The Morgue 2021

We grew up watching his movies on TV

4 Likes

Hapandleonards2

Oh man…I’m so bummed. Awesome actor who brought the character Leonard Pine to life in Hap and Leonard. I’ve never seen him in anything else, but if he was great in Hap and Leonard, then he had to be great in any character he played.

Why? Why drugs? Just fucking why?

4 Likes

This made me smile. I’m sure Hap and Leonard is great, but I’d never heard of it; and a comment like this, to me at least, is a bit like saying “Hey, Harrison Ford was great in Witness. I’ve never seen him in anything else …”

Kudos to Williams for making such an impression in so many different roles.

2 Likes

Wait, you haven’t seen The Wire? Watch it immediately. Seriously, you won’t regret it.

1 Like

He was great in The Wire. One of the best characters on one of the greatest shows of all time.

3 Likes

It’s a bit like The Expanse, but fewer space battles or rail guns. Lots of characters of Amos’s level - all from Baltimore, for that matter. In my head canon, some of the characters in The Wire are Amos’s ancestors.

Now that I think about it, Amos and Omar are almost definitely in my top ten TV characters of the past twenty years - and not a little overlap between the two of them.

(Since @MalcomReynolds has announced his love of The Expanse a few times.)

I’m now imagining this whole thread around Williams’s death just using the one word “Fuck” (even if Omar isn’t in that scene).

2 Likes

Ha, I never would have thought of this comparison. For me, it’s the best deconstruction of American urban dysfunction and decline (criminal justice, politics, the media, education, etc.) I’ve ever seen on the small screen, and at the same time a highly entertaining story with great characters…something I would’ve considered almost impossible to pull off until I’d seen The Wire.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s a bit of a silly comparison, very much tailored to MalcomReynolds’s tastes. But they do have a little more in common than I’d have initially thought.

I’m apparently not alone in thinking that.

1 Like
1 Like

Ok. Downloading now. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiit! You’re gonna love it. (you’ll get the reference later)

6 Likes
2 Likes

Great writing.

1 Like

Today a Vox podcast had a post-credits moment, with no explanation, of Omar / Williams whistling “Farmer in the Dell”. For a second or two I wondered what on earth was going on, then I almost teared up.

Time to get around to watching Lovecraft Country.

1 Like

Yeah, it really humanizes him. Maybe if @gain read it, he’d change his tune.

Yep. I mean to check out the one @MalcolmReynolds mentioned too.

1 Like

This happened a month ago, but I had no idea. Used to listen to him all the time on NPR in the 2000s.

1 Like
2 Likes

Maria Mendiola has died at age 69
(2241) Baccara - Yes Sir, I Can Boogie (Starparade 02.06.1977) (VOD) - YouTube
Maria Mendiola, one half of Spanish duo Baccara who had 1977 hit Yes Sir, I Can Boogie dies aged 69 | Daily Mail Online

Another really hard one. Damn these past few weeks have really sucked….

We’ve lost the best news anchor that SNL ever had. :disappointed:

5 Likes

Fuck. I was just watching a YouTube video and people were sharing Norm Stories. The video was from a while back so not in response to his death.

The first comment on YouTube was about how other comedians tell stories about Norm like he is dead.

1 Like