The Morgue 2014

Aitzaz Hasan, who stopped the United States from blowing up a Pakistani school.
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25663992

I believe you got that part wrong. Bombers maybe, suicide not so much.

I believe you got that part wrong. Bombers maybe, suicide not so much.[/quote]
Impossible, the various posters in the IP forum have assured me that everything going wrong in Pakistan and the Middle East today is solely the fault of the United States. Q.E.D. you are wrong.

Also moving on is Jay Cochrane, high-wire walker who in 2001 walked between 2 buildings across the Love River (were you there?).

http://www.jaycochrane.com/50-years-wire-jay-cochrane

plus some local ingratitude from the Super Star (sic) Works Multimedia Co. :slight_smile:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/local/archives/2001/10/20/0000107919

Oh No!! Trigger is dead :frowning:

Hiroo Onoda.

cbsnews.com/news/wwii-soldie … ies-at-91/

Pete Seeger, dead at 94.

theweek.com/article/index/255630 … -seeger-by

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Pete Seeger, dead at 94.

theweek.com/article/index/255630 … -seeger-by[/quote]

A good obit on Seeger. Really like the description of “Faux-childlike.” :laughing:

steynonline.com/6052/changing-his-tune

[quote=“shiadoa”]Oh No!! Trigger is dead :frowning:

[/quote]

This time next year, we’ll be millionaires!

What a 42 carat plonker you really are!

Oi, Vey!
One can slew that fellow travel about with reckless abandon, but it don’t matter none. Part of Amerian musical history, and a fine one at that.
That cracker can carry…

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]Pete Seeger, dead at 94.

theweek.com/article/index/255630 … -seeger-by[/quote]

A good obit on Seeger. Really like the description of “Faux-childlike.” :laughing:

steynonline.com/6052/changing-his-tune[/quote]

What lessons learned? Gulagtanamo wouldn’t even exist except for the fact that it’s planted on the soil of one of the last vestiges of Stalinism on earth because no democracy would long tolerate such a legal travesty on its soil. As the U.S. marches towards a totalitarian future with massive domestic surveillance, denial of due process, secret indictments, secret evidence, secret trials and all the other accoutrements of a police state it’s even turning the table on the old Soviet habit of driving its civil libertarian dissidents abroad to seek refuge. The only difference is now KGB is spelled NSA – and new Russia is the refuge rather than old America.

So, no, it doesn’t appear some lessons will ever be truly learned as we repeat history ad nauseam.

Philip Seymour Hoffman

My god, my god, why do you so quickly take the best from us?

devastating.

One of the greatest actors in my lifetime.

Wary the soul that trespass and trod on these grounds, the grounds from which we sprang. If ye be one tenth as much as he you might be in hope of redemption. How could anyone cast a disparaging word towards Pete Seeger? Too low for even a snail.

[quote=“elektronisk”]Philip Seymour Hoffman

devastating.

One of the greatest actors in my lifetime.[/quote]

God didn’t take him: he killed himself by taking heroin instead of looking after his three small children.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“elektronisk”]Philip Seymour Hoffman

devastating.

God didn’t take him: he killed himself by taking heroin instead of looking after his three small children.[/quote]

How it must hurt, to be so alone without love for anyone or be loved by anyone, that your contempt for those who do feel, feel.

[quote=“elektronisk”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“elektronisk”]Philip Seymour Hoffman

devastating.

God didn’t take him: he killed himself by taking heroi instead of looking after his three small children.[/quote]

How it must hurt, to be so alone without love for anyone or be loved by anyone, that your contempt for those who do feel, feel.[/quote]

Snort. Ok then. God was missing an angel and he called him back to the fold. He didn’t leave his children fatherless because he killed himself by accident in the most childish possible way.

‘Contempt’ would be a bit strong becausehe was a stranger to me and yet it would be mawkish, sentimental and slightly disrespectful to the people who actually knew him for me to rend my garments on his behalf. ‘Mild distaste’ would be more accurate and sincere, along with disappointment because I liked some of the films he was in, and he seemed like someone who gave something to the world through art. That’s rare. He seemed clever.

He was great in ‘Synecdoche, New York’, but then he wasn’t really acting, if you look at his eyes. That’s always sad.

[quote=“elektronisk”]

Wary the soul that trespass and trod on these grounds, the grounds from which we sprang. If ye be one tenth as much as he you might be in hope of redemption. How could anyone cast a disparaging word towards Pete Seeger? Too low for even a snail.[/quote]

Snail? Because people have the “chutzpah” to question the legacy of an apologist for Stalin? Then I’ll proudly be a snail.

In the end, how do you separate musicians from their politics? On some levels, when their politics are that odious, you just don’t.

First of all, Seeger hardly had a proletarian background. I think he was a total fake and a flake. Prefer Guthrie X 100.

[quote]
He palled around with Woody Guthrie, riding freight trains and hanging with hobos. But he wasn’t like Woody, who was the real thing, raised in hard times before joining the Okie migration out West. Mr Seeger came from Manhattan, the establishment, pacifist parents who traced their roots back 200 years and were classical musicians; his father trained at Harvard, his mother in Paris. Both taught at Juilliard. He hated the boarding schools he went to. [/quote]
economist.com/news/united-st … shie-banjo

From the neo-conservative Commentary Magazine

[quote]
It should be understood that his youthful infatuation with Stalinism was neither superficial nor a passing fancy. To his shame, he toured the country singing protest songs from 1939 to 1941. But he was not protesting the Nazis nor did he support those fighting them. Rather, he was part of the CP campaign conducted at Moscow’s behest that sought to combat any effort to involve the United States in World War Two. The Hitler-Stalin Pact had made the Soviets Germany’s ally until the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union brought them into the war. Seeger remained a party member until the 1950s and even long after he abandoned it, he continued to refer to himself as a communist with a small “c” rather than an upper-case one. [/quote]

From former Trotskyite turned Neoconservative Academic Ron Radosh (works for the Hudson Institute)

pjmedia.com/ronradosh/2009/05/02 … on-seeger/

For every season , Turn, Turn.

Who cares about his politics.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]

Who cares about his politics.[/quote]

People that had a relative that suffered under Stalin or Hitler might.

Your concern is touching.