The Morgue 2022

1 Like

A few days after Mike Bossy, another legend of that hockey era gone:

1 Like

Somewhat surprised Lafleur made it to 70. Still vividly remember how that guy smoked like a chimney.

RIP.

Guy

1 Like

My favourite player.

2 Likes

Cross-post:

Loob-McDonald-Nieuwendyk

Battle of Alberta

My mom liked them back in their glory days.
Something off-kilter must’ve happened.

“Today we sisters experienced a tragedy. We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness,” the statement said. “We are shattered. We are navigating profound grief and know that as we loved her, she was loved by her public. We are in unknown territory.” The statement did not elaborate further.

The Judds were to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on Sunday.

4 Likes

The first concert I ever attended in my life was the Judds back in 1987. I was definitely not a country fan, but I went to accompany my wife. I ended up really enjoying their music. RIP mama Naomi.

2 Likes

Who is “Jimmy” Hendrix? Had that same shit my whole life. :rage:

1 Like
1 Like

He definitely looks familiar… Character actors are the true unsung heroes of Hollywood. We rarely remember their name. They don’t get any of the fame or fortune of the big stars, but in just a few scenes they sometimes add so much to a show or movie they’re featured on. RIP to this guy.

Enter John Travolta. In 1980, the movie heartthrob introduced country & western cosplay to America as the star of Urban Cowboy , a film about an oil worker who lets off steam riding the mechanical bull at Gilley’s club. Based on a 1979 Esquire story, the movie became a pop-culture sensation and spawned a smash soundtrack featuring songs by Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels Band, and Johnny Lee, whose “Lookin’ for Love” was all but inescapable at the time. Gilley also had a cut on the soundtrack — a version of Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me” that topped the country survey and hit Number 22 on the Hot 100.

2 Likes

For those familiar with Taiwan ethnography and documentary filmmaking, you will almost certainly be familiar with the work of Hu Tai-Li (胡台麗). If you don’t know who this is, and if you love Taiwan and all its complexities, you should. Her films have opened my eyes to parts of Taiwan I would otherwise never have seen.

Sadly, she has reportedly passed away. RIP.

Guy

4 Likes

A report from Focus Taiwan:

Guy

2 Likes

Damn
:grimacing:

With drugs and COVID, you guys are really thinning the herd.

Wonder what the pro-“life” folks have to say about this. I imagine they must be working hard to reform the health system.

Oh they aren’t? That’s odd.

Guy

fentanyl killing the young. Some see it going to 200,000 deaths per year

Brutal.

Guy

I read that China outsourced production to Mexico because Trump shut down the exports from China.

Go figure: