The Morgue 2014

[quote=“Ermintrude”]

Snort. Ok then. God was missing an angel and he called him back to the fold. He didn’t leave his children fatherless because he killed himself by accident in the most childish possible way.

‘Contempt’ would be a bit strong becausehe was a stranger to me and yet it would be mawkish, sentimental and slightly disrespectful to the people who actually knew him for me to rend my garments on his behalf. ‘Mild distaste’ would be more accurate and sincere, along with disappointment because I liked some of the films he was in, and he seemed like someone who gave something to the world through art. That’s rare. He seemed clever.

He was great in ‘Synecdoche, New York’, but then he wasn’t really acting, if you look at his eyes. That’s always sad.[/quote]

Well there is surely a middle ground between ripping off your clothes and calling a dead addict childish. Addiction isn’t childish, yes it is selfish, but that is a symptom, surely. Addiction is an errant response to environmental stimuli. PSH had been clean for 20 years (according to what one reads) and something obviously set him off again. Could it be his recent separation? That is the sad part. Whatever was going on in his brain allowed him to believe that heroin was the best response, unless you believe that he suddenly decided to become a selfish prick and kill himself. He must have been in an awful state to have started abusing himself in that way. Awful enough to blow what most people in the world would consider an almost idyllic life (rich, married, well loved).

If you don’t have compassion for people who use drugs that is fine. But many people you will know DO self medicate for whatever reason and they need a bit of understanding and help. One should have more compassion for people when they are at their lowest, not when they are at their peak. Somebody I know recently pointed that to me when I complained about a mutual friend who seems to constantly find ways to fuck up whatever opportunity comes their way.

It is a shame that the man didn’t go and get help. It is a shame it lead to his death. It is a shame it will have repercussions for his now fatherless children. Is it a shame that illegal drugs are seen as a way to self medicate through the pain of life. These are the measured responses that show moderation of thought.

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Ermintrude”]

Snort. Ok then. God was missing an angel and he called him back to the fold. He didn’t leave his children fatherless because he killed himself by accident in the most childish possible way.

‘Contempt’ would be a bit strong becausehe was a stranger to me and yet it would be mawkish, sentimental and slightly disrespectful to the people who actually knew him for me to rend my garments on his behalf. ‘Mild distaste’ would be more accurate and sincere, along with disappointment because I liked some of the films he was in, and he seemed like someone who gave something to the world through art. That’s rare. He seemed clever.

He was great in ‘Synecdoche, New York’, but then he wasn’t really acting, if you look at his eyes. That’s always sad.[/quote]

Well there is surely a middle ground between ripping off your clothes and calling a dead addict childish. Addiction isn’t childish, yes it is selfish, but that is a symptom, surely. Addiction is an errant response to environmental stimuli. PSH had been clean for 20 years (according to what one reads) and something obviously set him off again. Could it be his recent separation? That is the sad part. Whatever was going on in his brain allowed him to believe that heroin was the best response, unless you believe that he suddenly decided to become a selfish prick and kill himself. He must have been in an awful state to have started abusing himself in that way. Awful enough to blow what most people in the world would consider an almost idyllic life (rich, married, well loved).

If you don’t have compassion for people who use drugs that is fine. But many people you will know DO self medicate for whatever reason and they need a bit of understanding and help. One should have more compassion for people when they are at their lowest, not when they are at their peak. Somebody I know recently pointed that to me when I complained about a mutual friend who seems to constantly find ways to fuck up whatever opportunity comes their way.

It is a shame that the man didn’t go and get help. It is a shame it lead to his death. It is a shame it will have repercussions for his now fatherless children. Is it a shame that illegal drugs are seen as a way to self medicate through the pain of life. These are the measured responses that show moderation of thought.[/quote]

The mutual friend who is hardly analogous! Of course, my words and actions if it were someone I knew would be patient and compassionate. I’d be acting though: giving a ‘measured’ response. Junkies and alcoholics made me shudder.

It’s sad that he’s gone. But he wasn’t ‘taken’.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]

The mutual friend who is hardly analogous! Of course, my words and actions if it were someone I knew would be patient and compassionate. I’d be acting though: giving a ‘measured’ response. Junkies and alcoholics made me shudder.

It’s sad that he’s gone. But he wasn’t ‘taken’.[/quote]

Well fair enough. I genuinely respect your opinions and your rights to have them.
I think there can be a fair bit too much of the old public prostration when celebs die, but how they die is more something I take pity on. Run over, heart attack, needle in the arm, old age. We all die, and we all need some level of respect when it happens. Don’t we?

I haven’t seen a PSH film for years because as you rightly say he is often just playing himself (and once you have seen Flawless you’ve seen his range), but it’s still sad he died when he could have continued for so much longer. It’s still sad he chose the wrong way to deal with whatever was making him feel so bad.

I have a lot to say about how we behave when people die. Not here though.

He was good in The Talented Mr Ripley. Love that film. He was truly a ‘supporting actor’ in that one because he knew to bounce off Matt Damon’s careful, measured character.

Maxmillian Schell, dead at 83.
reuters.com/article/2014/02/ … DS20140201

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Maxmillian Schell, dead at 83.
reuters.com/article/2014/02/ … DS20140201[/quote]

This is how I remember him:

Oh really? Did he SUPPORT Stalin and Hitler? Did he SUPPORT the invasion of Poland? Did he SUPPORT the Holocaust? Did he SUPPORT the Soviet Union’s forced labor camps?

If opposing American involvement in WWII makes him a Nazi, then that makes the majority of Americans Nazis, right up until Pearl Harbor. Or how about the entire communities of Amish, Anabaptist, and other peace churches throughout the United States and Canada, who opposed the war even after Pearl Harbor? A bunch of Nazis, huh?

Pete Seeger was a harmless old hippy who dedicated his entire life to singing about peace and equality. He supported the non-violent civil rights movement in the 1960s, and always kept his distance from violent groups like the Black Panthers. There was nothing violent or evil about Pete Seeger. Your accusation is absurd, inappropriate, and completely inaccurate.

He was a totalitarian troubadour. I especially like John Fund’s take:

[quote]
I found Seeger a highly talented musician who raised American folk music to a new standard. But, as with other artists — the Nazi-era filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl and the fascist poet Ezra Pound — an asterisk must be placed beside their names for their service in behalf of an evil cause.

I recall interviewing East German dissidents in 1989 who were still angry at Seeger and Kris Kristofferson for the concerts they did on behalf of the Communist regime that built the Berlin Wall. He was hailed in the pages of Neues Deutschland, the Communist-party newspaper in East Berlin, as “the Karl Marx of the teenagers.”

By all means, let’s remember Pete Seeger for his talent while also remembering the monstrous causes he sometimes served. [/quote]
nationalreview.com/article/3 … -john-fund

National Review. Now there’s a trustworthy source of info… :noway: :unamused:

Ha! Nice angle!
Too bad it is utter rot.
What is totalitarian is judging musicians by politics. Even those that dabbled in some themselves. But one can hardly be a folk musician, without singing about some sort of politics.
That aside, some of the most brilliant artists in history have had political beliefs that might have seen a good idea at the time.
So what?

Pirates great, longtime NY Mets announcer and malaprop maven Ralph Kiner, 91.

My pet frog, Froggy.

RIP.

RIBBIT.

Shirley Temple Black died yesterday. She was 85.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Temple#Death

Comedian Sid Caesar, 91.

latimes.com/obituaries/la-me … z2tAk8bmlL

Papa Walton. :cry:

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26185124

Devo’s Bob Casale

Well, there’s our three for actors. Who will be the next two musicians?

Genesis Carmona

[quote]Venezuelan beauty queen Genesis Carmona, 22, fatally shot in head during protest

Genesis Carmona, who served as her state’s 2013 Miss Turismo, was shot in the head in the city of Valencia Tuesday. The 22-year-old died Wednesday afternoon, marking the fifth fatality during the country’s ongoing political turmoil.

Read more: nydailynews.com/news/world/v … z2tpHCoG00[/quote]

nydailynews.com/news/world/v … z2tpIddwNM

Actually, 3 deaths, 2 this week: another Miss was stabbed to death in her car, too. But usual violent crime. :cactus: