The Morgue 2018

I forgot to post this the other week.

BLOODTHIRSTY MOB OF “RELIGION OF MERCY” FANATICS DEMANDS DEATH OF INFIDEL FOR BLASPHEMY!!! :runaway:

…is not the headline this man will be remembered for. They finally got their wish, but it took about half a century.

He even went on the “Merv Griffin Show,” a popular television talk program, though the event, held before a live audience in a Broadway theater, was a debacle. He was given two minutes to speak. “The response was a violent one,” he wrote later, “forcing the director to close the curtains and order the band to play forcefully, and after this event a crowd greeted me at the stage door, demanding my death.”

He would make an interesting addition to our “Who is Christian?” thread.

His theology was esoteric and not easily understood, leaving most people, including many clergy, to react viscerally to its basic premise. Confusing matters was that the few theologians in his intellectual circle — including William Hamilton, Paul M. Van Buren and Rabbi Richard Rubenstein — did not agree among themselves on how God had died, why he had died or what his death meant. They were essentially writing God out of the picture, but they did not consider themselves atheists; Dr. Altizer called himself a Christian atheist, further muddying the waters.

1 Like