lost Earl Weaver, too). Baseball is infinitely poorer for Mizzou’s loss.

RIP Stan Musial[/quote]
Good lord, a horrible 24 hours for Major League Baseball.

hizzoner Ed Koch

guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe … -koch-dies

Koch was a dying breed of Democrat. Fiscally conservative, a huge supporter of Israel, supporter of many Repubs including George W in 2004, and a social liberal. Not afraid to speak his mind even if it offended.
RIP.

Former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop dies at age 96

[quote]Koop served as surgeon general from 1982 to 1989, under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

He was outspoken on controversial public health issues and did much to raise the profile the office of the surgeon general.

“Dr. Koop did more than take care of his individual patients – he taught all of us about critical health issues that affect our larger society,” said Dartmouth President Carol L. Folt. “Through that knowledge, he empowered each of us to improve our own well-being and quality of life. Dr. Koop’s commitment to education allowed him to do something most physicians can only dream of: improving the health of millions of people worldwide.”

Koop, called “Chick” by his friends, was perhaps best known for his work around HIV/AIDS. He wrote a brochure about the disease that was sent to 107 million households in the United States in 1988. It was the largest public health mailing ever, according to a biography of Koop on a website of the surgeon general.

He was also well-known for his work around tobacco, calling for a “smoke-free” society. [color=#FF0000]His 1986 surgeon general’s report on the dangers of secondhand smoke was seminal.[/color]
[/quote]

:discodance:

STOMPIN’ TOM CONNORS DIES AT THE AGE OF 77

[quote]Peterborough, ON (March 6, 2013) Today Canada lost one of its’ true musical icons with the passing of Stompin’ Tom Connors O.C.,LL.D.,Litt.D. Connors died of natural causes at his home in Ontario. He was 77 years of age.

Stompin’ Tom literally put Canada on the map with such songs as “The Hockey Song”, “Sudbury Saturday Night”, “Bud The Spud”, “Tillsonburg”, “Big Joe Mufferaw” and countless others.[/quote]

Original Yes Guitarist Peter Banks

FORMER IRON MAIDEN DRUMMER CLIVE BURR PASSES AWAY

telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar … weden.html

Princess Lilian of Sweden

King Ralph, Ralph Klein, former Alberta premier, dead at 70,

I thought someone would have mentioned this one but since no one did, I guess it’s up to me.

Phil Ramone died Saturday night.

Now to be honest, I had no idea who he was until I read his obituary and I was amazed that I had never heard of him considering the people he has worked with.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/03/01/173281990/phil-ramone-a-record-producer-who-made-simplicity-sound-sublime-has-died

Roger Ebert, noted film critic.

chicagotribune.com/news/chi- … 2338.story

[quote=“Gilgamesh”]I thought someone would have mentioned this one but since no one did, I guess it’s up to me.

Phil Ramone died Saturday night.

Now to be honest, I had no idea who he was until I read his obituary and I was amazed that I had never heard of him considering the people he has worked with.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/03/01/173281990/phil-ramone-a-record-producer-who-made-simplicity-sound-sublime-has-died[/quote]

Definitely not one of the real Ramones, and thank fuck for that.

Oh wishy washy velvet wearers of the world, gnash your false teeth and rend your wigs!